Marshall Valvstate 8008 power amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Valvstate 8008 power amp

I guess Billy Gibbons was noted using them once? Hard to believe as it I guess fully solid state, how can valvstate power amp have a little tube in to "warm it up"? Is ohms selection is just as important on these things as on the tube heads?
    Active Duty Rig:
    MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
    Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Re: Marshall Valvstate 8008 power amp

with a Tube Factor by H&K or Peavey Damage Control , with another multi FX rack processor in between, will anything decent come out of it?
    Active Duty Rig:

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

It's mostly going to depend on your preamp. The Valvestate 8008 is a good sounding power amp thats pretty easy to get, requires almost no work to keep going (no tubes, bias, etc) and is pretty light weight. FWIW, Billy G uses them all the time and has been for over 10 years now...he loves them.
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

fwiw they're also in iron maiden's live rigs(all 3 guitarists!)
        Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
        ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

I have one, works great and sounds awsome! The only problem is my channel B isn't working...
          TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

What Christian said. Real workhorses and the light weight is a plus. Much easier to lug around than the Dual Mono Blocs.

Originally posted by super rad ska View Post
            fwiw they're also in iron maiden's live rigs(all 3 guitarists!)
            Incorrect. They use the Dual Mono Bloc power amps, or the tube loaded boat anchors as we used to call them at the shop I worked at...LOL.

Comment

ooooh! sorry 'bout that. however, i did see gibbons' rig with the same power amp as iron maiden's at one point, which is this one:
              iron maiden(janick's spare rack):

in the guitar player holiday issue, it showed a bunch of rigs, and they had the same power amp. the issue showed iron maiden's 2000 rig and billy's current rig.
              Yo, i'm Ryan™.

Comment

Originally posted by super rad ska View Post
                ooooh! sorry 'bout that. however, i did see gibbons' rig with the same power amp as iron maiden's at one point, which is this one:
                iron maiden(janick's spare rack):

in the guitar player holiday issue, it showed a bunch of rigs, and they had the same power amp. the issue showed iron maiden's 2000 rig and billy's current rig.
                Neither one of those two power amps in that rack are valvestates. Both of them are the Dual Mono Bloc, 100 watts PER side. Freakin' monsters. That rack has to weigh a ton.

Comment

What are the two Marshall units on top of the JMP1's?

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                    What are the two Marshall units on top of the JMP1's?
                    Their multi-effects processors. Can't remember the models. I've played through a similar setup before with the effects processor, preamp and that same power amp through a couple Marshall 4x12's and it's a kickass setup.

Comment

The effects processors are JFX-1.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                        Neither one of those two power amps in that rack are valvestates. Both of them are the Dual Mono Bloc, 100 watts PER side. Freakin' monsters. That rack has to weigh a ton.
                        i know they're not valvestates, i'm just saying that i've seen billy gibbons' rack have these in it too
                        Yo, i'm Ryan™.

Comment

I use an 8008 in my main rig. They're a decent sounding power amp, fairly transparent. I use mine on the full range setting as opposed to the "Valvestate" setting. The speaker cab I run them into has two 8 ohm speakers, but they'll handle down to 4 ohm and in a way, it's even more important that you pay attention to the resistance, because it's a solid state amp.
                          Last edited by Hellion; 12-17-2008, 02:03 PM.
                          www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                            It's mostly going to depend on your preamp. The Valvestate 8008 is a good sounding power amp thats pretty easy to get, requires almost no work to keep going (no tubes, bias, etc) and is pretty light weight. FWIW, Billy G uses them all the time and has been for over 10 years now...he loves them.
                            Ok, so its completely solid, no starved power tube or anything like that. So its linear and valvestate options, what is the difference in those? And how exactly do the great BG use them?

P.S
                            all of this and other thread are for my singer who decided that eventually he would be one of those dudes with guitar.
                            Active Duty Rig:

BadHoarsie Original ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Allright, my bro got yesterday a old Peavey 412MS with Shefields 1290. Its 16 ohms mono and 8 stereo. So how does he rewire this cab for 8008 since its only 4 ohms?
                              Active Duty Rig:

BadHoarsie Original ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Working...
                              X