• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peavey vtm 120

found one for 200 bucks in awsome shape

anybody got some opinions on these for extreme metal death/thrash/doom

i think suffocation used em back in the day but not for sure

Re: peavey vtm 120

I've heard nothing but good things about 'em. Supposed to be just the ticket for Doom/Stoner/Desert Rock. Lots of gain on tap, but not super high gain stuff. It's worth checking out at the very least. Can you plug into it and give it a test run?

Comment

yea i did that but it was through a ****ty washburn cab. i am gonna bring my cab. however it didnt sound too bad at all through the washburn cab

Comment

they're very cool amps. LOUD but as Gr8Scott says, not massive amounts of gain. I thought mine sounded similar to a jcm800. pretty customizable with the dip switches on front, Nice score.
        Blessed is he who expects little for he shall not be disappointed.
        You can educate ignorance but you can not educate stupidity.

Originally posted by stratocastered
        In a world where its necessary for a man to wax his chest, you'll find me parallel parking perfectly with a 12-pack and a full beard.
        http://www.reverbnation.com/c./a4/11...65/Artist/link

Comment

i think i may do it then..... depending how it does with my cab and guitar that is

Comment

At the price being asked, you can turn it around for a profit apparently.

Comment

thats kool.... how much they going for

Comment

Between $275 and $300 depending on where you look. Sometimes you can find the head and matching cab for $525.

Comment

I play through one at the paractice space...it's loud and almost clear...the preamp is a bit fizzy no matter how low you set it.
                  - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                  Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                  The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
                    I play through one at the paractice space...it's loud and almost clear...the preamp is a bit fizzy no matter how low you set it.
                    This guy seems to get pretty good sounds out of his VTM 60.

The one in your practice space is probably biased to be cold as a witches boobs in a brass bra. Peavey is well known for their ultra conservative fixed bias in amps of this vintage. It probably needs to be rebiased.
                    Last edited by Gr8Scott; 08-22-2010, 06:42 AM.

Comment

I bet that's it...the fizz just never goes away. I'll tell the owner to check that out.

It sure is loud, though, and resonably warm sounding. Only reason I play it is so I can ride my motorcycle with my guitar in a gig bag, and not carry an amp to practice.
                      - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                      Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                      The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

I think Steve Morse used this amp for alot of years...I have always heard good things about it.
                        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Kim Thayil of Soundgarden used the VTM 120 for pretty much everything until the last couple disks when he added a couple Mesas
                          Gravity...its just a theory

Comment

Working...
                          X