X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who makes mesa boogies tubes?

just curious who they get them from.

Re: who makes mesa boogies tubes?

They get them from all over. Whether they are Russian or Chinese, Mesa Boogie's philosophy is reliability. They prefer plug-and-play reliability for their customer's amps, and pretest their branded tubes to fit their philosophy. If a tube supplier starts wavering in reliability, Mesa may switch suppliers.

Tonewise, whether Mesa's philosophy mates with the tone requiements of the end user, is another matter.

I happen like my Ruby/China relabled Mesa power tubes.

Comment

Off the top of my head...

STR-417 6V6 - TAD 6V6GT
      STR-425 5881 - Sovtek 5881WXT
      STR-440 6L6 - TAD 6L6GC-STR
      STR-447 EL34 - Electro-Harmonix EL34
      STR-450 - NOS Siemens EL34
      EL84 - Electro-Harmonix EL84EH
      12AX7 - Chinese
      SPAX7A - Sovtek
      12AT7 - Chinese
      5AR4 - Shuguang 5AR4
      5UG4 - Sovtek (black base) or China (brown base)
      5UG4B - Electro-Harmonix 5U4GB
      5Y3 - Sovtek?
      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by some_dude View Post
        EL84 - Electro-Harmonix EL84EH
        That's funny, caus I am a big EHX fan, and was wondering how they would sound in my mesa, lol. Guess I already know.
        - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Yeah I keep with the Mesa powertubes. Now I have been thinking of trying out the goldpin 12ax7's and 12at7 from EH.

Comment

The "russian 2" tubes I pulled out of my roadster look a lot like a Sovtek 12AX7LPS.

Comment

Originally posted by krankguitarist View Post
              The "russian 2" tubes I pulled out of my roadster look a lot like a Sovtek 12AX7LPS.
              They were, but they switched to Chinese made 12AX7s a couple of years ago.

Some people rag on them because they're chinese, yet others seem to think they sound really good and "9th generation Chinese tubes" were getting a lot of recommendations on the internet for awhile.... recommendations that seemed to die off after the arrival of the new Tung Sol 12AX7

Myself, I'm undecided on the subject. I have one amp loaded with Tung Sol and another loaded with Mesa branded Chinese, but I've never bothered to swap them and compare.
              || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by Sludgenutz View Post
                They get them from all over. Whether they are Russian or Chinese, Mesa Boogie's philosophy is reliability. They prefer plug-and-play reliability for their customer's amps, and pretest their branded tubes to fit their philosophy. If a tube supplier starts wavering in reliability, Mesa may switch suppliers.

Tonewise, whether Mesa's philosophy mates with the tone requiements of the end user, is another matter.

I agree that this is the case with Mesa and that it is subject to change on a monthly basis.

There is a greater disparity of reliability than there are differences in "tone" when it comes to tubes coming from the 4 factories. Quality often means "tone". Some people like the sound of bad tubes. I've read that some recording engineers will often use known bad tubes. Even so bad that they have loose components or are microphonic in order to get a unique sound. On the 4 factories producing tubes for audio applications like guitar amps, the verifiable tube quality (& their respective "tone") coming from each factory changes quickly, with expert opinions that are found on the internet lagging by a year or two. A good way to really know is to talk to a tech who goes through 1000s a month. Only 2 of the factories are making quality tubes at this time, and by the time this thread gets resurrected in a few months, it will have changed again.

Hotly debated topic that I will now leave for others. Right now, I'll take Chinese (relabeled and tested as TAD, Ruby, Mesa), and =C= (original) Svetlanas, and say no thanks to JJs, and no thanks to the other 50 kinds that come from St. Petersburg via NewSensor (Mullard, Tung-Sol, EHX, Svetlana rip-offs, and on and on).

Next tube-change maybe I will re-evaluate after talking to my techs to see what they've been experiencing.
                Last edited by PVFan; 05-17-2009, 07:17 PM.
                tele / wolfie
                pittbull 50cl
                greenbacks

Comment

well that helped. looks like i got e.h. el-84s.

Comment

Originally posted by Sludgenutz View Post

Whenever I come across some Ruby tubes I always get "Good-bye Ruby Tubes day, Who is gonna hang a name on you. ..." by Melanie playing in my head!
                    I'm probably not the only one...

Comment

Originally posted by lalunatech View Post
                      Whenever I come across some Ruby tubes I always get "Good-bye Ruby Tubes day, Who is gonna hang a name on you. ..." by Melanie playing in my head!
                      I'm probably not the only one...
                      Ruby Tuesday is a STONES song!. Melanie?. Jeez.....
                      Al

Comment

Working...
                      X