Any AC15 lovers out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any AC15 lovers out there?

So, I was at my local GC for a little while this afternoon and sat down and noodled around on an AC15C1 for a while...never played any of the AC's before. I really liked it! It had a great clean sound, and the drive I got out of it was pretty sweet but I'm sure that it could go more...I didn't really crank it.

What are your opinions on the AC15? And how does it compare to an AC30?

Re: Any AC15 lovers out there?

I have one of the hand wired ones and I love it. AC30s are warmer and bigger sounding, but they're also significantly louder and heavier. I have a Bogner I use as well and don't regret the Vox purchase one bit. I've really liked the Beatles, U2, Tom Petty, R.E.M. kinda tones that Vox are known for and feel that the newer HW AC-15 represents it well (regardless of what you read on the net about fancy boutique alternatives being the only way to go).
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Tried the AC15 and really liked the tone out of both channels. Three things came to mind when I tried one.

The amp does not have any channel switching. So, I would have to find me another peice of hardware, like a A-B switching unit.

Does not have an effect loop.

Lastly, being low priced [500 dollar range]. what kind of dependability will this amp have. Its a new model and the jury is still out but I had to ask the salesman. He went over to the computer and said that they have sold 15 so far, and had one returned. The return was for a faulty volume pot.
      That is not dead which can eternal lie,
      And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

Liked the night train better than the ac15CC1. With a TS or TS-style overdrive, it gets just as thick as an ac15 or more... Normally the NT is a little cleaner and sweeter. No 'verb or trem, but a more interesting sound while still being completely vox. With a pedal it may as well be channel switching.
        I'd like to try an ac15 now that they come with greenbacks stock. Greenback + vox =nice!

Comment

I love the AC15...better than the AC30. Used with a small speaker that breaks up early it is heaven.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Condemned soul View Post
            Does not have an effect loop.
            Do any of the Vox's have effects loops? I do like being able to put my delay/reverb in the loop. I was pretty impressed with the AC15 I played, which was one of the cheaper ones and not one of the handwired...I may have to look into them a little bit more for my next amp purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by greatbob6 View Post
              Do any of the Vox's have effects loops? I do like being able to put my delay/reverb in the loop. I was pretty impressed with the AC15 I played, which was one of the cheaper ones and not one of the handwired...I may have to look into them a little bit more for my next amp purchase.
              AC30CC has one.

I tried an AC15 two years ago, didn't really like it. But then again, I tried it only in a store and couldn't really crank it. I would have gone the AC30CC1, or even 2 route but those are really damn heavy.
              But everytime I think of one I still want it.
              "The amp has been making a lot of noise and acting funky, perhaps it may be aware of the amount of rock it's about to be punished with" ~GearMannDude
              "30 days of dating doesn't seem like cheating. It seems like legitimate playing the field, and you happened to catch a pop fly..." ~Aceman
              "If all else fails, wank, fall asleep, come back to it the next day." ~GuitarStv
              "The crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow." ~Glassman

Comment

A real AC15 would have an EF86 in it, a preamp tube which i love. I used a V15 back in the 80's, and for an amp with a master volume, it was great.
                Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
                  A real AC15 would have an EF86 in it, a preamp tube which i love. I used a V15 back in the 80's, and for an amp with a master volume, it was great.
                  that sounds awesome

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                    that sounds awesome
                    Yeah. The original AC15 had the EF86 channel with a rotary tone switch. When Dick Denney doubled the power tube complement to create the AC30, the extra vibration caused the EF86s to get microphonic, so they dropped it. I dunno whether any of the re-issues over the years have ever gone back to using the EF86....Matchless DC30 has one channel with that tube and the rotary tone switch, straight out of the original AC15.

The Vox V15 was a 2 x 10" combo that was a kinda 80's update, and it was a great little amp, well worth getting hold of if you ever get the opportunity. I'm not sure when they stopped producing that model.
                    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Yeah. The original AC15 had the EF86 channel with a rotary tone switch. When Dick Denney doubled the power tube complement to create the AC30, the extra vibration caused the EF86s to get microphonic, so they dropped it. I dunno whether any of the re-issues over the years have ever gone back to using the EF86....Matchless DC30 has one channel with that tube and the rotary tone switch, straight out of the original AC15.

The Vox V15 was a 2 x 10" combo that was a kinda 80's update, and it was a great little amp, well worth getting hold of if you ever get the opportunity. I'm not sure when they stopped producing that model.
                      I don't know about the other AC-15s Vox has put out, but the AC15H1TV (hand wired) one does have the EF-86 channel (but it doesn't come with any master volume or a rotary switch for it). The EF-86 channel is pretty good (a bit warmer than the other circuit), but doesn't have quite as much headroom; I find myself using the other side realisitically more.
                      Originally posted by kevlar3000
                      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                      Originally posted by Zerberus
                      Better is often the enemy of good
                      Originally posted by ginormous
                      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

the ac30 "handwired" model has it too.

Comment

Ok, resurrecting an older thread I started because I'm still digging the AC15C1 and I now have the funds and could possibly be pulling the trigger on one in the next couple of weeks (have to check it out with my own gear first of course). However, there is one more thing I'm wondering about...would it impact the amp at all to hook up an A/B/Y switch in order to switch between or blend the Normal and Top Boost channels?

Logically, it seems that an A/B switch wouldn't be an issue but what about using a Y to blend the channels? I just want to make sure it wouldn't possibly damage the amp somehow and that it would actually possibly provide some tonal benefit, and you guys are way smarter and more experienced than me.

Comment

Originally posted by greatbob6 View Post
                            So, I was at my local GC for a little while this afternoon and sat down and noodled around on an AC15C1 for a while...never played any of the AC's before. I really liked it! It had a great clean sound, and the drive I got out of it was pretty sweet but I'm sure that it could go more...I didn't really crank it.

What are your opinions on the AC15? And how does it compare to an AC30?
                            I prefer the AC15 over the AC30 (Chinese made models), because i like the break-up character of the little one more. (never tested a UK made AC30)
                            It breaks up earlier, but also when it does, it sounds sweeter to me.
                            Like an idiot i bought a Fender Blues Jr instead of the AC15.
                            Sold the BJr. since.
                            Hope this helps.
                            Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

I've only heard great things about the AC15CC series. I wanted my first Vox to have an EF86 preamp so I got the AC15 Heritage series version. But for the price of the CC series, a lot people don't care!

An effects loop isn't needed with a Vox. The preamps aren't generating enough gain to make effects sound crappy out front.

Comment

Working...
                              X