NPD: ZVex Distortron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD: ZVex Distortron

Bought it on Thursday, took it to rehearsal today.

<3 <3 <3

My Stiletto does very good clean and excellent heavy crunch. I wanted something to get the "in between" light/medium crunch, like a cranked Deluxe or JTM 45. The Distortron does exactly that, and it does it better than any other pedal I've heard. It can do higher gain stuff too if need be, but I like it as a medium gain pedal.

The Distortron is the little brother of the legendary Box of Rock. It's basically the distortion side of the BoR with a couple of tweaks. There's a low/high gain switch. On low gain it's the same as the BoR; high gain piles on some more juice and takes this baby into hot-rodded Marshall territory.

The Subs switch solves a problem a lot of people have with the BoR: too much low end. At 3 you get the gigantic lows the BoR is known for. 2 gives a moderate low end cut that works well with modern high gain amps that already have tons of lows, and 1 cuts a lot of the lows for a nice tight crunch. I find the Stiletto likes the pedal on 2 best: 3 is a bit flubby, and 1 is not fat enough. Your amp may vary, and that's why the switch is there.

When I demo'd the pedal in the store, I played it through a Hot Rod DeVille. It sounded damn good there, but it sounds friggin' incredible through the Stiletto. Based on this and on the things I've read, I gather that the BoR and the Distortron like EL34 amps best. I've also tried a BoR through a Traynor YCV-50blue, which also sounded incredible and also has EL34's.

My only complaints relate to the enclosure layout, and I guess you could say this about any ZVex pedal really. My big clumsy feet don't do to well with the switch so close to the knobs. I also don't like the DC jack being so close to the input jack. I had to put it in a less than ideal spot on my pedal board to ensure the input plug didn't block the DC jack.

Anyway, the Distortron is my dream pedal for adding a third tone to my two channel amp. It has a "real amp" feel to it that you only get from a high quality pedal. It breathes, grunts, and sings like a cranked tube amp would. Highly recommended for anyone looking for a Marshall-in-a-box type of thing, or anyone looking to make their small clean amp sound like a big, cranked stack.
    Band: www.colouredanimal.com
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
    Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Re: NPD: ZVex Distortron

my Box of Rock is the only pedal i feel like i NEED.

i showed it o my friend, plugged into a DSL100...his jaw dropped and after he spent a while messing with settings and comparing / contrasting, he came up to me and said "The pedal on the clean channel sounds better than the crunch channel alone!"

Z.Vex did us a huge favor with that circuit.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I sooo want to have one of those, and feed it with my Blues Driver as a clean boost if more crunch is needed...
      Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
      Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
      Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
      Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
        I sooo want to have one of those, and feed it with my Blues Driver as a clean boost if more crunch is needed...
        I think you'd probably prefer a Tube Screamer type of overdrive in front of it. I use mine with the Raptor into it, and it's basically a fatter version of the standard Distortron tone.
        Band: www.colouredanimal.com
        Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
        Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

^ yeah my normal rig is now Tuner - Route 808 - Big Muff (maybe) - Box of Rock - amp...the 808 thickens up the BoR nicely...the Big Muff is either a fuzzy alternative or mixes with the BoR for really thick lead tones.

I always sound amazing.

Comment

if i came there, and i mean, was like, i don't know, kind of like a cool old uncle or soemthing, I don't know...like a cool old geezer..I know its a stretch....could you get me laid..at all?
            "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Actually, Jerry, yes. You'd have to bring me that amp tho.

Comment

In my setup I never find the BOR to be too bassy,but the added gain switch would be a plus....Wish the BOR was the pedal that had all the options...Wasn't an inexpensive pedal.
                Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I've had my eye on the Distortron for a few weeks now, you aren't helping the GAS. Off to do some online shopping ......

Comment

Hmmm thats a good idea to have another crunch channel, I have a engl with awesome distortion channel but having a Marshall type gain would be nice also. Thanks for fueling the gas! lol. We need vids or its a Bugera
                    Last edited by ken361; 08-23-2010, 08:00 AM.
                    tone slut
                    Marshall DSL 40C
                    Fender EVH Striped Series
                    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
                    Fender Squier Tele Affinity
                    Mogami cables

Comment

cool review!

[speaking of low gain stuff - I fell in love with the vox night train the other day, using the bright channel and very low gain; at empty pocket's place of work no less]

Comment

Just ordered one

Comment

Box of Rock or the Distortron?

I would have no use for the extra switches on the Distortron, but I love the clean boost on the Box of Rock...when i get my Bassman cranked up, the clean boost kind of acts like a preamp gain knob the amp never had before.

This way I get 'pushed clean' Fender, 'cranked Marshall' on the Distortron side, 'cranked Fender' with just the clean boost, then use the boost and the Distortron to create a solid beam of doom.

Sometimes i tighten it all up with the 808 but i could probably get through a blues / rock gig with just my amp, my Les Paul and my Box of Rock.

Comment

I picked up a Distortron back in January and its basically replaced every dirt/OD box in my arsenal aside from fuzz pedals. I had used the BOR a handful of times and it almost always satisfied... after trying the Distortron against an OCD & a couple others it was the clear winner. So versatile.

Love the 'amp-like' feel and how it responds to hand dynamics, but the toggle switches open up a world of tones. I've used it as a stand-alone dirt box into clean amps and as a booster, in place of a TS9 or whatever. Never fails to satisfy.

If anything I tend to leave it in the high-gain mode a lot, even with the gain down. Not sure I'd call it "hot-rodded" marshall... sorta. Doesn't really 'up' the gain a whole lot from the lo-gain side but it has a different EQ for sure... gives the mids another voice.

Between that & the lo-cut switch its a swiss army knife. I treat that 3-way switch not as a bass cut but as a contour of sorts. In the "1" position, less bass, its got an almost "RAT-DS1" sorta vibe. Gets that cutting mids thing, like a garden variety distortion box if you want it.

My only real gripe is the noise... when the playing stops it can often be a waterfall, but its not all that different then an old-marshall or some other cranked up amp. Stop playing and it sounds like the world is about to end. So maybe its not a gripe... only kinda.
                            J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                            mixer|producer|recordist
                            mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                            All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                              Box of Rock or the Distortron?
                              Distortron. I have other pedals to boost if need be.

Comment

Working...
                              X