The Marshall Sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Marshall Sound?

I ask because every model I try out on my POD X3 Live makes Marshalls sound like medium-high gain amplifiers with almost no lows, icky highs and nasal mids. How close is this really? Maybe it's just a ****ty emulation, or I'm using the wrong speakers? there's models for the JCM 800 and 900, Plexi, and something called a "Silver" which is supposed to be a jubilee or something.

Re: The Marshall Sound?

The Classic Marshall tone is mid heavy bright edgie and less gain than say a Boogie Rec.
    It's about clarity and how it sits in the mix with a full band. My 2501 JCM 900 Dual Master doesn't have a clean channel it doesn't have reverb but it does have that classic Marshall tone in spades.
    That classic bright airy cutting Marshall tone is at the heart of more classic recording that I could even begin to count.
    Last edited by Ascension; 08-14-2010, 09:32 AM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Some things you just have to experience to understand.

Fortunately, Marshalls are available pretty much anywhere.
      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I've never found a modeling amp that sounds like a real Marshall. But which real Marshall? There are several Marshall sounds and responses. A Marshall generally passes on the voicing of the guitar being used and the tone thats in the players hands, rather than heavilly overiding the guitar's natural voice with its own.

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
          makes Marshalls sound like medium-high gain amplifiers with almost no lows, icky highs and nasal mids
          That's exactly how I imagine Marshall sound.

This is Vox Valvetronix UK80, which is supposed to be emulation of JCM800 2203.
          What do you think?

Comment

What are you playing your X3 through? Could be the amp or headphones that you're using. Marshalls do not have the low end of a boogie, but they sit perfectly in the mix once everything is said and done.

Comment

Its the POD- they are in no way, shape or form a decent simulation of a real plexi or metalface amp. They suck. period. Roland/Boss' are horrid too and Vox's is not all that great either. The EQ is all messed up.
              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Most of the 'classic' marshalls are indeed medium/high gain amps with a lot of mids, top & not a lot of low-end. On the flip side, the L6 stuff really is icky & nasal... not at all like the real deal.
                J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                mixer|producer|recordist
                mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Super Bass? Superlead? Jtm 45? Bluesbreaker? Cream, Halen, AC/DC, Jeff Beck, Jimi Zepp, Allman Bros, and endlessly on an on, all had that horrible icky thing that defined the voice of rock... Perhaps plugging into the real deal might offer some better clarity on the situation.

To say a POD is the voice of a Marshall is kind of like saying Forza Motorsport 2 for the Xbox 360 is like driving a Ferrari. It just ain't. See if you can find a way to plug one in, the sound can be kinda nice!
                  ]
                  FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
                  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Modeling amps don't get it.

Play an actual Marshall tube amp. Different sounds from different models.

Comment

^ yup. Played a bunch of modelers, software, and that stuff, some of them DO do a good job of sounding like "insert famous recording here"... but then I bought this Marshall DSL50 sight-unseen without having ever played a "real" marshall before (besides the Haze40). The DSL blew me away when I got it. It's like I'd been eating Kraft mac n cheese all my life and I suddenly tried fresh pasta with aged cheddar and jack cheeses in heavy cream with parmesan-crusted chicken on it.
                      The DSL is in a different league. If you completely leave out sound "quality", none of those modelers or software feel anything like as touch-sensitive as this amp. None of them can be boosted into a whole new level of awesomeness using a $40 overdrive pedal. It feels very convenient to just have a row of knobs in my face that I can reach over and tweak.
                      If all you care about is Sound ONLY, you don't care about the feel and experience of playing the amp as if it were an instrument itself, the best modeling stuff may be great for you. But if you want the real deal it's obvious that a line 6 modeling amp or some $100 windows software isn't gonna satisfy you.

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing Kookaburra View Post
                        Modeling amps don't get it.

Play an actual Marshall tube amp. Different sounds from different models.
                        +1
                        Although their are many different Marshalls, they all do seem to have certain characteristics that are strangely familiar to the line.
                        IMO a Marshall sounds best through some sort of Celestion(s) to get the real Marshall vibe.
                        " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

^yeah cuz marshalls+jensens= probably too bright?

Comment

here's what i think

i think Line 6's modelling is decent but kind of off and wrong intentionally

that way you never think any of the "real" brands of amps are all that special
                            and keep buying digitized crap cuz you're hypnotized

by LIME SIX

i like their effects tho; that M13 is ****ing monsterous and awesomely epic.

as for Marshalls

and the kind of music you like

they're designed for eachother.

Les Paul + Marshall = rock. Period.
                            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
                              I ask because every model I try out on my POD X3 Live makes Marshalls sound like medium-high gain amplifiers with almost no lows, icky highs and nasal mids. How close is this really? Maybe it's just a ****ty emulation, or I'm using the wrong speakers? there's models for the JCM 800 and 900, Plexi, and something called a "Silver" which is supposed to be a jubilee or something.
                              I use the Brown sound or whatever they call it on the POD XT to write and rehearse with. With much tweaking its ok. Biggest trick is to turn down the gain. Over all though the POD emulations of Marshalls are not that great.

Comment

Working...
                              X