Victoria Amp owners....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victoria Amp owners....

What is your favorite or owned model. and which Fender does it most closely compare to? I plugged into a 5112 trying out some strats with my pedalboard and RMC2 on deck, and holy ****. I was thinking it was some ****ty little amp as it only had one knob, and WOW. I like fenders because they are transparent and so clean, but this amp was transparent like i like yet had a ****load of character too. I guess this is just your chance to either hate on or praise the Victoria amplifiers you've had extensive experience with. Rant away, I am very interested in these amps.
    They also list Trey Anastasio as an owner/user.... any idea what model he's playing, or any sort of verification of this claim? wouldn't surprise me, but I couldn't find anything about that.....

Re: Victoria Amp owners....

The 5112 is a Champ with a 12 inch speaker, cool little amp but not much if you compare it to a bigger tweed...

Im partial to tweed Fenders (and their clones) but my fav narrow pannel amps include the Deluxe, Super and the Bassman
    Last edited by the guy who invented fire; 11-03-2008, 06:24 PM.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

To a person with my ears its basically impossible to surpass a tweed in terms of perfect OD tone..... I was looking for an amp with more wattage and more controls, i.e. one of the models with bass/treble and a few more knobs. do they make anything in the blackface realm?

Comment

Victoria has built their rep on tweed reproductions, and they've probably been the most successful at that. Lately they've branched out with a few different designs.

any of their amps will have more power than that 5112 -- just figure out how much power you need for your situation, and find an amp to match.

as far as BF types, look at the Victoriette and Victorilux, although they are not BF repros.

I have a Double Deluxe -- a great amp. Not a repro of an old tweed model, but an amp that was built to fill a customer's request for a tweed Deluxe, but with more power.
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

oh and to answer my own question about Trey:

Mark Baier informed me that he purchased 2 45410's and a 2 Reverberato's. He did NOT buy them direct, but through their 48th St (Manhattan) dealer.

Comment

I played a Vickie double deluxe that was magical.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F View Post
              Scott, as you know, I have your Celtic Aislynn(tweed deluxe)and had the opportunity to a-b-c my amp with a new fender tweed deluxe, a Victoria tw.dlx, and my Aislynn. IMHO, the Aislynn blew the fender out of the water, and easily held it's own with the Vicky. Of course I have a Merc. Mag. output transformer and a Weber AlNico speaker in her too! I hope you get a chance to dedicate some serious hours to amp building again! If you remember, about 2 years ago, I had the chance to do a show w/ Derek Trucks, and he loved the way the amp sounded! I played on a big stage with about 2,500 people , just had a SM57 in front of her.Had it dimed for 45 minutes, what a sound!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F View Post
                I own a Vic Double Deluxe that IS magical. I love that amp to bits.

I've played the champ with 12, the 4x10 bassman, the Victorilux 6l6, the trem de la trem, the regular deluxe clone and the 40w tweed twin. All of them are great amps. The clean on the Victorilux was particularly special.

I chose my double Deluxe after being absolutely blown away by the Vic Deluxe, taking it to a soundcheck and finding it had nowhere near enough volume, spread or headroom for my needs. So I ordered the double version. I've used it with all my bands and on all my recordings since I got it.

For me, there's only one thing better than a Vic Double Deluxe: a Vic Double Deluxe and a 65 London head and 2x12 in stereo.

There is one amp that comes very close to the Double Deluxe: the Swart SST30. Very similar tonally, but with great reverb and trem too, and a cool Marshally voice if you swap from 4x6V6s to 2xEL34s. I may have bought an SST instead of the DD if it were available when I bought mine. I'm not looking to swap, though, as it would be a move sideways.
                Originally posted by Jolly
                ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

the only vic's i have played more than a few times are a double deluxe which is fantastic and the 35310 which convinced me i needed a mid wattage tweed amp

Comment

I too am looking at the DD ( I have a 20112 w/blue) and the Swart sst30. I cant try the Swart and none of the demos are with Strats. Any advice?

Comment

Originally posted by thesjkexperience View Post
                      I too am looking at the DD ( I have a 20112 w/blue) and the Swart sst30. I cant try the Swart and none of the demos are with Strats. Any advice?
                      I'd probably go for the SST, due to it's very cool trem and reverb. As I mentioned before, when you swap out the 6V6s for EL34s you get a very cool, slightly loose older marshally feel. It's quite a noticeable change and neat to have. But in stock form (especially with JJ 6V6s) it's a very similar amp to the DD.

If you want more volume, go with the Vic DD and replace the stock 4 ohm Jensens with 2 speakers that can take 50w at a combined load of 8ohms. We stuck my DD on the bench and found that at the stock 4ohm load it puts out 36w, but with an 8ohm load it puts out 50w. I guess the choice of a 4ohm load is an intentional ohmage mismatch intended to drop the overall volume of the amp.
                      Originally posted by Jolly
                      ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

When I saw Lyle Lovett some yrs back, his gtr guy had a Vic, sounded absolutely cooligilico.

Comment

I had the hi-power Vicky tweed Twin for a couple of years, but it really didn't float my boat; maybe the speakers, maybe the amp, but it was more BF sounding than tweed. Same thing with a few 45410's I've used...a little too much headroom. The mid-power models seem to be the best of the lot to me; the 35310, the DD, etc. If I were to lay out the shekels for a tweed clone, I think I would lean toward a Clark or a Santa Ana...

Comment

I've played the double Deluxe and it's amazing, but the Swart SST-30 is just mind blowing good. With its Tweed/Brown and Marshall like tones that's all it's own, you couldn't ask for more. The cleans are fantastic, and the reverb trem are to die for. My next amp for sure.

Comment

Working...
                            X