Clear All

• Hiwatt vs Marshall

What brand amp do you prefer and why?
    Hiwatt
    39.53%
    Marshall
    60.47%

Re: Hiwatt vs Marshall

I voted Marshall, because that works best for me.

However my favorite "Marshall" sound is a Hiwatt. (Page's live 1970 tone)
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
    Originally posted by Slash2987
    Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
    Originally posted by PVFan
    I'm a good sex man.
    Originally posted by Grumpy
    I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Marshall, because that's the sound I grew up on in the 70's and 80's and the amp that I prefer to play through if at all possible. I honestly don't know a ton about Hiwatt though.
      My Sound Clips

Comment

I voted for Fender because I did.
        Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
        Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

I vote Marshall simply because I've never played (or conciously heard) a Hiwatt.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I voted Hiwatt because I wanted to be the first one to vote "Hiwatt".

Comment

Having played and owned both the answer is easy!

HIWATT

Real HIWATTs that is, those made by Dave Reeves and Hylight Electronics.

HIWATTs have much more power, a much more effective and usable tone stack.

here are a few pics of the Vintage HIWATT Convention:

www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

Comment

Of course Marshall because, Hiwatt sounds like 'Hayvan'
                "We live thinking we will never die. We die thinking we had never lived. Cut it out." - Jason Becker

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change" - Heraclitus

sigpicHouse of Jackson, Charvel, ESP, BC Rich, Dean etc.. Fans. Come and Join us!

Comment

The guitar player in me finds Marshall more usable in my real world. Hiwatts are even louder and cleaner than Plexis, which means that they must be pushed harder to give up the goods. Hiwatts have master volume but the JMP or JCM800 master volume amps may still be the more practical.

The Hiwatt may be a better pedal platform, if that's your thing, but I don't do pedals much.

The amp tinkerer in me real admires the superior build quality and superior componants of the Hiwatt. The Reeves era Hiwatt that is. Hiwatt has changed hands and designs since 1981 so many times that its difficult to determine what should be a real Hiwatt or not.

Comment

Marshall = rock. That's just the way it is. The fat mids, the snarl, and pure saturated crunch. Hiwatt amps just can't compare. How many bands have really rocked with Hiwatts? You've got the Who and Dave Gilmour used them (but also used lots of pedals and effects).
                    Originally posted by kevlar3000
                    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                    Originally posted by Zerberus
                    Better is often the enemy of good
                    Originally posted by ginormous
                    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

WHAT IS THIS GLORIOUS PIECE OF KIT!?!?

If it didn't cost half of my car I'd want it!
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Hiwatt amps just can't compare
                        Aha....sounds you have a substantial knowledge of their sound
                        Marshalls die all the time, from Plexi amps to modern times ones...a Hiwatt is the total opposite in every aspect, big huge 3D tones, very loud and clean, awesome build, while most Marshall have that boxed middy bite...and not much else....close to one trick only...
                        I love Marshalls, allthough the old ones the most...but a Hiwatt is a real great great underrated amp.....
                        Most do not like them because they are so unforgiving to play, they are wide but still have that focus that never gets lost in the big picture!
                        It is like comparing a VW Golf to a Porshe...and the Marshall is not a Porshe.

As said I like Marshalls.....but I totally love Hiwatts from back then!
                        Dave Reeves was a true master!
                        Last edited by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon; 08-28-2010, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
                          Aha....sounds you have a substantial knowledge of their sound
                          Marshalls die all the time, from Plexi amps to modern times ones...a Hiwatt is the total opposite in every aspect, big huge 3D tones, very loud and clean, awesome build, while most Marshall have that boxed middy bite...and not much else....close to one trick only...
                          I love Marshalls, allthough the old ones the most...but a Hiwatt is a real great great underrated amp.....
                          Most do not like them because they are so unforgiving to play, they are wide but still have that focus that never gets lost in the big picture!
                          It is like comparing a VW Golf to a Porshe...and the Marshall is not a Porshe.

As said I like Marshalls.....but I totally love Hiwatts from back then!
                          Dave Reeves was a true master!
                          Indeed. words of wisdom!
                          www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

WHAT IS THIS GLORIOUS PIECE OF KIT!?!?

If it didn't cost half of my car I'd want it!
                            That is the 1971 DR103 made for NAMM and Musicmesse. Dave Reeves was proud of his gear and wanted to show the Mil-Spec wiring and build.

Note: these amps have nothing in common with the "Reeves" amps made today that use the name without permission of the Reeves family.
                            www.HI-TONE-Amps.com

Comment

So, who really used Hiwatt's?
                              Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
                              X