Amp for Gary Moore Tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp for Gary Moore Tone?

I LOVE Gary Moore's lead tone, so amazing, I am in the market for a new head and I want to get a tone like his. I am thinking about an Orange 50 watt head of some kind or a Marshall JCM800, I'm open to other suggestions as well.
    Thanks!
    Originally posted by jcthejester13
    Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Re: Amp for Gary Moore Tone?

Gary mainly uses a Soldano SLO or Bluesbreaker set for mild breakup, then hits the front end with an older Marshall Guv`nor pedal for solos.

Doesn't mean you'll get his tone though........it's all in the hands

Comment

Gary mainly uses a Soldano SLO or Bluesbreaker set for mild breakup, then hits the front end with an older Marshall Guv`nor pedal for solos.
      Anyone know what he used in his Thin Lizzy days?
      Gondola Kid
      Bandcamp
      Facebook
      JimijaymesGuitarist
      Youtube

Comment

Marshall....

Comment

I would strongly consider a Marshall 900 50W head. This amps get a bad rap but they have the Gary Moore sound in them. Check one out. They are pretty reasonable too.
          "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

The old Marshall Guv'nor pedal is the Gary Moore tone if used into a Marshall however barefoot Dave is spot on...several JCM900's will get SCARRY close to that sound...
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Which Gary Moore tone?

Gary is one of those guys who has mostly used "current" amps- yet his tone has not changed all that much over the years.

early 70s he used Plexis/Metalfaces and then onto JMPs for the late 70s- for studio stuff he often used a distortion box plugged directly into the board ( "My Sarah" is an example from Black Rose)

Solo stuff throughout the 80s was JMP/800s goosed with DS1s or Tubescreamers (so yeah a good 900 like a MKIII super lead would be real close)

His early Blues albums were the Soldano goosed with a Guv'nor.

In recent years he's been using DSLs, and VMs and there is a pretty current clip of him on youtube at the Marshall factory playing- you can check out his current rig there, IIRC it's a JVM but not positive.
              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Good call JeffB.....

Gary Moore has an awesome tone mainly cause his playing is so darn aggressive and awesome.
                Check out a few vids and practice your NARDS off!!!!!!!!!!!
                Ibanez Roadstar II
                EBMM AXIS HoneyBurst
                VHT 50/12 Pitbull

Jack Nicholson: It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good.

Comment

The Marshall Guv'nor was bought during the Still Got the Blues recording sessions (GM claims that he had recorded the title track solo with it in one take on the day he bought the pedal).

Not sure he kept using it for that long afterwards...

But yeah... a Marshall with a simple overdrive/distortion should do the trick for you.

Comment

I know he was using a DSL JCM 2000 on the "Live At Monsters of Rock" DVD that was filmed in 2003, and the tone was absolutely incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by James Rock View Post
                      Anyone know what he used in his Thin Lizzy days?
                      ... dunno about TL... but his early solo work (Victims of the Future- era) was done w/ a 100w plexi Super Bass head and a Boss DS-1.
                      Originally posted by XSSIVE
                      2011 twittered, it wants the 80's guitar playing talent back.
                      Originally posted by formula73

@YHWH: she's not worn out, just broken IN.

Comment

It really is more of an attitude thing....Gary goes for it, just use some British sounding amp and be somewhat aggressive about it (what ever dirt pedal or the amp itself)
                        And some Celestions the gives that old middy tone.

Comment

i love the tone he has on corridors of power; it sounds like a strat and a marshall turned right up with nothing fancy added; so raw and powerful! you can hear him fighting the guitar to get that sound out!
                          something marshall-ish with either a LP or a Strat (depending on what era you're aiming for) set up with just enough preamp gain to tip the amp over the edge and plenty of volume! you need to get that classic power amp distortion happening...and as some other guys said, just dig in and attack the guitar like Gary!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post

His early Blues albums were the Soldano goosed with a Guv'nor.
                            He only toured with the Soldanos. In the studio he used Marshalls and the Guv'nor pedal. He took the Soldanos on the road because he felt they were more roadworthy than his old Marshall amps.
                            Gravity...its just a theory

Comment

back in 1984/85-ish there was a video set called Rock School... it was sopposed to let rock stars explain how they get their sounds and so on... Gary Moore's Victims Of The Future era band was in the video a lot... Ian Paice and Gary had a lot of clips in it...

the one thing that stood out in my mind was when Gary was explaining his Boss Pedal Board set up... he turned them all off and then put each pedal on one at a time... he had a double stack of 800's behind him and they were set pretty flat with hardly any dirt to them... and he kicked on his DS1 and bam!!! it sounded great...

Comment

Working...
                              X