Maxon OD9/OD9Pro...Any users?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxon OD9/OD9Pro...Any users?

Thinking about this OD9 or OD9Pro. What can you guys say about it?
    1989 Greco Les Paul EG59-60
    1992 Fernandes Telecaster
    2013 PRS Bernie Marsden SE
    2014 Tokai Love Rock LS115F
    2013 Ibanez Prestige RG3521
    2018 Ibanez JCustom RG8570Z
    Friedman Runt 50

Re: Maxon OD9/OD9Pro...Any users?

have an OD-9, i use it to tighten up my sound, keep it on pretty much 100% of the time.
    might give a bit more high end than say an 808, but it gets things very tight
    Originally posted by Aceman
    It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

I have an OD9 and OD820. I always use the OD820, but sometimes break out the OD9. I have had mine for 3 years but don't use it as much as my OD820, but I still have kept it around so long because it's such a great pedal. It's the best.

I have owned Keeley modded TS9, OD9 Pro+, SD9, TS808, Maxon OD808, and settled down with the OD9 in the end. No mods, just stock. A mod would kill this pedal in my opinion. It can't be improved upon. The tone knob works well and so do the level and gain. Put it in front of a channel switching amp and you're set.

It has a nice smooth and compressed sound. My OD820 is a little brighter overall but not as much of a sharp mid hump as the OD9. The OD808 is kind of in between. Neither of them have the amount of drive that the OD820 has. So if you're looking for a Maxon with less mid hump and more gain AND more headroom (18v internal switch), then the OD820 is the way to go.
      Last edited by UberMetalDood; 08-24-2010, 08:36 AM.

Comment

I have the OD9, keeley modded, but still has the original jrc chip in it. I bought it modded, never played through a stock one. I only use one setting, drive all the way down, volume all the way up, tone in the middle. Any other setting seems pretty useless to me. Gives great smooth overdrive on the clean channel, the guitar tone still shines through and it is true bypass when the pedal is off. On a gain channel, like ex-250 says, it tightens up the distortion. Also, adds some killer harmonics and sustain. Unlike other tube screamers, I feel like the OD9 really keeps all of your bass in the mix and doesn't add a ton of mids, just enough. I was testing out a mic and recorded some sloppy riffs, check it out if you want to hear the OD9 through the peavey xxx ultra channel.

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
          I have an OD9 and OD820. I always use the OD820, but sometimes break out the OD9. I have had mine for 3 years but don't use it as much as my OD820, but I still have kept it around so long because it's such a great pedal. It's the best.

I have owned Keeley modded TS9, OD9 Pro+, SD9, TS808, Maxon OD808, and settled down with the OD9 in the end. No mods, just stock. A mod would kill this pedal in my opinion. It can't be improved upon. The tone knob works well and so do the level and gain. Put it in front of a channel switching amp and you're set.

It has a nice smooth and compressed sound. My OD820 is a little brighter overall but not as much of a sharp mid hump as the OD9. The OD808 is kind of in between. Neither of them have the amount of drive that the OD820 has. So if you're looking for a Maxon with less mid hump and more gain AND more headroom (18v internal switch), then the OD820 is the way to go.
          What made you choose the OD9 instead of the OD9Pro?

Thanks guys.
          Friedman Runt 50

Comment

i use an od9 as my only pedal ( i have seven other overdrives sitting in a briefcase). . Its nice but nothing that any other TS type pedal cant do they main cool thing is the true bypass.
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by cayle_6 View Post
              What made you choose the OD9 instead of the OD9Pro?

Thanks guys.
              It's a subtle difference but I think the OD9 is slightly smoother and darker than the Pro+. The Pro+ is probably a better pedal and more versatile but I like the OD9 the way it is. It's definitely better than the Ibanez pedals. Don't get it modded because it will screw it up.

If you want something in between an SD9 and a OD9, the OD9 Pro+ is that pedal. It has more gain and sounds a little more aggressive than the OD9, but not over-the-top Marshall EQ like the SD9. If you want more gain than the OD9 but a very Marshall sound the SD9 is the way to go.

Again I have to emphasize never getting a Maxon modded. They're perfect stock.

Comment

It's a subtle difference but I think the OD9 is slightly smoother and darker than the Pro+. The Pro+ is probably a better pedal and more versatile but I like the OD9 the way it is. It's definitely better than the Ibanez pedals. Don't get it modded because it will screw it up.

If you want something in between an SD9 and a OD9, the OD9 Pro+ is that pedal. It has more gain and sounds a little more aggressive than the OD9, but not over-the-top Marshall EQ like the SD9. If you want more gain than the OD9 but a very Marshall sound the SD9 is the way to go.

Again I have to emphasize never getting a Maxon modded. They're perfect stock.
                I see. But can every other Tubescreamer pedal do what the Maxon does? And I'm looking for a stand-alone overdrive pedal, with lots of gain to tap, and should sound sweet enough with the gain rolled back. Barber Direct Drive actually caught my attention, but so does the Maxon.
                Friedman Runt 50

Comment

Originally posted by cayle_6 View Post
                  I see. But can every other Tubescreamer pedal do what the Maxon does? And I'm looking for a stand-alone overdrive pedal, with lots of gain to tap, and should sound sweet enough with the gain rolled back. Barber Direct Drive actually caught my attention, but so does the Maxon.
                  I don't know man. All I can tell you is what appeals to my ears. Some people say tube screamer type pedals all sound the same. I don't agree with that. I think the Maxon sounds exceptional but it's also the response and feel that makes it a great pedal. It doesn't thin out your sound or color it very much. It enhances the tone. The TS9 just doesn't have the same quality tone or feel as the maxon.

Maybe someone would say that's bull because they're both just tubescreamers, blah blah blah. I've heard all that before and I still disagree. Let your ears determine what sounds good. All I can tell you is I've been through all those and I told you what I prefer and why.

The Barber Direct is a great pedal too but something about the Maxon makes it better in my mind. They are afterall the owners original tube screamer who a license to Ibanez or whatever. I like the barber direct too but it's not as tight as the Maxon and it also has a less natural pick attack than the OD9 in my opinion.

I'm not saying it's not as good as the Maxon because it probably is but the Maxon gives me everything I want. Plus you can beat the hell out of it and it won't stop working!

Comment

It's definitely better than the Ibanez pedals.
                    what he said.

Comment

The Barber Direct is a great pedal too but something about the Maxon makes it better in my mind. They are afterall the owners original tube screamer who a license to Ibanez or whatever. I like the barber direct too but it's not as tight as the Maxon and it also has a less natural pick attack than the OD9 in my opinion.

I'm not saying it's not as good as the Maxon because it probably is but the Maxon gives me everything I want. Plus you can beat the hell out of it and it won't stop working!
                      I have an OD9 and a Barber Direct Drive with the mod PCB. With the extra trim pots in the DD you can make that thing as tight, loose, low gain, high gain as you want. For TS pedals the OD9 is my favorite but I prefer the DD as a gain boost for my Marshall (2204). And the Barber is built like a tank.

Cheers,

CJ
                      www.myspace.com/cjreaper

Comment

Originally posted by Usurper666 View Post
                        I have an OD9 and a Barber Direct Drive with the mod PCB. With the extra trim pots in the DD you can make that thing as tight, loose, low gain, high gain as you want. For TS pedals the OD9 is my favorite but I prefer the DD as a gain boost for my Marshall (2204). And the Barber is built like a tank.

Cheers,

CJ
                        I never heard of a Barber Direct mod. I can't imagine anyone wanting to mod those pedals because they sound good already. The only modded pedal I think I would buy these days is a Keeley or Monte Allums modded MT2.

Comment

I never heard of a Barber Direct mod. I can't imagine anyone wanting to mod those pedals because they sound good already. The only modded pedal I think I would buy these days is a Keeley or Monte Allums modded MT2.
                          It's an option Barber offers, it's an extra PCB with trim pots for note shape (tightness), harmonics, gain, compression, mids and fizz (for dealing with vintage speakers). The stock pedal does sound great but having the extra controls really adds to the versatility of the pedal.

Cheers,

CJ
                          www.myspace.com/cjreaper

Comment

Originally posted by Usurper666 View Post
                            It's an option Barber offers, it's an extra PCB with trim pots for note shape (tightness), harmonics, gain, compression, mids and fizz (for dealing with vintage speakers). The stock pedal does sound great but having the extra controls really adds to the versatility of the pedal.

Cheers,

CJ
                            That sounds pretty cool. I didn't know they offered mods. Any sound clips of the modded vs unmodded?

Comment

That sounds pretty cool. I didn't know they offered mods. Any sound clips of the modded vs unmodded?
                              I don't have any but I think there are some demos on YouTube.

Cheers,

CJ
                              www.myspace.com/cjreaper

Comment

Working...
                              X