Best high gain amp at low volumes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best high gain amp at low volumes

If all you're interested in is a bedroom volume amp, try out a Line 6 Spider with two 10s. The modeling section will give you everything you need for a simulated high gain amp. Plus that, at bedroom volume, you won't be able to tell a difference.
    www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Amplitube 3's digital version of the dual rectifier. That's the best, hands down.

I am done with bedroom amps/pedals. Even my Bogner is sitting untouched in a safe place since I got a good audio interface and amplitube hooked up to my computer.
      Even on very low volumes you can still get that fat low end chunk or simply use headphones. The possibilities and convenience of this route are the better way to spend your money.

I'm not taking part in the small amp hype thats going on, while they sound good and are super cool little wanna-haves, they still can't produce a good fat high gain sound at low volumes. Biggest problem is that most of them use 10" speakers. Hooking up a 5w practise amp to a 2x12 or 4x12 speaker cabinet defeats the purpose, these speakers are made to sound good when they are pushing some air. That means they wont give up the goods unless you are cranking up your amp well above bedroom levels.
      Digital is the way to go for 'bedroom' purposes!
      Last edited by Nightburst; 10-16-2011, 06:21 PM.

Comment

As others have said, Blackstar HT5. It is the best low wattage amp out there, and a great amp to expand on with the effects loop. I'm running a MXR Carbon Copy, EHX Holy Grail Reverb, BBE Sonic Maximizer and MXR 10 band EQ through the loop of mine, and getting massively huge tones out of it at home volumes. I'm also running it through a 2x12 with Celestion Vin 30 and GT75 speakers. Sometimes put a tubescreamer to boost the front end a bit

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Comment

this thread is over a year old. I doubt the OP is still interested.

Comment

when I was a bedroom wanker, I really enjoyed the Engl E530 preamp. It has a brutal gain that sounds great at low volumes. You can run it directly to your computer or with headphones.

Comment

I've been getting good tones out of my 6505 combo at fairly low volumes, I typically use my MXR classic od on the lead channels with a very low amount of gain......

My friend has been using his JC 20 through his avatar 2x12 juiced with either a Tube Screamer or a HM2 and he is getting usable high gain tones out of the amp with minimal volume and gain.......

Comment

Working...
              X