Weber 10F125 vs 10F150T for PR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weber 10F125 vs 10F150T for PR

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 10" Weber for my PRRI. Right now it has a nicely broken in Jensen C10Q (new version) which is close to my tonal goal for this amp, but would like it a little less harsh, a little less breakup and a little more volume.

People had great suggestions in my previous 10" thread, and Weber customer service recommended the 50 watt 10F150T with light dope. But it wouild be helpful to hear from people who have experience with both these speakers and could describe the differences.

Btw, I have a 50 watt 12F150W in my 64 Deluxe and it sounds perfect. It would be nice to get this PR into similar territory but a little smaller, if that makes sense.
    Last edited by tkingen; 04-23-2010, 03:03 PM.

Re: Weber 10F125 vs 10F150T for PR

I am guessing you are a jazz player, so you take the perfect clean tone pretty seriously. I believe the 10f150 and 12f150 are pretty similar to the c10 and c12 jensens in construction and components. I have a princeton reverb II with a jensen in (c12n) and i often play in a duo with another jazzer who uses a silverface princeton with an altec. I have also recorded with another (modified) princeton with a 12. I think you will not get a big difference for your $$$ spent just by swapping brands to weber in this case.
    I know what you mean about the 10 being hard in the princeton. And i know what you mean about the deluxe being perfect.
    Perhaps you should consider a P10 or similar (the weber equivalent) due to the alnico magnet. That will definitely smooth things out and give you a more vintage old school sound, although you will find that most alnico speakers are less efficient than ceramics so you will lose a bit of punch with the harshness. I guess tho, if you need more volume then you have the deluxe...then you get a variety of great sounds.
    Now i dont know if you can get them in the states, but Lorantz Audio Services build speakers to order and they are very reasonably priced. You have to call them up to tell them waht you want, but their standard 10 inch 75watt guitar speaker is just magnificent. Clean, warm, fat and transparent. the best 10 i have tried for a guitar amp.

ps. I havent tried them, but the new jensen blackbird speakers are modern highly efficient, high wattage alnico speakers - they might be the best of both worlds...
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

oops - just re read your post want more volume and less breakup along with the smoothness...
      Definitely not a p10 (a little less volume and bottom end). Definitely a Lorantz or possibly the blackbird will do all 3 for you.
      Having said that - it seems that you want your princeton to sound more like your deluxe....it may be better two have two distinct amps for recording purposes. so for that....a p10 (or weber equivalent) may be spot on!
      Last edited by Chickenwings; 04-23-2010, 06:14 PM.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

there is a review for the eminence lil buddy down below too....
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

i havent heard that weber 12" you have but i own a 10a150t and it is my favorite 10" speaker. a very wide tone. deep ample bottom, clear open top end, full mids and LOUD. im sure the ceramic version also kicks ass too.

i have had more than a few jensen speakers, still own a p10q which i think is the best of the modern ones, and none of them come close to how great this weber sounds.

Comment

The 10F150T and the 10F125 use the same basket and cone...the differences are the voice coil and the magnet.

I prefer the 10F125 myself over the 10F150T.

The 10F125 will be closer to the C10Q you have now but it will be cleaner, louder, tighter far more punchy and smoother/sweeter when cranked.

The 10F150T will be even louder and cleaner than that more punchy as well but IMHO they 10F150T is a little stiff in smaller amps and doesn't breath as well...

I gave a 10F125 to a buddy of mine a few years ago for his SF PR and it ounds killer in that amp!
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
              The 10F150T and the 10F125 use the same basket and cone...the differences are the voice coil and the magnet.

I prefer the 10F125 myself over the 10F150T.

The 10F125 will be closer to the C10Q you have now but it will be cleaner, louder, tighter far more punchy and smoother/sweeter when cranked.

The 10F150T will be even louder and cleaner than that more punchy as well but IMHO they 10F150T is a little stiff in smaller amps and doesn't breath as well...

I gave a 10F125 to a buddy of mine a few years ago for his SF PR and it ounds killer in that amp!
              Thank you guys for your great suggestions. It's looking like the 10F125 may be the ticket. Next question is 20 or 30 watt? I read a post somewhere (can't remember where) that said the 20 watter was actually louder than the 30 watter. Is this true? Also, I'd prefer no doping but will probably go with light for insurance against cone cry or ghost notes.
              Man, if this thing can give me a little 'more' of the goods over the Jensen RI C10Q I'll be a happy camper.

Comment

Working...
              X