peavey valve king?any input welcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: peavey valve king?any input welcome

Depends on what you want to you it for tbh.

I agree with looking for something better used if possible, I got a VK100 new and managed to snag a Marshall 1960a 4x12 for £150 so that was a steal, but the amp itself is ok but it does just feel quite cheap and while if you play around with enough you can get some cool tones. i find the tone controls just dont seem to do an awful lot they just muddy everything up or just add harsh highs to the mix. (I still have stock tubes atm not got spare cash atm to replace so maybe once i do it might respond better I dont know lol)
    Clean channel is alright I dont have any complaints quite boomy but rolling back on guitar volume helps.
    Gain boost is incredibley harsh at high volumes, I use an OD to boost the gain (I play in a metal band)
    Mines being repaired atm (had it 3months and it just suddenly stopped turning on checked fuses on amp and lead, nothing) so my experience with reliability isnt a good one but some people have never had problems so maybe i got a bad one.
    Peavey (and GAK.co.uk's) customer service was very very good though.

I bought it cos I needed a tube head fast and needed a reasonable amount of gain (nothing death metal crazy just enough ;D) Overall it is an alright amp for what it is.
    Chapman Guitars, Seymour Duncan, Dunlop.

http://www.stormborn.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by ravendouglas View Post
      thanks for all the input people..yea,but nobody wants to give me what my marshalls worth,i have it on craigs list right now,for 475 bucks and people are calling me would you take 300?..i just hang up on the real idiots like the guy who called at 2am and.said man if ya still got that amp,i got 290 bucks,i yelled f.. off and hung up.lol...2 am..what the hell is wrong with people?so untill i sell the marshall i am stuck,every time i mention a new piece of gear i get the ....you want to sleep in the garage look?,followed by the raised eybrow thing from my lady.i just got a new guitar ,all that cost me was 600 bucks and a night of shoe shopping for the misses.,and she drug me to some play..oh shut the hell up.lmao
      Your own fault for putting your phone number in a craigslist ad.
      Band: www.colouredanimal.com
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
      Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
        Your own fault for putting your phone number in a craigslist ad.
        true enough
        play louder than the other guy.....

Comment

it can be tough selling gear, especially since mass-produced solid state amps don't really keep their value.
          it's like trying to sell a used Kia or a Hyundai. You have to sell it on the private market because no dealer's gonna give you what it's worth as they have to turn a profit. You want to get your investment back as much as possible but anyone looking to buy a Kia isn't exactly rich. People will try to low-ball you all over the place and you might have to take a hit in the wallet. Kias aren't the most popular car in the first place and with how comparatively cheap they are most people in the market for one could just finance a new one.
          You're basically selling a Kia because you want a Toyota.

Comment

thanks for all the input people..yea,but nobody wants to give me what my marshalls worth,i have it on craigs list right now,for 475 bucks and people are calling me would you take 300?..i just hang up on the real idiots like the guy who called at 2am and.said man if ya still got that amp,i got 290 bucks,i yelled f.. off and hung up.lol...2 am..what the hell is wrong with people?so untill i sell the marshall i am stuck,every time i mention a new piece of gear i get the ....you want to sleep in the garage look?,followed by the raised eybrow thing from my lady.i just got a new guitar ,all that cost me was 600 bucks and a night of shoe shopping for the misses.,and she drug me to some play..oh shut the hell up.lmao

No offense man, but no one in the right mind will offer you $475 when they can get the same, brand new one for $550. It sucks, trust me I know. I sold numerous mid to higher end equipment on CL, sometimes you have to take a hit if you want it sold. Sometimes you can make out, just depends on the market and what you're selling. It's an option YOU have to weigh, do I keep this or try to make something from it? $300 isn't that bad of an offer esp on CL where the whole point is to get things cheap. Think about it, if your on CL chances are you don't have the money to buy new so your looking for a less expensive second hand item,. If you get offered anywhere from $300-400 I would take that.
            Originally posted by grumptruck
            No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
            Originally posted by Gear Used
            PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
            Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
            Mesa Stiletto Ace
            Gurus 5015
            Mesa Widebody 1X12
            Pedalboard

Comment

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
              No offense man, but no one in the right mind will offer you $475 when they can get the same, brand new one for $550. It sucks, trust me I know. I sold numerous mid to higher end equipment on CL, sometimes you have to take a hit if you want it sold. Sometimes you can make out, just depends on the market and what you're selling. It's an option YOU have to weigh, do I keep this or try to make something from it? $300 isn't that bad of an offer esp on CL where the whole point is to get things cheap. Think about it, if your on CL chances are you don't have the money to buy new so your looking for a less expensive second hand item,. If you get offered anywhere from $300-400 I would take that.
              no they cant,it is the mg 3 series in special edition purple,now discontinued,,you can get an mg 4 series in red,white for that price of 550 .mine has never been gigged as i play at home.,or the occasional jam at some one elses house.,its so nice to have a real jam room.20 foot by 17 foot.its flawless as far as condition is concerned.i would probably take 450 but..i want to sell this amp,i dont NEED to sell this amp,g.c. wanted to offer me 60 percent of going ebay price or some bull crap.i paid those clowns 649 plus tax,it wasnt on sale then.they would sell that amp in the price range i am asking.i wont give it away.ill keep it first and put the head on another cab or something.
              Last edited by ravendouglas; 04-16-2010, 03:21 AM.
              play louder than the other guy.....

Comment

no they cant,it is the mg 3 series in special edition purple,now discontinued,,you can get an mg 4 series in red,white for that price of 550 .mine has never been gigged as i play at home.,or the occasional jam at some one elses house.,its so nice to have a real jam room.20 foot by 17 foot.its flawless as far as condition is concerned.i would probably take 450 but..i want to sell this amp,i dont NEED to sell this amp,g.c. wanted to offer me 60 percent of going ebay price or some bull crap.i paid those clowns 649 plus tax,it wasnt on sale then.they would sell that amp in the price range i am asking.i wont give it away.ill keep it first and put the head on another cab or something.
                I hear ya and completely agree/understand when it comes to want and have. My point was that, most people on CL do not have the cash or knowledge on equipment, so they will always lowball and look for that "deal." I hope you get what you want.
                No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                Mesa Stiletto Ace
                Gurus 5015
                Mesa Widebody 1X12
                Pedalboard

Comment

The may not be able to get that exact one, however if they are looking for that series, it will not deter them from getting the newer series for a few bucks more. That's the thing, yours maybe mint and flawless, but the reality is it's still used.
                  Mesa Stiletto Ace
                  Gurus 5015
                  Mesa Widebody 1X12
                  Pedalboard

Comment

Hmmmm...

you paid $650 for it new...that means it's only worth around $350 now. If you get $400 for it, you'll be lucky, purple vinyl or no.
                    - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Originally posted by Fender_Punk View Post
                      Valve King never really did much for me. Personally I liked the JSX a bit more but the focus of the midrange on Peavey's clean channel doesn't suit my tastes, YMMV. If you want a Marshall sound you wont get it on a Peavey. Valve King is a more American sounding amp (due to its 6L6 power stage).

Considering this is around $1,000 and you seem to like Marshalls this is worth a look. Built in North America and is kind of a multi-channel Marshall Vintage Modern. I've played one of these through a 2x12 with a Tele and loved it! I like 6L6s a bit more myself though, hence why I own a YCV40.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/365090.html - this site sells head and 4x12 for $920
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=YFJRO-SBhUA - Head reviewed by Guitar World
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=zh46ofeQHGU - YCS50 combo mic'ed
                      Really? Traynor? You're joking right?

OP, The Valve King is great in its price range for new stuff, find them used and you'll have half your cash left over.
                      www.lockwireguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by pinto79 View Post
                        Really? Traynor? You're joking right?
                        NOPE! I've had two YCV40s since October 2006 and neither of them ever gave me any issues aside from a footswitch that Long & McQualuudes replaced for free (didn't even take back the broken one). Not to mention the YCV40 through 12" speakers sounds AWESOME (particularly Mojo Tone 12s).

Plus I'd rather buy something made in North America than made in China if I have the option. I've also had a couple buddies score old '70s tube Traynors (one bass master, one guitar mate III) that have yet to give them issues.

Maybe they don't turn your tone crank, but they are reliable, well-built amps. All you need to do to them is swap out the cheap red-label Celestions that come in the combos and you've got a great amp on your hands.
                        "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                        X