Which speaker for my HRDx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which speaker for my HRDx?

I've been reading different threads and articles online about which speakers work well in the Fender hot rod deluxe. I wanted to put in a celestion Vintage 30 but everyone says they are very middy and the hot rod is middy with the stock Eminence legend 125. I've read here that another Eminence speaker would do it, something like the Cannabis Rex. I've also read online stuff about the Red Fang and the Swamp thing.

I know nothing about Eminence speakers.

The hot rod deluxe is an open back combo amplifier, a tad smaller than a vox ac30.

Re: Which speaker for my HRDx?

I've kind of narrowed it down in terms of eminence:

I like how the Cannabis rex has a lot of high end definition, but also like how the Swamp thing is designed to handle lots of bass. Here's what I'm thinking though: the hot rod isnt a Mesa Rec. It won't put out chest thumping bass.

I heard the Red Fang audio clips from the eminence website, but thought the speaker was very similar to the Cannabis Rex. Description says something about vintage british tone... but that's not going to happen. It's an american made combo amp with 6L6s...

Comment

Dumbass question: I can't find the OHM rating for the stock speaker on the speaker itself. However, the cabinet has a sticker on the inside that says that each speaker output is rated at 8 Ohms.

This means I need one 8 Ohm speaker to replace the one in my cabinet right?

it then says

-------
      Parallel Speaker jacks

40watts 4 ohms total

----

what does that mean? that when I use both inputs at once the amp is putting out 4 ohms to each output?

Comment

No i wouldn't recommend a v30 unless you think the amp has too much bass and not enough mids, which thankfully you don't.

If I were choosing between the crex and the swamp for that amp i'd probably opt for the c-rex. The swamp is an awesome speaker, tons of lows, but IMO it really needs another speaker to compliment it and fill out some of the highs. I've never tried it in a 1x12 open but in a closed 2x12 I had a hard time getting decent high end definition. The c-rex is fine by itself though, it's still I guess a darker sounding speaker, but it still has awesome high end; the darkness is really just in that it has good bass and kinda smoky mids, great speaker.

Also I wouldn't worry so much about brit vs american for an american amp. A lot of the best tones I've gotten have been out of american amps with brit speakers.

The other ones I could recommend checkin out are weber californias and emi wizards. The cali's are jbl clones & wizards are like 75 watt g12h30's

you need an 8 ohm speaker; the hot rod is designed so that you can run another 8 ohm cab in addition to the stock 8 ohm speaker and still be fine, the transformer has a 4 ohm tap that's activated when something's plugged into the external speaker jack
        Originally posted by gibson175
        metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

The best speaker for the price for that amp it indeed is the Cannabis Rex.

The best speaker for that amp is the Celestion G12-65.

HTH,

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
            The best speaker for the price for that amp it indeed is the Cannabis Rex.

The best speaker for that amp is the Celestion G12-65.

HTH,

this baby right here?

it's $200USD. almost enough for 3 eminence C-Rexs!

Comment

What kind of sound do you want? I had a Hot Rod Deluxe for a while and got some really good Fender tones with a JBL d120f and a Weber F-150 which is like a Jensen C12N. But for rock with more midrange I actually liked the G12T75, the stock Marshall speaker. I don't really like that speaker in a Marshall but I liked it with the open back HRD. You lose some of that Fender chime but the mids are more Marshally (though that amp will never sound like a Marshall). Those speakers are usually inexpensive on Ebay.
              I've heard good things about the speakers mentioned above too, but have not tried them in my rigs.
              My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
                What kind of sound do you want? I had a Hot Rod Deluxe for a while and got some really good Fender tones with a JBL d120f and a Weber F-150 which is like a Jensen C12N. But for rock with more midrange I actually liked the G12T75, the stock Marshall speaker. I don't really like that speaker in a Marshall but I liked it with the open back HRD. You lose some of that Fender chime but the mids are more Marshally (though that amp will never sound like a Marshall). Those speakers are usually inexpensive on Ebay.
                I've heard good things about the speakers mentioned above too, but have not tried them in my rigs.
                I just wish I had more bass, the mids scooped a tad, and an articulate high end. kind of souns like the C rex..

Comment

Eminence Texas heat, Eminece Red White and Blues, Jensen P12Q, Eminence legend 35 watt Alnico ( cant remeber the number..Cheaper Jensen Copy).
                  If you want to get jiggy wit it, the Red fang is cool, but don't kid yourself, even thjough its it an extremely bright speaker. I do have a pair of hempcone Alnicos from Eminence that are American voiced speakers called the Canis Majors, but havent used them. I am not a big fan of Emi Cannibis Rex's or lil buddy Alnicos though- they are just too dark and creamy for a Deluxe or AC30, and never get that sparkly and edgy grumble to them, ala an old JBL K120 or Vintage Jensen.
                  I don't like G12'65's in a deluxe either. Thats a speaker for El34' Marshall Growl-works best in a marshall 4x12, but also wroks best in a 2x12 JCM open backed combo, but you lose the finer points of the Deluxe with it, IMO.
                  I have heard people digging the Emi Black Powder speaker- its a cheaper version of the expensive Alnico Black Mtn- another American patriot tone speaker.
                  I would slam a Emi Texas Heat in it if I were you, and never look back.
                  "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Have a look at WGS they may have a G12-65 clone otherwise there are also Webers and the Eminences mentioned
                    Gondola Kid
                    Bandcamp
                    Facebook
                    JimijaymesGuitarist
                    Youtube

Comment

can I put a 30 watt speaker in there no problem?

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
                        can I put a 30 watt speaker in there no problem?
                        Sort of. Cause its mainly clean till it starts busting up. The Deluxe does put out about 22-26 watts , but its clean power, and only starts to bust up later . Its the distorted power that will ruin a speaker in the long run. usually you want about twice the power your amp puts out for your sepaker-just to be safe.
                        Clean power is less liekly to blow your driver. Once you start adding distrotion of natural overdrive or effect pedal generated, it can get too much. For all intents and purposes, for a deluxe your 30 watt speaker should be okay.
                        "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by stef View Post
                            awesome

Comment

I took a celestion I had removed from a marshall cabinet way back, and put it in the deluxe. I put it together, plugged in, let it warm up and... HOLY ****! i had no idea a speaker could change the sound so much!!! the EQ is so effective now! that dreaded mid invaded tone is gone!!

The speaker I put in now is not as good in quality as the eminence that comes stock. nevertheless, it is much more responsive to the amp's EQ and will stay in for now. this is not the end however, I kind of have my mind set on the C-Rex, just because I asked a few people locally which speaker they thought would work, and they said:

"i think eminence might make what you need".

I knew which one, but asked.

"something like that Cannabis one."

I'm pretty much sold you guys.

edit: after a complication (personal, not technical) i was forced to put the stock speaker back in.

Swapping it out for another made me realize just how important the speaker is. for a minute there, i had gotten rid of the horrible mid honk.
                              Last edited by astrozombie; 07-31-2010, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X