ProCo RAT & clones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ProCo RAT & clones

It's my understanding the majority of newer ones suck. I had an old 80s model i bought new BITD which If I remember correctly I sold to TGWIF several years back.

I know the new 85 reissue is highly thought of , and there is a really nice sounding clone from Retro-Sonic, but these are both 2 bills.

Anything more reasonably priced? not necc looking for extra features/options like the retrosonic has (though I wouldn't mind) just looking for a good basic vintage RAT style tone.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Re: ProCo RAT & clones

Check out the BYOC Mouse.
    Assembled.

Or get a Duecetone and mod the hell out of it.

MM
    MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
    Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

or just get a new rat and mod it
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Thanks for the links-

Should add- not a modder so I'm looking for plug & play
        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
          Thanks for the links-

Should add- not a modder so I'm looking for plug & play
          Then get one of the assembled BYOC kits.
          Best bang for the buck.

This is coming from someone who sold 2 mid-80's Rats and an R2DU and regretted every minute of it.

MM
          MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
          Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

ive got a keeley modded rat id highly recommend.
            we can be heroes

Comment

Thanks again for the suggestions

grrr...I looked at the Keeley site-seems he no longer sells them, and mods are $100 for the more recent RAT pedals (plus what I'd have to pay for the pedal itself)- For that kind of cha-ching, I'd just grab the retro-sonic.

Any other suggestions? Looks like BYOC is in the lead, but if there are some others I should check out, I'd like to hear about them

Comment

Look around, you can find 90's era Rat II pedals on the low now and then...they are more or less the same as 80's models...trust me I've owned over a dozen Rat pedals over the years!

I am down to one right now, and it is the one I got from you!

Here is one...it's a newer one but it has the Keeley mods...$99 BIN, best deal I've seen on a Rat lately!

Here is an older one, these are the ones you want if you go stock, starting bid of a bill...might go up or you might get lucky...

Here's another good one, slightly newer than the one above...sitting at a good price now...you might be able to snag this one for less than a bill.

Here is one, the JHS mods are more or less a rip off of the Keeley mods...never tried one but it might be worth a shot!

Any of those should be good to go!
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                  I am down to one right now, and it is the one I got from you!
                  Ah..thanks for rubbing it in, Christian!

Seriously though, thanks for the links!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                    Ah..thanks for rubbing it in, Christian!

Seriously though, thanks for the links!
                    Nah man...just letting you know it is safe and sound!
                    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

This one, seriously.

Before I do something stupid.

MM
                      MM

Comment

I KNOW!!!

Thats a STUPID good deal!

Comment

I know it is.

Unfortunately, I think my amp just gave up the ghost this morning-may need the funds for a new amp : pissed:

Comment

The Turbo Rat I've owned was a very non-transparent pedal. The openness and resonance the guitar has were reduced when I've turned it on. It was also very picky when it came to amps.

Not a bad sounding pedal actually - but the feel was way off... won't be surprised if the other current production Rats suffer from the same problem.

I wonder if the BYOC model is more transparent.

Comment

Working...
                            X