banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fulltone Robin Trower Overdrive ,,, any experiences ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fulltone Robin Trower Overdrive ,,, any experiences ?

I'm looking for a new overdrive pedal, and have shortlisted down to 3 ....Crowther Hotcake, Flynn Hawk Booster and the Fulltone RTO (Robin Trower Overdrive). I use tube amps, all non-master volume (I'm a relic of the 70s) and I much prefer an organic and musical overdrive to high-gain crunch. Most of my amps are EL84 based designs. Guitars are Strats (all S/S/S) and humbuckers in mahogany/maple (LP, Hamer).

Can anyone tell me about the RTO pedal and how they feel about it? All experiences, thoughts and opinions welcome. Cheers.
    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Re: Fulltone Robin Trower Overdrive ,,, any experiences ?

When I saw Robin Trower he was using it. He sounded really good. Coincidence? You decide.

Live at the Blue Note, Columbia, MO 06/10/09

Comment

I been listening to Trower for a few years,,, 35 or so.
      I happened to discover some of his tone myself useing a Strat, CS-3, UniVibe, Morely Dist/Vol/Wha into a delay DD-3, to split my signal between a Marshall DSL 100 Halfstack and a Fender Blues DeVille 4x10..
      It did not take long to figure out why I liked that sound so well..
      Fulltone makes some very good stuff for him.
      But his signal chain is a bit long..
      Interesing to note.
      The album befor last, he used 2 Blues Jr's to record it with..
      I have one and understand why he likes the tone..
      His current album, "What Lies Beneath" he uses all 15-18 and 20 watt amps.
      He backs a couple of tracks with an 80 watter, just for the vibe.
      Though generally he has been touring with a pair of Vintage Modern rigs for reliability..
      You can see a Plexi along side of one in your vid.
      But his new album is worth checking out..
      If you like to hear him bend the crap out of some small amps..
      Hes pretty good at it..
      In this video segment, Robin talks about some of his favorite venues, and his upcoming touring plans with Jack Bruce and Gary Husband.

:o http://vimeo.com/1915270
      Last edited by D.Dailey; 12-31-2009, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by D.Dailey View Post
        I been listening to Trower for a few years,,, 35 or so ..............
        ....... If you like to hear him bend the crap out of some small amps..
        Hes pretty good at it..
        In this video segment, Robin talks about some of his favorite venues, and his upcoming touring plans with Jack Bruce and Gary Husband.

:o http://vimeo.com/1915270

Great links. I heard a lot of RT back in the 70's, and he still plays as well as ever, maybe better.

I should have mentioned in the opening post that I'm not fussed about trying to sound like RT himself, and also that I only usually use one overdrive pedal, although i will be running a Rangemaster treble booster clone as well. The only other pedal I use is a delay, either before the amp or in a loop if one is available. I guess i'm curious as to whether the RTO pedal is versatile enough to work alone for various guitar types. And also if it is voiced in a narrow way for the RT sound of whether it has a wider voice that can take it into different territory. I suspect that over time i may end up buying one or two other overdrives, but that may not be for a while yet.

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

A neat vid I come across last night..
          A friend has a Silver Jubilee setting in his basement and we have not fired it up in 5-6 years..
          I am trying to buy it from him to do a referb on it..
          The caps are dry and it pops and hisses alot..
          But I am pretty sure I can straten it out for a few bucks.. I know and remember what he paid for it..
          But check this guy out.
          Hes useing the Jubilee and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for his dry sound..
          Split at the effects loop in the Jubilee to the dry HR Blues Deluxe.
          I would bet Trower is useing the Plexi for the same..
          My version of the Joe bonamassa just got paid solo done to a backing track I made up to jam to.excuse the clams . the end bit is from led zeppilin dazed and ...

Comment

FWIW, I noticed Fulltone has one or two of these for sale on their "blem" page.
            "music heals"
            facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Curly View Post
              FWIW, I noticed Fulltone has one or two of these for sale on their "blem" page.
              Wow, they have one listed there and that works out to be a really good price compared to what they cost down here. Trouble is ... it says the sale items are for the USA only.

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

I've seen Trower at Jannis Landing here in St.Pete Florida,and I can see why it's his favorite place to play! I've been a fan of his since about 1973 or so when he went solo.
                Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 12-31-2009, 11:58 AM.
                Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Guitar Legend Robin Trower talks about his Fender Custom Shop Strat, Marshall amps and Fulltone pedals.

Comment

Working...
                  X