any suggestions on wireless units?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any suggestions on wireless units?

I have been thinking about getting a wireless unit for guitar. I am so sick of tripping over knotted up cords,cords that twist,unplugging them with my big feet,befor I started running cords through my strap..I still step on it, I just cant unplug it..looking for opinions about which one 's to check out. I know nothing about them,other than I wont trip on it.
    play louder than the other guy.....

Re: any suggestions on wireless units?

I got a used Shure off ebay. Got it for around $65 maybe. It was a Shure UT-4 maybe? Can't remember model name off hand. It has the little transmitter backpack and unit. Pretty sweet. Hasn't failed me yet. Allows you to be heard clear from a distance, doesn't break up moving around. Solid.
    Originally posted by grumptruck
    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
    Originally posted by Gear Used
    PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
    Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
    Mesa Stiletto Ace
    Gurus 5015
    Mesa Widebody 1X12
    Pedalboard

Comment

I've been using an Audio Technica system for years. Works great, sounds great and has been very reliable.

Every time I think about upgrading my system I have to stop myself and say "what for? it still works perfectly!"
      If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
      DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

I recommend shure or sennheiser, solid brands. Akg is good. I would go with the transmitter backpack lavier cord over the bug though.....
        Originally posted by grumptruck
        No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
        Originally posted by Gear Used
        PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
        Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
        Mesa Stiletto Ace
        Gurus 5015
        Mesa Widebody 1X12
        Pedalboard

Comment

Old Shure TG user here. Ages ago I bought it from a friend. Never had any problem with it. Tried other wireless stuff as well but I liked Shure units the best. There is something with the sound and response that I like very much, can't point out what.

You really can't go wrong with Sennheiser, AKG or AT stuff and the new Line6 wireless systems might be worth checking. Back in the time before getting my Shure I checked some older rack-size NADY wireless units, too. Impressive stuff.
          Wackor
          Ørdøg
          NecroPolo
          Diabolus in Musica
          SIDrip Alliance
          Book of Shadows
          RKH

Comment

I like Sennheiser wireless-
            A word of caution!!:
            If you buy any used units- make sure it isn't in the 700MH range- it is now illigal to use that band- as of June 12, 2010. This applies ONLY to north america. Tons of systems were sold in that range over the years- we had to replace all our wireless units at church.
            Lots of people, bands,churchs, etc, are dumping their old wireless systems, but not mentioning to anyone that the FCC took that band back-a small part of it now belongs to emergency responders, the rest of the band was sold to the cell phone companies.
            The problem isn't that you will transmit on their frequencies so much, most units aren't that powerful, but
            you might get some really interesting stuff ( cell conversations, emergency conversations, noise, etc) just start coming out thru your amp in the middle of a show.
            Last edited by marvar; 08-25-2010, 10:44 AM.
            " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

I'm using a sennheiser wireless.
              Its been with me since 2007. I tbought it off eBay.
              Its in the band of 200 range.
              Its the very first version it came with and the sound is crystal clear.
              I would definately recommend it.
              I don't use it at home though.
              Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
              Gibson 1959 reissue
              Gibson 1960 reissue
              Gibson EDS-1275

Freedom through the blood of Christ

Comment

My suggestion: Don't get one. I tried Shure and Sennheiser and couldn't get over the loss of low end I got. It was small, but noticeable (to me).
                Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

thanks for the input guys.
                  play louder than the other guy.....

Comment

I've been using an Audio Technica 1400 series for the last decade or so and have no complaints
                    www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

I use a cheapo t-bone thing that I got off the bay.
                      Seems to work fine.
                      Not sure about those bug transmitters youtend to get these days. It seems to but big lump just where you don't want it.
                      It is nice not to trip over wires at gigs anymore.
                      It's a valve sporker... it sporks valves

Comment

Line 6 has a new digital wireless system that doesn't suffer from the bandwidth/dynamic range limitations of older analog systems, nor the 700Mhz range restriction. It might be worth checking out.
                        Originally posted by ratherdashing
                        If you don't see the value of a good 1 watt tube amp, it probably means one or more of the following:

- You live out in the country
                        - You hate your neighbours
                        - You mistakenly believe that your big amp with the master volume at 0.5 sounds good
                        - You love solid state amps
                        - You don't actually play guitar
                        - You kick puppies

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
                          My suggestion: Don't get one. I tried Shure and Sennheiser and couldn't get over the loss of low end I got. It was small, but noticeable (to me).
                          I agree. Nothing is ever going to sound as good as a decent cable. It's much easier to learn how to handle a guitar cable and one's feet (much cheaper too). A new cable every few years is more economical and will always sound better. After spending a lot of money on guitars, pickups and amps, why would anyone want to compromise that on an inferior method of getting the precious signal from the guitar to the amp or pedalboard?

Obviously there might be times when a wireless system would be needed, but very few of us are playing in those kind of situations most of the time, if ever. I have had several occasions where i have seen and heard a rig used with both methods, and it has always been noticeable how much better a cable sounds. You simply need to learn the art of flicking the cable to keep it out of the way. (It has always made me laugh seeing guys playing with wireless systems in small bars where their amp is only a couple of feet behind them, and they never leave the stage, so the use of a wireless system seems redundant, and in my opinion, derogatory to the sound. So maybe then it's just some kind of image thing?)
                          Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
                            I agree. Nothing is ever going to sound as good as a decent cable.
                            So maybe then it's just some kind of image thing?)
                            In many cases, it is, or a case of the one that dies with the most useless toys, wins!
                            I saw Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers a couple of weeks ago in Atlanta-
                            they were all hard-wired. Those guys can afford anything they want- they still mostly use cables. It was pretty entertaining to watch Tom move all over the stage, and still no one got tripped up, or tangled up. Almost like choreography.
                            " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
                              Obviously there might be times when a wireless system would be needed, but very few of us are playing in those kind of situations most of the time, if ever. I have had several occasions where i have seen and heard a rig used with both methods, and it has always been noticeable how much better a cable sounds. You simply need to learn the art of flicking the cable to keep it out of the way. (It has always made me laugh seeing guys playing with wireless systems in small bars where their amp is only a couple of feet behind them, and they never leave the stage, so the use of a wireless system seems redundant, and in my opinion, derogatory to the sound. So maybe then it's just some kind of image thing?)
                              IMO, the size of the venue or distance to amp/effects doesn't matter - its a convenience factor. One less thing to worry about/think about when I'm playing. I don't have to worry about where my cable is, flicking it, or in a crowded space - standing on it. If I do move around my small space, I don't have to worry about it getting tangled up in my pedal board or reeling it in.

And, no I'm not trying to be cool. Its a joy playing "unplugged". I'll admit, batteries are a drag especially when they die. They get expensive too. I'll occasionally use my cable to economize, but them I'm instantly reminded of how liberating it is to be cable-free.

Different strokes for different folks, you know how it is...
                              If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
                              DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

Working...
                              X