How Do You Feel About...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How Do You Feel About...

On the face of it, I'd say the whole idea is stupid as hell. But thats just me.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by jcthejester13 View Post
      I hate the sound of 10's though. It seems like the Fender 10's in those Devilles don't handle dirt as well as 12's do.
      Yeah, but maybe with the 12's helping them out it will be amazing.
      Band: www.colouredanimal.com
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
      Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
        Yeah, but maybe with the 12's helping them out it will be amazing.
        Yep, 12s will certainly handle the low end better than the 10s. 10s work well for a lot of folks, but I've never liked 'em much for overdriven tones.

Then again, the thought of a 4x10 combo mixed a 4x12 cabinet should be MASSIVE. You'd get the upper frequency response of 10s with the warmth and thump of 12s. If that doesn't destroy the drummer, I don't know what would.
        Last edited by That90'sGuy; 08-17-2010, 08:27 PM.
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I just looked at the manual for the Deville online. It shows it can switch between 4ohm and 8ohm. I think I am set.
          Yup! When I built my Princeton Reverb clone. My OT came w/t a 4 or 8 ohm taps. I studied the HRD schematic to see how Fender accomplished this feat? I discovered they use a double shunting jack for the ext. speaker output. ( a Switchcraft # 13) ?? (I Think) How it works is the 8 ohm tap is wired to the internal speaker/s the 4 is wired to the Ext. When you plug another jack into the Ext. jack it shunts the 8 ohm tap,And now the amp is running off the 4 ohm tap. Confused? Don't be, It's very simple. This is why they tell you to NEVER just use the Ext. output alone You'll be running @ 4 ohms !!
          So leave the internal jack alone, And w/t a proper speaker cable you'll be golden in the impedance matching world w/t a 8 ohm cab !! However, If you decide to run just the Mesa cab alone ? You MUST remove the internal speaker jack, And use only that output jack.
          Last edited by kmcguitars; 08-17-2010, 09:08 PM.
          http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Originally posted by kmcguitars View Post
            Yup! When I built my Princeton Reverb clone. My OT came w/t a 4 or 8 ohm taps. I studied the HRD schematic to see how Fender accomplished this feat? I discovered they use a double shunting jack for the ext. speaker output. ( a Switchcraft # 13) ?? (I Think) How it works is the 8 ohm tap is wired to the internal speaker/s the 4 is wired to the Ext. When you plug another jack into the Ext. jack it shunts the 8 ohm tap,And now the amp is running off the 4 ohm tap. Confused? Don't be, It's very simple. This is why they tell you to NEVER just use the Ext. output alone You'll be running @ 4 ohms !!
            So leave the internal jack alone, And w/t a proper speaker cable you'll be golden in the impedance matching world w/t a 8 ohm cab !! However, If you decide to run just the Mesa cab alone ? You MUST remove the internal speaker jack, And use only that output jack.
            I cannot even begin to describe how confused I am right now.
            Originally posted by Bass_Medic_05
            I dig the wood!

Comment

OPPs! Information overload I guess? If you wanna JUST run your 8 ohm Mesa Cab? Unplug the internal speaker jack, And use THAT output (not the ext. output) Still confused? PM me, I'll help you get it figured out. Believe me, Impedance matching can seem like Rocket Surgery. But once you can wrap your mind around it... It's simple grade school math.

Comment

And youve got me even more confused. Its great you want to try new things, but a Deville through a 4x12 Celstion cabinet ? I mean, not even considering the impedance mismatch ( 2 ohm cabinet) , I can't even believe, not wait, I FDO believe a lot of you guys would condone that, only cause its so rediculous in the first place and I know most of you guys here by now, and you really don't know too much about amps for the most part.. JMO you understand.
                Look,OP... you've got one hell of a nice sounding Fender amp- one of the greatest sounding clean amps on the market irrespective of price, even though its got questionable build quality..and its becasue thats it was designed to run through foor tens. Thats one pof the greatest amp speaker combinations of all time. Personally, if you don't like the Deville, I really think you have questionable tastes, cause its one of the best selling amps worldwide, and has amazing cleans and awesome blues break up...but whatever,..thats not my point.
                My point is, you have some guys running around here thinking they can put a pedal in front of a Fender amp and make it just as good as a Marshall or other great distortion amp.
                WRONG. Its okay of thats all you have,and I'm sure you might be able to coax some reasonably decent high gain sound from it, but it will never ever *ever be a Marshall , and just to be fair, nor will a Marshall ever be a Fender, and frankly I'm sick of people trying to claim otherwise cause its BS..just my opinion you understand...but otherwise, if you aint into cleans and you aint into blues, sell the Fender and get a Marshall or a different hgh gainstyle amp and stop trying to get blood from a turnip ( oh..'so to speak").
                "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                  And youve got me even more confused. Its great you want to try new things, but a Deville through a 4x12 Celstion cabinet ? I mean, not even considering the impedance mismatch ( 2 ohm cabinet) , I can't even believe, not wait, I FDO believe a lot of you guys would condone that, only cause its so rediculous in the first place and I know most of you guys here by now, and you really don't know too much about amps for the most part.. JMO you understand.
                  Look,OP... you've got one hell of a nice sounding Fender amp- one of the greatest sounding clean amps on the market irrespective of price, even though its got questionable build quality..and its becasue thats it was designed to run through foor tens. Thats one pof the greatest amp speaker combinations of all time. Personally, if you don't like the Deville, I really think you have questionable tastes, cause its one of the best selling amps worldwide, and has amazing cleans and awesome blues break up...but whatever,..thats not my point.
                  My point is, you have some guys running around here thinking they can put a pedal in front of a Fender amp and make it just as good as a Marshall or other great distortion amp.
                  WRONG. Its okay of thats all you have,and I'm sure you might be able to coax some reasonably decent high gain sound from it, but it will never ever *ever be a Marshall , and just to be fair, nor will a Marshall ever be a Fender, and frankly I'm sick of people trying to claim otherwise cause its BS..just my opinion you understand...but otherwise, if you aint into cleans and you aint into blues, sell the Fender and get a Marshall or a different hgh gainstyle amp and stop trying to get blood from a turnip ( oh..'so to speak").

#1) Who said anything about a 2 ohm mismatch? If the amp & cab are hooked up as I described? NO MISMATCH!
                  #2) There has to be a 100+ dirt boxes on the market today That will push a clean amp into a Marshall-seque sound.
                  #3) If you need a Marshall Tone? GET A MARSHALL ! But there is no magic box I'm aware of that will give a Marshall a Clean Fender-seque Tone?

Comment

Originally posted by kmcguitars View Post

#1) Who said anything about a 2 ohm mismatch? If the amp & cab are hooked up as I described? NO MISMATCH!
                    #2) There has to be a 100+ dirt boxes on the market today That will push a clean amp into a Marshall-seque sound.
                    #3) If you need a Marshall Tone? GET A MARSHALL ! But there is no magic box I'm aware of that will give a Marshall a Clean Fender-seque Tone?
                    "WTF ??" "WTF?"?"?
                    duh..

You can't be serious trying to get a grat tMarshall tone out of a Fender amp. Sorry. Youll be laughed the "WTF" (duh) out of any marshall forum. Sell the Deville, get a Marashall.
                    and.... "WTF ?!" ( duh...) you can't be serious advising this guy to put a Deville on a 4x12 Marshall cabinet can you?? ...i mean, csuse if you are, bsides how stupid it would look then people on some of the serious marshall Amp forums would probably tell you.."WTF!!"

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                      "WTF ??" "WTF?"?"?
                      duh..

You can't be serious trying to get a grat tMarshall tone out of a Fender amp. Sorry. Youll be laughed the "WTF" (duh) out of any marshall forum. Sell the Deville, get a Marashall.
                      and.... "WTF ?!" ( duh...) you can't be serious advising this guy to put a Deville on a 4x12 Marshall cabinet can you?? ...i mean, csuse if you are, bsides how stupid it would look then people on some of the serious marshall Amp forums would probably tell you.."WTF!!"
                      Who in the **** ever said I wanted a Marshall tone. I just got the Deville because I am TIRED of the Marshall tone. I want a chimey Fender high. I don't play metal so I only use 2 dirt boxes, and one is a fairly low-gain Blues Driver. Also, I got the Mesa cab (V30 loaded) because the V30's are supposed to produce good clean highs when played clean.

And yes, I am ready for flaming now. (Just to add to it.... I don't scoop my mids). Go!
                      Last edited by jcthejester13; 08-18-2010, 09:47 AM.
                      Originally posted by Bass_Medic_05
                      I dig the wood!

Comment

Tech issues aside, I've always liked V30s w/Fender amps. Good for clean and crunch.

Comment

Working...
                        X