Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Early Crate Amps.

Originally posted by thespricket View Post
    I've got a Crate Vintage Club tube combo from the 90's. It's held up pretty well, and sounds great to me. Their stuff is totally hit or miss, more of the latter unfortunately.
    That was the first good sounding amp Crate ever made.
    When it came out, everyone plugged into it and had to take a double take at the logo, just to make sure they weren't imagining things!
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
      When it came out, everyone plugged into it and had to take a double take at the logo, just to make sure they weren't imagining things!

I was similarly blown away by the first tube Crate I plugged into. SO different from the "chomp" sound on chords the SS Crates did.

Still, I think of those first tube Crates as modified Ampegs. Crate didn't have any tube products until after 1986 when they got the Ampeg patents and designs.
      - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
      Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
      The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

The new tube amps aren't all that bad sounding, but rest assured, they use the cheapest components possible, and won't last more than 6 or 7 years.
        Which is still 8 years longer than a Bugera
        Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

funny, you should say that. The first thing i did when I got the amp home was take the little "CRATE" name plate off the front.
          Gear:
          Fender '03 CIJ Antigua Strat
          Epi Dot Natural
          Partscaster blackie
          Breedlove Passport Mahogany
          VOX V845 -> MXR Blue Box -> Boss CS-3 -> MXR Phase 90 -> Paul C. Tim OD -> Fulltone Plimsoul -> Boss CE-3 -> EHX Memory Toy -> SD Deja Vu Delay >
          Marshall Artist 30 4202 or Bugera V5

I WORK FOR GC, IF YOU NEED A DEAL PM ME!!!

Comment

looks like it was to be competition for a pignose.

I've still got a GFX-15. Too handy to get rid of, yet not enough resale value to be worth anything.

Comment

Ah, the original Crate...in a crate !!! I remember very well seeing the ads in Guitar Player magazines. I liked the look...i guess they were thinking 'outside the box' ??

Musta been around the same time as the Fender Jerry-can (Oil-can?) amp and the Pignose i guess.
              Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Howdy,

Thanks for posting, Gearjonser! My first amp was very similar to the pic you posted at the top. Bought it new in the Spring of 1980 in Beaumont. I was still in 10th grade. That Crate was a big step "up" from plugging my Strat into my stereo, LOL.
                I used my Crate for C&W gigs during my undergrad days at LSU. I'm not proud to admit all of this, but it suuure takes me back.

Eggman

Comment

My second amp was a Crate G40CXL; I spent soo many hours on that thing until I started going to band practices n realized "heh" not loud enough. I then bought a Crate GT80 DSP<---- tube hybrid n played that until I bought a GX130C Head ( also named AMPEG VH140C ) w/ Crate|Celestion special designed 4X12. I loved Crate amps and never had the issues that I hear so often.

In fact ppl snickered as I rolled my half stack into gigs; until I played it.
                  It even did several jobs for others when there beloved Marshall's melted into a puddle.

The store I work at was the first Crate dealer in Illinois and we stayed with them until the company was bought out.

the only issues I ever encountered with crate was during the 90's they had a run of bad chorus curcuits and afew fresh from the box sorta whistled, but, only afew I ever saw.

I was PROUD to own a Crate during the late 80`s and 90's.

Comment

I had two Crate amps that sounded really good. One was a Blue Voodoo 60 watt although as said, a real cheap build. The second was the Lee Jackson designed Stealth combo. That amp was killer hooked up to a 4X12, although it was fugly. I had a Crate ministack that sounded atrocious, but looked really cool, lol.
                    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
                    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
                    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
                    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

So let's get out of the eighties and the bad memories.....how god/bad are Crate amps NOW!?

And yeah, I remember the "gas can amps"......had an 8" battery powered one......thank God for gainful employment!

Comment

OMG... I had one of those crappy early 902 30w Crate amps. The gain on that thing was horrible. Sounded like a second grader blowing her nose.
                        Originally posted by Jessie's ghost
                        I like having the stop bar all the way down. Sue me. I've got like six dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by L.W. Badger
                          So let's get out of the eighties and the bad memories.....how god/bad are Crate amps NOW!?
                          Hit or miss as always. I've got a V50 combo - had to have it refurbished cuz it wouldn't power up one day - reliability issues were common. But the refurb was done quickly and Loud paid for the shipping, so I have zero complaints about customer service. [unless it breaks down again!]s

I like the V50 cuz it has a great clean channel, lots of headroom for, and is very pedal friendly with, overdrive or dirtboxes. The distortion channel has a murky metal / rock sound. Which might not be a selling point for some folks, but it's great for a saggy doom metal or stoner rock sound. My overdrive pedal sounds amazing out of both channels - from chimey and gritty garage rock to sludgetastic Electric Wizard! Reverb is medium crappy. The quality of the distortion channel would probably change with a better speaker.

The SS Shockwave and Tidalwave amps are great for death metal and grindcore, but they don't make them anymore. I've heard the Palimino amps were a musical step up from the V-series - better speakers and reverb for roots and classic blues and rock. The Blackheart stuff is Crate, and those are great affordable tube amps.

Like most companies - they have their diamonds. But being a budget-oriented brand, they have a lot of amps that litter used gear lists and pawnshops.

Comment

A friend of mine had one of those Crates- I don't remember what was worse- the Crate or the Kingston I had...
                            *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                            Originally posted by Slash2987
                            Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                            Originally posted by PVFan
                            I'm a good sex man.
                            Originally posted by Grumpy
                            I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Actually I just got a CR-IIR at the local flea market for $15.00, a little contact cleaner, and clean-up, and I'm amazed at how loud this little beater is. Ran a DGFX1 into it w/ a couple of my guitars, and it really doesn't sound too bad. Can't find any specs on it though other than it being a 60 watter. any info would be helpful.

Comment

I prefer the plywood and the fuzzy grey indoor/outdoor carpet era.

Comment

Working...
                                X