banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burstbuckers, SD 59's, Treble Booster, and The Bugera V5: A ragtag gear saga.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burstbuckers, SD 59's, Treble Booster, and The Bugera V5: A ragtag gear saga.........

Hello to everyone,

This is my first post here a the SD forum and I thought that maybe i would relate some gear soul searching info to anyone interested.

My quest for the most affordable PAF tone brought me to a set of SD 59's about 2 years ago. A gold covered BB1 quickly joined the fold and the mods and swaps insued. I went from both 59's, to a 59 in the bridge w/ BB1 in the neck, to BB1 in the bridge and SD 59N in the neck slot, now to my final configuration: BB1 with cover off and nickel slugs in the neck and 59 bridge. I swapped out the A5 in the 59 w/ the A2 from in BB1 and put the A5 in the BB1. They both sound great in my Epi LP standard. I tried so many different PIO caps before finally settling on Sprague vitamin Q's. (.010 in the neck, .033 in the bridge, Linear taper volumes @500K, Audio taper tones @500K, braid wire, switchcraft 3-way, and enclosed switchcraft jack.) No covers on either of them.

Recently, after much research I purchased a Bugera V5 for the new apartment i was moving into, because it had the 3 way attenuator, and was extremely dissapointed. I quickly swapped out both the stock speaker( with a Weber Sig 8 alnico) and the tubes (JAN/Phillips 5751 pre, and Mulard re-issue EL-84 power.) and was still extremely upset with the lack of useable tone. Brightness was a serious issue even on the 5 watt setting. What was I to do..........

Enter 3 weeks worth of tireless Dallas Rangemaster clone building. Silicon, Germanium, 3-way voicing switches, you name it I tried it. Finally settled on
    .010 output cap, .0068 input cap, and 2n3096 silcon for the transistor (had to use a 100K boost pot for some reason to get any serious drive out of it.) Brightened it right up and drives the hell out of this little amp. Put the stock speaker back in and wallah!!!!!!!!! A totally useful, motley crue of a guitar setup that nails any tone at any volume with ease.

Just goes to show you dont need thousands of dollars of gear to get where you need to be. If you can use a soldering iron and have a thirst for classic guitar tones, you can make it happen!!!!!!!!!

Any who needs info on the Bugera, my pickup mods, or the Rangemaster let me know!!!!!!1

Derek

Re: Burstbuckers, SD 59's, Treble Booster, and The Bugera V5: A ragtag gear saga.....

Derek,

Would love details on the mods you made with the Bugera V5 - just saw your post from last year on that subject. I picked one up a month ago, and swapped out the tubes which offered some improvement, but the amp is still pretty dark at low volumes.

Please pass along - I have a soldering iron and love classic tone, but I've never attempted any mods on an amp so I'm hoping it's pretty straightforward. Thanks!

Comment

Re: Burstbuckers, SD 59's, Treble Booster, and The Bugera V5: A ragtag gear saga.....

Rangemaster clones are BOMB. A forum bro let my borrow one for a while. Any decent kind of darker amp with a rangemaster is just blues and blues rock for days.

I used to have a Epi Std with uncovered 59s as my main guitar and I had a lot of fun with it. I put A4 in the neck, for me that was teh sechs.

Comment

Hi Derek,

Are you still out there if yes really interested in your v5 mods. it looks as if you changed three caps if yes where are they located?

Thanks Dave

Comment

wanito and KeefItUp, just so you guys know...dscott85 has only made 2 posts here and they were ovr a year ago...I doubt that you'll get replies to his thread.
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I use the V5 and I totally see what you mean. I'll probably keep the stock speaker, but soon I'll totally upgrade the tubes. It's quite a dark amp. I opens up a bit when you turn it up and it's on 5 watts. I usually keep the tone knob cranked and boost the tone knobs on my OD and Fuzz.

I really like the amp. There's nothing else like it for the price. The built in attenuator and the reverb are really awesome features for a small tube amp. I don't have a band right now and I live in an apartment in Brooklyn so untill I need a Blues Jr, this will be a fine amp.
            Gear:
            Fender '03 CIJ Antigua Strat
            Epi Dot Natural
            Partscaster blackie
            Breedlove Passport Mahogany
            VOX V845 -> MXR Blue Box -> Boss CS-3 -> MXR Phase 90 -> Paul C. Tim OD -> Fulltone Plimsoul -> Boss CE-3 -> EHX Memory Toy -> SD Deja Vu Delay >
            Marshall Artist 30 4202 or Bugera V5

I WORK FOR GC, IF YOU NEED A DEAL PM ME!!!

Comment

Too bad about Derek not online anymore,

I have searched everywhere on moding the v5 and he is the first one who seemed to go beyond the bright cap mod, changing tubes changing speakers.

Great little amp that suffers from wet blanket syndrom, plays real nice with a tele but thats it forget anything with a humbucker.

Anybody else have any recomendations I will try to figure out what Derek did in the mean while

Comment

Try an MXR 10 band EQ.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Thanks, I have a guitar exciter by aphex I use and it brightens the v5 right up.

Just more cables, batteries and junk to carry, this amp is so close to grab and go and I want to travel light!

If only its tone was brighter!!!

Comment

I have one that TWANG modded for me, I am playing thru it now. It went from meh barely usable to a quality amp with nice tone. I honestly don't know what all he changed, but it is not he same amp. He posts here occasionally and he has his own sub forum at AGF, maybe ask him what he did.
                    Last edited by rjudo; 09-17-2011, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Hi guys,

I had an amp builder in my area read dereks post, he informed me the mods he was making reguarding the caps and trasisters were on the rangemaster and not the V5.

Bummer! Rjudo, is your amp brighter, real interested in what Twang has done to it.

Thanks

Comment

Hard for me to describe the tone, the amp is 'alive' now. It lost the wool blanket on top effect. I know he changed the output transformer, along with a bunch of the caps, resistors etc. Stock the amp didn't do much for me, in fact I was ready to just dump it and call it a day. Now I use it alot and enjoy the hell out of it. One thing though, I use it as a head only. I know some folks were swapping speakers and all, I just pulled it out and plug it into a 1x12. I went over to agf to see twangs forum as he had a thread on my amp, and the forum seems to have gone. Thats a bummer as all the info you needed was there.

Comment

Thanks rjudo for looking in the other forum, I did not know what the agf forum was. Bummer, please let me know if you ever get back intouch with him.

Did your upgrades cost alot? I am in NY where are you guys located. Did you ship him your amp?

Thanks

Comment

Wanito, check your p.m.

Comment

Originally posted by rjudo View Post
                              Wanito, check your p.m.
                              Thanks Man!

Comment

Working...
                              X