Ritchie Blackmore In A Pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ritchie Blackmore In A Pedal?

Title says it all I guess... I get nice Blackmorish tones when I boost the mids on the TSL crunch channel in our rehearsal room... mainly from my bridge pickup but I was wondering what else could give me some of that famous tone... I know he was using treble boosters and that weird recorder pre amp (which was tube driven AFAIK)...
    and I know about the BSM models... what else is out there?
    how are those BSM models? (besides expensive...)

Re: Ritchie Blackmore In A Pedal?

Originally posted by JohnnyGuitar View Post
    Title says it all I guess... I get nice Blackmorish tones when I boost the mids on the TSL crunch channel in our rehearsal room... mainly from my bridge pickup but I was wondering what else could give me some of that famous tone... I know he was using treble boosters and that weird recorder pre amp (which was tube driven AFAIK)...
    and I know about the BSM models... what else is out there?
    how are those BSM models? (besides expensive...)
    Before I got past the first sentence, I was thinking "BSM." I have a BSM OR, which is fantastic. It's so small and innocuous, you'd never know it can do what it does. The true Ritchie pedal is the BSM HS-S, I suppose. As an alternative, check out the Keeley Time Machine Boost. I probably use that pedal more than the BSM. Versatile and high-quality—you can't go wrong.

- Keith
    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
    I am just jug the merlot

Comment

A pedal alone won't really do it. His tone is rather easy to dial in- what helps more is low output pickups in a strat.

He's had a few different tones depending on what era

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey View Post
        Before I got past the first sentence, I was thinking "BSM." I have a BSM OR, which is fantastic. It's so small and innocuous, you'd never know it can do what it does. The true Ritchie pedal is the BSM HS-S, I suppose. As an alternative, check out the Keeley Time Machine Boost. I probably use that pedal more than the BSM. Versatile and high-quality—you can't go wrong.
        The BSM is tempting. I love the one to no knobs attitude... beats tweaking every time. It's so expensive though.

BTW,
        I dissed you for buying a Les Paul in the "why buy a LP" thread and got no response... you might say you didn't notice... but I know you were just speechless...

Originally posted by jmh151 View Post
        A pedal alone won't really do it. His tone is rather easy to dial in- what helps more is low output pickups in a strat.

He's had a few different tones depending on what era
        We all know that. And with RB it really is in the fingers... however, we share or search for information here and if someone reads this threads and says - "man, I got great Blackmore tones with this in that..." it is info that one would be happy to get.

Plus, after all of the "Hendrix/EVH/Marshall/Mesa/CC Deville in a box" threads, Blackmore also deserves one.

Comment

BTW,
          I dissed you for buying a Les Paul in the "why buy a LP" thread and got no response... you might say you didn't notice... but I know you were just speechless...
          Oh yeah, I saw that and laughed. I was, indeed, rendered speechless.
          Originally posted by ImmortalSix
          I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Plus, after all of the "Hendrix/EVH/Marshall/Mesa/CC Deville in a box" threads, Blackmore also deserves one.
            No.

He deserves A LOT more.
            But yeah, Blackmore used a Vox for Machine Head (except Smoke on the Water). And MH, IMO, of course, has the quintessential Blackmore tone.
            Guitars:
            http://my.opera.com/KK91/albums/slideshow/?album=969652

Comment

He really didn't use a lot of gain- but lots of delay in his Rainbow years...some tape flanging on the studio albums too. He also switches pickups like crazy, so it is impossible to nail him down. Early DP was an ES-335 through a Vox. I think though, the key is his tone isn't in a pedal- its his technique.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                the key is his tone isn't in a pedal- its his technique.
                Agreed, btw last I knew, he lived somewhere close by here in CT, maybe I will run in to him. Last time I met him was backstage in the early 80s on the Rainbow, Riot and Scorpions tour. He is about as tall as Ronnie James Dio and twice the prick but I grew up listening to Deep Purple and Rainbow so I overlook his moodiness

Rick Derringer lives a few towns over from me and John Arch ex-Fates Warning is a neighbor (and personal friend) here in town
                Ladies, as long as I have a face, you will have a place to sit

2001 Gibson Les Paul Standard
                2010 Gibson Explorer '76 RI

Comment

The closest I've been able to get to Ritchie's Deep Purple MkII and MkIII tone was using a Lovepedal Eternity, a white '06 model. Here's some live recordings of the results...

Mistreated

Highway Star

Demon's Eye

Cheers.................................. wahwah
                  Highway Star
                  Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
                  Mistreated
                  Cause We Ended As Lovers
                  Go ahead...check out my solo album @ http://geoffwells.bandcamp.com/

Originally posted by JOLLY
                  Strats are better than Les Pauls.

Comment

Ritchie Blackmore in a pedal? Honey, I shrunk the guitarist...

I know, but I had to say it...

Northwinds,
                    The new Guitar world states he has a big home in CT.
                    Also, taken a new direction with music
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Richie lives in NY state. I wont post a link, but if you google enough you can find a google maps shot of his place. Also, keep in mind scalloped neck, glued and bolted on neck, KT88s in 150+ watt marshalls (If we are talking about live sound) And mid pup installed "face" down.
                      Active Duty Rig:
                      MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
                      Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        He really didn't use a lot of gain- but lots of delay in his Rainbow years...some tape flanging on the studio albums too. He also switches pickups like crazy, so it is impossible to nail him down. Early DP was an ES-335 through a Vox. I think though, the key is his tone isn't in a pedal- its his technique.
                        The technique is indeed important here - but it's the same with EVH, SRV, etc...

I was just listening to the Perfect Strangers album yesterday and thought - he can get such a great tone in his solos...

Mincer, we both agree that his main solo on Knocking At Your Back Door sucks, but his outro solo on the track is pure magic... tonewise I'm pretty sure there was some sort of boost in there...

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
                          Richie lives in NY state. I wont post a link, but if you google enough you can find a google maps shot of his place. Also, keep in mind scalloped neck, glued and bolted on neck, KT88s in 150+ watt marshalls (If we are talking about live sound) And mid pup installed "face" down.
                          He's lived in New York for many years now. A client of mine is neighbors with him, and claims every once in a while he can hear Ritchie crank up the amplifiers.

In the past, like many celebrities, he's rented out castles for interviews, claiming that's his home in order to maintain his privacy.

Comment

How about other treble boosters? or overdrive pedals?

Might be something out there that won't cost an arm and leg...

Comment

Ritchie was my first guitar hero.. thats another reason why at first I wanted nothing but a Fender. I guess most have said it already it is going to be diff to nail his tone, as his tone changed with diff eras. But the first thing that come to my mind is Crancked Marshals, treble Boosters and tape delays.. of course that changed a bit here and there. But a good over drive pedal should work well.
                              sigpic
                              Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
                              JFG Flying V,
                              "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
                              John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

Working...
                              X