Deja Vu Tap Delay as looper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deja Vu Tap Delay as looper?

Has anyone used the Deja Vu as a looper? I like the way the pedal sounds from all the clips that I can find online, but would really like something that I can do some simple looping with for practice as well . . .
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Re: Deja Vu Tap Delay as looper?

ive used it live to play harmonys with myself and it worked fine and sounded great

Comment

I found it more difficult to time just right to get the loop to sound natural. I have better luck (nail it 99% of the time) with the looper in the Digitech RP355. I am sure with practice, I could nail it on the Deja Vu, just quit after too many unsuccessful attempts. Also you cannot overdub with it. So as a looper it does have limitations and I think it was just an after-thought anyway in its marketing. It was there and they could advertise it as a looper and did.

Comment

if i was just looking for a looper i would look else where but its a nice little extra on a great delay pedal

Comment

I agree, there is no better delay pedal than the Deja Vu. There are a lot of pedals that can do what the Deja Vu does, but only one aspect of it. It equals the carbon copy in analog delay, it realy does, I have compared them. As for digital, its still no contest against the Digitechs, and others. What I mean is... it is superior in about every aspect of delay operations that you can think of. Am I drunk, yes, at the moment I am, hey, don't drunks really tell it like it is?????? It really ups the playing field in terms of simplicity and tone. As a looper, it is there, but only, not what I would advertise.
          Last edited by briggleman; 04-26-2010, 04:35 PM.

Comment

The big question is......does it brew coffee???

Comment

It will loop but it is VERY hard to get it to work right...i'd never depend on it in a live setting...
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

i didnt have an issue with it for whatever reason but i havent used that function all that much. is the issue the timing of the start and stop taps on the footswitch making it hard to get it in sync?

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
                  The big question is......does it brew coffee???
                  No. The real question is....TRU BY-PASS?
                  Originally posted by MikeS
                  a "career" of playing sold-out bedroom shows to the posters on my wall.
                  Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                  whats becoming of this generation
                  We want to listen to music while we mow the lawn.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    i didnt have an issue with it for whatever reason but i havent used that function all that much. is the issue the timing of the start and stop taps on the footswitch making it hard to get it in sync?
                    For me, that's exactly it. Being a latch type switch seems to be the issue with me, I do not know why, but it is. My loops always seem to start in the middle of the note. I have nailed it once or twice but I have yet to be consistent. Now with the RP355 looper, it can be activated two ways..... one, just arm it, and when you start playing it starts recording, second, press the foot switch to start and stop it ( the way I do it) I always seem to get it right the first time.

Comment

^^That would be bad for the coffee!

Comment

Originally posted by briggleman View Post
                        For me, that's exactly it. Being a latch type switch seems to be the issue with me, I do not know why, but it is. My loops always seem to start in the middle of the note. I have nailed it once or twice but I have yet to be consistent. Now with the RP355 looper, it can be activated two ways..... one, just arm it, and when you start playing it starts recording, second, press the foot switch to start and stop it ( the way I do it) I always seem to get it right the first time.
                        gotcha. when i bring out my pedal board i almost always am wearing a pair of boots so there isnt any foot feel, its just a stomp. the difference between a latching and unlatching switch isnt really very noticable. ill have to play around with it more in normal shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by briggleman View Post
                          For me, that's exactly it. Being a latch type switch seems to be the issue with me, I do not know why, but it is. My loops always seem to start in the middle of the note. I have nailed it once or twice but I have yet to be consistent.
                          Its not a latching footswitch... it looks like one but it isn't, sort of like a new dunlop pedal.

There's a slight delay when it kicks into looping mode... couple milliseconds of hesitation that makes it start recording "late" unless you anticipate the record punch. I agree, as a looper pedal it stinks... though a lot of looper pedals like the Boomarang & EH memory man Hazari quantize the loops and crossfade the start/stop so it comes out seamless. The hazari box is a killer looper pedal...
                          J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                          mixer|producer|recordist
                          mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                          All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Working...
                          X