IT IS TIME (deville mod questions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IT IS TIME (deville mod questions)

So it's finally that time, gonna be putting a BF tonestack in the deville and do... something with the drive channel, I guess we'll see.

Here's my question, aside from changing stuff around in the preamp, AT pot on the MV, new jacks, etc, are there any parts that I should change with higher quality ones of the same value? I guess this mostly pertains to the power amp/rectifier/bias/whatever, I remember reading somewhere that changing something in the power section helped with response and articulation and all that, but I don't remember what.

Thanks guys
    Originally posted by gibson175
    metal zones are for pussies.

Re: IT IS TIME (deville mod questions)

did you already do the flying leads mod to the inputs jacks, mounting them to the chassis with switchcraft quality jacks?
    That should be first priority. I don't know if they have that flying lead mod for the Deville circuitboard mounted tube sockets.
    Any circuitboard tube socket mounted amp shouldnt be messed with., unless to put flying leads and mount the tube sockets to the chassis.
    Modifying a Deville to Blackface is a rediculous idea.
    Devilles are fantastic sounding amps as is, and they will never be worthy of PTP Fender silverface modded to blackface specs effort, and they shouldn't be.
    Your silverface amps are really sweet sparkly amps, and thats what the reissue blackfaces sound like, but NOT the real Blackface amps. The real blackfaces don't sound like the sparkly Silverface amps or reissues ( except maybe the Deluxe) but they are deep and woderfully thick and magical, but not as sparkly.
    Why you want to "blackface" a Deville I'll never know, but its a rediculous idea in my opinion.
    Sell the Deville and get a Silverface and modify that to blackface.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

is this the deville with the 15" JBL in, or something?
      i get a bit fappy when i think about that.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
        did you already do the flying leads mod to the inputs jacks, mounting them to the chassis with switchcraft quality jacks?
        That should be first priority. I don't know if they have that flying lead mod for the Deville circuitboard mounted tube sockets.
        Any circuitboard tube socket mounted amp shouldnt be messed with., unless to put flying leads and mount the tube sockets to the chassis.
        Modifying a Deville to Blackface is a rediculous idea.
        Devilles are fantastic sounding amps as is, and they will never be worthy of PTP Fender silverface modded to blackface specs effort, and they shouldn't be.
        Your silverface amps are really sweet sparkly amps, and thats what the reissue blackfaces sound like, but NOT the real Blackface amps. The real blackfaces don't sound like the sparkly Silverface amps or reissues ( except maybe the Deluxe) but they are deep and woderfully thick and magical, but not as sparkly.
        Why you want to "blackface" a Deville I'll never know, but its a rediculous idea in my opinion.
        Sell the Deville and get a Silverface and modify that to blackface.
        I already mentioned jacks, tube sockets are included in "etc"

And I'm not "blackfacing it", I'm putting in a BF tonestack to give it a more fendery midrange, which is really the only difference in the preamp. Stop ranting and read a lil bit

And yes it's the one with the JBL clone
        Originally posted by gibson175
        metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Working...
        X