Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5E3 Delux vs. Marshall 18 watt: Opinions

Howdy,

This thread is for the comparison of Fender's tweed 5E3 Deluxe amp to Marhsall's legendary 18 watt combo. Please post your thoughts about the tone of one or both amps. Share your opinions about strengths/ weaknesses. What guitars, styles are best with each amp? Chime in!

Eggman

PS: If you have experience with a clone, that counts. Share your experiences.

Re: 5E3 Delux vs. Marshall 18 watt: Opinions

The only 18 watter I've played is a clone, but it seemed a lot grindier than a 5E3. Turn down a 5E3 and you get tweed cleans; kind of dark but detailed. The 18 watter is chimier...all this depends on speakers and what version of an 18 watter you might have...

I'd say a 5E3 is better for vintage USA tones with more low end, an 18 watter better for rock/more modern stuff that is brighter...the EL84 amps never impressed me with bass response.

Comment

I agree about the bass response ... the Marshall 18 watt hand wireds I've heard lack bass compared to a 5E3.

however, there are a number of boutique 18 watters I haven't heard. It's possible that some of those might have addressed that issue.
      "music heals"
      facebook

Comment

Originally posted by eggman View Post
        Howdy,

This thread is for the comparison of Fender's tweed 5E3 Deluxe amp to Marhsall's legendary 18 watt combo. Please post your thoughts about the tone of one or both amps. Share your opinions about strengths/ weaknesses. What guitars, styles are best with each amp? Chime in!

Eggman

PS: If you have experience with a clone, that counts. Share your experiences.
        This is the very question that I have been considering. In my case, I am considering an amp build project. I have it narrowed down to a 5E3 and a 18w lite. I'm sure that I will love either. But, the 5E3 seems a bit easier to build from the schematics. Especially since I found a loaded 5E3 circuit board that will simply things for my project a great deal. I'll be interested to see the additional posts.
        Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
        -Conrad Hilton

Comment

ive played stock and tweaked versions of both. stock they are cool but kinda "lacking" in some ways. the 5e3 has a spongy low end when turned up, the 18w can be brittle at high volumes and lack low end at lower volumes.

modded versions of either can fix those issues but it can be a trade off.

i have a 5e3 clone and the only thing ive done to it is change the recto tube to a 5v4 to up the voltage a little. if you stray too far from stock you can loose some of the mojo these classic amps have

Comment

Here is the problem with comparison...

I've been lucky enough to play several original 50's 5E3 Deluxe amps and I've played loads of clones...I've only ever played 1 original 18 watt Marshall but I have played loads of clones and even tried the reissue from Marshall.

This is the issue...several of the 5E3 clones are true to spec and have the same or very similar tone and feel (Mission, Kendrick and Clark come to mind) however of all the 18 watt Marshall clones I've tried NONE of them compare to that original!

Builders that do 18 and 20 watters try and up the gain and/or power or they try and tweak them voicing of the amp so that in their mind it sounds like a 50 or 100 watt Plexi Marshall...IMHO this KILLS these cool amps!

Now, with all that out of the way...

To my ears, and based on the ORIGINAL forms of each of these amps...the 18 watt Marshall (which had an original G12M25 Greenback) lacked low end compared to the 5E3 and had an extended top end compared to the 5E3...now, that same amp run to a closed back 2x12 with unknown Celestions had MUCH more low end but still had the same, almost spikey top end. A 5E3 (loaded with original P12Q), while having more low end is a softer almost flubby low end.

The 18 watt Marshall is louder even through the 1x12 combo cab than the Deluxe, quite a bit louder to my ears.

Also, the 18 Watt Marshall was nastier, more gainy...now, keep in mind EVERY 18 watt clone I've ever had a LOT more gain to me than the original but even the stock original 18 watter was nastier than the 5E3.

Also worth mentioning, there are hot rodded 5E3's out there as well...the Greer Underdog comes to mind...looks like a 5E3, based on a 5E3...sounds very little like a 5E3 so keep all these things in mind when comparing these amps.
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by ES350 View Post
              I'd say a 5E3 is better for vintage USA tones with more low end, an 18 watter better for rock/more modern stuff that is brighter...the EL84 amps never impressed me with bass response.
              That's the thought I always get in my head. Marshally is more modern.
              Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
              -Conrad Hilton

Comment

I prefer a 5E3 amp over the Marshall . . .

Here's a short demo of my handmade 5E3 clone. This one is in a poplar cab, finished in amber shellac. Unfortunately the camera I am using really compresses t...

1960 all original Fender Tweed Deluxe Amp*Update* This video was taken some time ago, with a cheaper Canon camera (early 2000's). The video was made for a po...

Weber "5E3" . Clone of 1955 F€nd€r Deluxe using a De ARMOND by GUILD, model MT-75 (bigsby vibrato, DeArmond Alnico Pickus.Some Improvement : Replaced th 1st...

Me playing a Weber 5E3 kit. I'm using a Fender 52 RI Tele. Notice the early breakup on this amp. Nice tone.

(many good 5e3 clips on Utoob)

. . . but . . .

Proguitarshop makes this Marshall sound more than just OK :

Buy Now: https://goo.gl/o1Qv6bWell, it's about time! The new hand wired Marshall 1974x 18 Watt combo is easily the most impressive amp constructed by this le...

I know this amp is not in the OP's question, but i prefer the this Marshall (20Watt) tone wayyyy over the 18W Marshall !

Buy Now: https://goo.gl/E8bwMaThe Marshall 2061X Hand Wired Head is a meticulously replicated reissue of the 2061 Lead and Bass heads Marshall produced in th...

Hope this helps !

James
                Stoner Rock and Stoner Metal are interchangeable terms describing sub-genres of rock and metal music. Stoner rock is typically slow-to-mid tempo, low-tuned and bass-heavy. It incorporates elements of Psychedelic Rock, Blues-Rock and Doom Metal into a more repetitive and riff-centred style. Melodic vocals and 'retro' production are also common traits.

Gibson SG Special w. SD A2P's ->pedal board ->Bassman

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                  The 18 watt Marshall is louder even through the 1x12 combo cab than the Deluxe, quite a bit louder to my ears.

Also, the 18 Watt Marshall was nastier, more gainy...now, keep in mind EVERY 18 watt clone I've ever had a LOT more gain to me than the original but even the stock original 18 watter was nastier than the 5E3.

Also worth mentioning, there are hot rodded 5E3's out there as well...the Greer Underdog comes to mind...looks like a 5E3, based on a 5E3...sounds very little like a 5E3 so keep all these things in mind when comparing these amps.
                  Of the clips that i heard, i would still take the Greer Underdog Mod 1 over the Marshall.

http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/new...nk--ngu15112m1 - clips.

Infact, i really like this hot rodded 5E3 !!!

James
                  Stoner Rock and Stoner Metal are interchangeable terms describing sub-genres of rock and metal music. Stoner rock is typically slow-to-mid tempo, low-tuned and bass-heavy. It incorporates elements of Psychedelic Rock, Blues-Rock and Doom Metal into a more repetitive and riff-centred style. Melodic vocals and 'retro' production are also common traits.

Comment

What's the tonal difference between the 5E3 Deluxe and the 5E2 Princeton?
                    -Conrad Hilton

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar Toad View Post
                      What's the tonal difference between the 5E3 Deluxe and the 5E2 Princeton?

I 'think' the 5E3 has more of a gritty low end crunch and the 5E2 has a more smoother over driven tone, compared to the 5E3 - i think !

James

Comment

Howdy,

I noticed a used Pierson 5E3 on Gbase w/ a Weber AliNiCo "Blue Dog" speaker in mint cond. for $1,100. Temptation!

Eggman

Comment

Howdy,

Slowgroove: Thanks for posting all those clips! I just wish somebody on Youtube would do something besides try to wail like Eric Clapton in '69. What'd really give me a better idea of how the 5E3 sounds is for someone to post a clip of himself firing salvos of chunky riffs a la Keith Richards.

Eggman

Comment

A 5F2 Princeton is nothing more than a tweed Champ with a tone control....quite different from a tweed Deluxe.
                            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by eggman View Post
                              Howdy,

Slowgroove: Thanks for posting all those clips! I just wish somebody on Youtube would do something besides try to wail like Eric Clapton in '69. What'd really give me a better idea of how the 5E3 sounds is for someone to post a clip of himself firing salvos of chunky riffs a la Keith Richards.

Eggman

I hear you !!!

James

Comment

Working...
                              X