Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: marshall mg 4x12 speaker upgrade

Originally posted by ravendouglas View Post
    yea i havnt played around with my settings very much,ya know once ya get a sound ya like it can be scary to start blazing new trails with settings.i have to not only dial my amp in ,but my pedal board equalization as well.i have over 100 presets to play with and they all have their own eq paramiters.i even write settings down in my book
    I would plug straight to the amp and make sure the "fdd" switch is turned off. This is an effect to emmulate a tube breakup at higher volume. If that is not it I would bump the gain up to about 11 o'clock. Then bump the bass up a notch or two. Once you get the amp figured out add your pedals back in and adjust.

Originally posted by ravendouglas View Post
    unfourtanatley,i am one of those guys who just cant afford a 1500 dollar amp so i play solid state stuff.although i looked at carvin x100 b real hard.
    I was actually looking and could afford to buy a 1987 Gibson lpc black beauty and a Marshall JVM full stack. At the little music store, where I was playing with the LP and full stack smiling ear to ear, my buddy plugged a Godin LG into this "crappy" old (2004) used Marshall MG100 and a new Crate Flexwave 4x12 cab. While the lpc and tube setup was amazing I decided to buy the Godin and the "crappy" amp. When hearing both side by side it was not worth +/- $5,000 more for the "better" setup (guitar, amp and cabs). Forgive me rock gods.

I will admit that I would pick up a Crate Vintage Club 30 or 50 for the right price, but I won't sell the MG.

Play on.

Comment

i play with a pedal board so rolling in tons of gain wont help me.i dont use the amps natural distortion,i dont like it.,but the ffd switch is interesting..mine is in the on position.nice to run into some one who knows the amp i am talking about.
      Last edited by ravendouglas; 04-16-2010, 03:02 AM.
      play louder than the other guy.....

Comment

IMHO I would agree to go with the avatar cab. You can get them unloaded, made to order and shipped in no time and reasonably priced for a quality product. Throw your cheap celestions in the avatar and play it that way until you can afford a couple of better speakers even if you only swap 2 for starters. Once you've upgraded all four, start saving for a new head. It will cost more in the long run, but if you can't wait to upgrade the entire rig...

Comment

You place waaaaaaaaaaaay to much stock in what others say and think. Go to the store and try a bugera, jet city, blackheart, egnator, B52 or any other budget tube amp and decide for yourself what you like.

Too many of us are gear snobs and cork sniffers or biased or plain hypocritical when it comes to imported gear.

Comment

I got my jcm2000 dsl100 and 1960a w/ g12t75's for $600 on cl.

Patience, Brotha.

Comment

It sounds like you are more concerned with looks than good sound.

Nevertheless, putting new speakers in that cab is like putting a bandaid on a ship that's been hit by a torpedo. An expensive bandaid at that. But in any case, it is still destined to go down with the ship.

Your problem with your sound is not all due to your speakers, but also your amp. You can tweak all you want, and put in lots of cash, but you'll never get it to sound the way you'd like it to sound. Or should I say...you'll at least never be able to get it to sound very good.

A Carvin MV3 ($500-600), Bogner Alchemist ($600 on e-bay), or Bugera Infinium; plus...

Avatar oversized Vintage 2x12 cab with Eminence speakers (as good or better sounding than Celestion, but 40% less cost), will make your MG sound like a little kid's 9 volt battery operated toy by comparison.

It's time to upgrade and move to the next level. Think of it as an investment, not an expense. It can be done very effectively, even on a budget. Used gear is also a very viable/inexpensive option.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

New guys bumping zombie threads make me lol
                Custom neck-thru strat
                1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                1995 PRS CE24
                D'avanzo #8
                Breedlove Solo Concert
                1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

ravendouglas

you need to listen to and follow the advice you receive from everyone here

because everything you think you know about gear is wrong.

No offense meant. we all have to learn someday.

And in case it isn't clear, putting any money in to that cardboard speaker cab would be the hugest waste of time and money you are probably capable of right now without literally flushing it down the toilet.

It's important that you stop worrying about purple tolex and phrases like "full stack" and all the things you've read in Musician's Friend catalogs on the cheap pages. Those people speak only lies. I'm not kidding.

Good luck.
                  -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Raven......

Nobody asked this yet.... What kind of music do you play? Are you playing in a Band?

As far as money is concerned.... save. Put 10$ a week away. In a short time you will have the cash you need. It's not complicated. I know we all have bills to pay but just about everybody can put $10 a week away.
                    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Pretty sure this dude doesn't own the MG anymore.

MOTHER****ING ZOMBIE THREAD, FOLKS.
                      I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
                        Pretty sure this dude doesn't own the MG anymore.

MOTHER****ING ZOMBIE THREAD, FOLKS.
                        How did this thread even get brought up. It was started on 4-11-10!;!!
                        Ibanez S520-> NS2->TS9 (Monte Allums Modded)->JCA100H->Emi Texas Heat 4x12

Comment

Originally posted by Mattr4president View Post
                          How did this thread even get brought up. It was started on 4-11-10!;!!
                          Some guy with one post count bumped it today.
                          Custom neck-thru strat
                          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                          1995 PRS CE24
                          D'avanzo #8
                          Breedlove Solo Concert
                          1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                          1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12

Comment

Zombie Thread Confusion.

The MG has been gone for a while, and Raven now has two B52 4x12s, a Peavey Rockmaster tube head, and a Peavey XXX head. No purple tolex in sight...
                            - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                            Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                            The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

I hate that crap. Spending time on a reply to a completely irrelevant thread. dammit.
                              -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

I always get suspicious whenever I see a multi-page thread that wasn't here the day before.
                                Custom neck-thru strat
                                1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                                1995 PRS CE24
                                D'avanzo #8
                                Breedlove Solo Concert
                                1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

Working...
                                X