banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who here thinks they use more distortion than anyone else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: who here thinks they use more distortion than anyone else?

Originally posted by Jackson Distortion View Post
    My gain is maxed out, so unless somebody else's amp "goes to 11", I may possibly win this one.
    My amp "goes to 12"
    Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

where is WFD when you need him!
      "Get a BIBLE: open it, read it, and believe it" - Me

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson Distortion View Post
        My gain is maxed out, so unless somebody else's amp "goes to 11", I may possibly win this one.
        Does your amp just not have that much gain, or do you seriously do this anyway?
        I can't imagine turning the gain up much higher than about 5-6 on most modern high gain amps, plenty of saturation at that point.

Comment

(((Volume RULES))) . . . and then some dirt.

Just ask Angus & Malcolm Young.
          Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

I use as little as I can get away with. I even set up my modelling amp models for faux Power tube distortion by manipulating them the same way. All that pre-amp gain sounds great when someone else is using it, but I hate it live/in person- compressed dynamics, no mojo, guitars natural tonal characteristics are pretty much nullified (which maybe is a good thing for alot of guitars)

My hottest pup is a 10K broadcaster wind for my Tele, and I have a set of "average" PAF types in my Hamer..mid eights, high 7s for the neck. Fender cranked Deluxe/Marshall MF levels of gain and occasionally boosted for a solos

At any rate, after doing the low output, high output, low output, high output, and back again to low output over the past 25+ years, I've come to the conclusion that Distortion is for pedals and amps, not pickups,and that gain is like alcohol- best used in moderation.
            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

wish I could combine the Boston-Scholz gzzz sound with like, I don't know, whoever the modern equivalent of Black Sabbath or Kyuss would be. Maybe that Red Fang band, I dunno, the right people know what I mean.

metal.
              tele / wolfie
              pittbull 50cl
              greenbacks

Comment

I'm just the opposite. I'll think I'm using too much, then listen to the recording to find out that my tone was nowhere near the amount I thought it was, or hear on other recordings. I like the sound to have enough, then no more.
                - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

whereas I like the gronkt, what with the shunking and all
                  tele / wolfie
                  pittbull 50cl
                  greenbacks

Comment

Count me in. Invader bridge and alt 8 in the neck pushing a variety of OD/Dist pedals: Jeckyl/Hyde (Hyde used more often, on it's highest drive setting), recently purchased Distortron, Direct Drive, and Metal Zone 2.

Oh, and my modded deville's high gain channel is insane and, depending on the day and how I feel about the mods...lol..blows the pedals away. Plus the clean channel handles these types of pedals really well.

And I really like the Distortron. The only minor item is a slightly loose bass feel, but I found that running it after the Jeckyl, with both engaged and both on medium settings, is solves that and gives an incredible thick tone from the Jeckyl with crispness and more harmonics added by the Distortron. And running the Distortron after the direct drive has a similar effect.

Pretty happy with the variety I'm getting now. Just need to solve my speaker woes.

Comment

I'm pretty high gain, Boogie lead drive on 5.5, OD in front of it, Duncan Iommi/Super3/Ironman pickups. At home it's MXR OD-Rat-clean amp.

I doubt that wins, I still like a little clarity.

Comment

Having bought an Orange TH30, I can now sound huge and brutal without having to crank up the distortion... It's amazing since I can keep all the dynamics of mid-gain while having the thunder sounding low-mid-range still pounding.

Comment

Working...
                        X