Old JJs and new ones.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old JJs and new ones.

It seems like the newer ECC83S I've been buying are duller and more bassy compared to the crunchy, crispness of my old ones. I notice the older ones(from around 2004-2007) have very shiny copper inside and just look like they are built better than the oxidized copper and crooked builds of the new ones. Kind of off-putting.

Re: Old JJs and new ones.

I would never use the short plate ones, never tried the long plate ones yet.
    tone slut
    Marshall DSL 40C
    Fender EVH Striped Series
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
    Fender Squier Tele Affinity
    Mogami cables

Comment

I really haven't heard any good comments about the newer JJ ECC83S tubes.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Short plate tubes typically have less chance of microphonics. The longer the plate, the more there is to vibrate. This does not apply universally, but I have read the same thing several times when researching tubes.
        My Sound Clips

Comment

I used to swear by JJ pre tubes, now, the only place I use them is for driving a tone stack, or cathode follower.
          They do have some of the highest gain, and current capability of the modern day tubes, but lately, they just haven't been getting it for V1 or PI
          Finding those old NOS Raytheon tubes I got for $5.00 each has kinda' spoiled me-
          I do like the JJ 803 (long plate).
          " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

Originally posted by marvar View Post
            I used to swear by JJ pre tubes, now, the only place I use them is for driving a tone stack, or cathode follower.
            They do have some of the highest gain, and current capability of the modern day tubes, but lately, they just haven't been getting it for V1 or PI
            Finding those old NOS Raytheon tubes I got for $5.00 each has kinda' spoiled me-
            I do like the JJ 803 (long plate).
            from what I hear the Raytheon are the bomb for the v2, i just bough a EI for 26 bucks shipped its a pretty good v2 tube. I had a Mullard RI high gain in there which are also a real decent tube
            tone slut
            Marshall DSL 40C
            Fender EVH Striped Series
            Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
            Fender Squier Tele Affinity
            Mogami cables

Comment

Working...
            X