Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD - As requested Stevie and Don!

Hey guys.

I got back a few hours ago with my Splawn Quick Rod and have been giving it a quick run through at home with my Award Session 1x12 cab with a Classic Lead 80 speaker in it. I haven't been able to try my Marshall 2x12 with it yet.

1st off, this amp is LOUD! Luckily, mine is 1 of the newer 1s that has the improved FX loop and control to allow it to be used as a master volume control for the whole amp and allow it to be bought down to more tolerable bedroom levels.

I'll start off with the clean channel:

I set all the EQ controls to 12 o clock, as I did in the shop when I 1st tried the amp, and was greeted with a perfectly usable, if not spectacular, clean tone. It's a full tone with plenty of bass and body, although I can imagine the treble getting out of hand if the EQ is pushed up much past 12 or 1 o clock. The clean channel has a control labeled as Gain, but it doesn't add any dirt to the sound at all, it just fills the sound out in the lower mids and warms the tone up. To be honest I much preferred the clean tone while I was testing in the shop, but that was at higher volume levels and through a 4x12 cab so that's to be expected.

Ok, onto the distortion channel:

I started with all the EQs and gain at 12 o clock with the amp set to Gear 1 (Modded Plexi style). The tone was a little thinner than when I originally tested the amp, again I'm assuming this is because of the difference in cabs and volume levels. 1 thing this amp has by the bucket load is clarity; every note in every chord at pretty much any gain level is as clear as a bell. I found myself pushing the gain upto 1 o clock to fill the sound out a bit more, which resulted in a really good 70s Rock heavy crunch tone. There's alot of bass on tap to fill the sound out as much as you want, and it didn't seem to get flubby at all. There's plenty of treble available too, which should be able to brighten up even the darkest sounding of guitars. Using OD 2 on these settings kicked the gain up a notch, much like adding a tubescreamer infront of the amp.

Gear 2 was next, which I believe is described in the manual as Hot Rod JCM 800 style. Even at the same settings as before the increase in gain is quite substantial. This Gear setting appears to have even more bass than Gear 1, but that could be the gain increase playing tricks on my ears, and gain wise it starts off at AFD levels of drive and goes upto and beyond Iron Maiden-ish levels. As before, there's plenty of Bass and Treble on hand as well as a huge midrange, so I'm pretty sure with more EQ tweaking this could be a very versatile channel.

Gear 3 was next, which is meant to be a Super Hot Rod JCM800 style setting. This setting had more gain than I personally use, so I didn't stay on it for too long. It's basically like taking Gear 2, upping the gain and then boosting it even more This gear had probably the most bass heavy tone to my ears, but I'm sure with more tweaking this could be sorted EQ'd better.

1 thing all the Gear settings had in common was that no matter how much gain you used, except until full gain on gear 3 and even then it still wasn't much worse, the distortion was very clear and articulate with every pick scr@pe and fret/string noise coming through. I'm definitely going to have to work on my playing!

I noticed that with the amp on and with the volume up, it was very quiet and didn't have much background noise. Just out of interest I tried the amp as being powered by the power conditioner in my rack and this also improved the background noise, so that explains why my other amps seem to hum: the electrics in my house aren't great!

I know I've not gone into too much detail as regards describing the amp tonally, but as I haven't spent that much time with it yet I don't feel it's fair for me to expand too much on initial impressions.

So here's a few more pics for anyone that cares!

Last edited by Brow; 08-28-2010, 10:49 AM.

Re: NAD - As requested Stevie and Don!

Fantastic! Looks great and sounds very versatile... morre so than my MK to be honest but I love my amp too. Can't wait to try it out... they just look so classy! Congratulations Craig, your patience has paid off.

Edit. I just re-read your post and see all those smiley faces... reminds me of someone who has just passed their driving test! Ha ha... cool.
    Last edited by d1dsj; 08-28-2010, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by d1dsj View Post
      Fantastic! Looks great and sounds very versatile... morre so than my MK to be honest but I love my amp too. Can't wait to try it out... they just look so classy! Congratulations Craig, your patience has paid off.
      Thanks Don!

I do like the look of those MK50H heads like yours, and probably would've bid more enthusiastically on 1 on Ebay last week, had I not decided I wanted footswitchable channels and boosts etc.

Keep pestering Stevie to sort a UGD again and we'll see what we can do about trying stuff out!
      Last edited by Brow; 08-28-2010, 10:53 AM. Reason: Jesus my typing sucks today..............

Comment

Originally posted by Brow View Post
        Thanks Don!

I do like the look of those MK50H heads like yours, and probably would've bid more enthusiastically on 1 on Ebay last week, had I not decided I wanted footswitchable channels and boosts etc.

Keep pestering Stevie to sort a UGD again and we'll see what we can do about tryign stuff out!
        I think you made the right choice mate if you need versatility. Looks like beating Mr. Bees up until we can get a date! Another alternative could be that we meet up late afternoon on a day when my band has a gig, then any forumbro's who turn up can lookat our set and we'll all swap around? It's all classic rock covers so I'm sure it would workout pretty darn well!

Comment

I think you made the right choice mate if you need versatility. Looks like beating Mr. Bees up until we can get a date! Another alternative could be that we meet up late afternoon on a day when my band has a gig, then any forumbro's who turn up can lookat our set and we'll all swap around? It's all classic rock covers so I'm sure it would workout pretty darn well!
          Sounds like a great idea!

Even if no-one else is much bothered about a meet up, which I doubt is the case, then we could always sort something between us as we spoke about

Where abouts are you from btw? I think Stevies mentioned it in the past but I can't remember
          Last edited by Brow; 08-28-2010, 01:17 PM. Reason: Typing sucks..................

Comment

Sounds like a great idea!

Even if no-one else is much bothered about a meet up, which I doubt is the case, then we could always sort somethign between us as we spoek about

Where abouts are you from btw? I think Stevies mentioned it in the past but I can't remember
            West Brom... so not too far from you really.

The guys in my band are generally cool about guest players so it could be a great laugh!

Comment

(wow, the Splawn-bug seems to be CONTAGIOUS, isn't that like the 3rd QR this month?)

Congrats on the NAD, ENJOY IT!!

Comment

Sounds a great plan, keep me posted. I'm sure I could get down to west brom without too much trouble

Brow, glad ya enjoying the amp
                It's a valve sporker... it sporks valves

Comment

Originally posted by Uk Ant View Post
                  Sounds a great plan, keep me posted. I'm sure I could get down to west brom without too much trouble

Will do!

Comment

Looks like we have the same taste in amps:

Comment

I've been out with the family today, but this is the first thread I've looked for now that I'm back home!!!

Congrats Craig, looks fantastic and sounds like you've got a lot of tone-finding fun ahead of you!!!

I'm trying to see if I can tee up a couple of venues later in the year to see if we can arrange a UK UGD. I'll keep you posted...

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

West Brom... so not too far from you really.

The guys in my band are generally cool about guest players so it could be a great laugh!
                        Nah, not too far at all! About 50miles down the A38 I think

Originally posted by elscorcho View Post
                        (wow, the Splawn-bug seems to be CONTAGIOUS, isn't that like the 3rd QR this month?)

Congrats on the NAD, ENJOY IT!!
                        Thanks!

Cheers mate!

How you getting on with your MESA btw?

Originally posted by lpmarshall View Post
                        Looks like we have the same taste in amps:
                        It appears so

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
                        I've been out with the family today, but this is the first thread I've looked for now that I'm back home!!!

Congrats Craig, looks fantastic and sounds like you've got a lot of tone-finding fun ahead of you!!!

I'm trying to see if I can tee up a couple of venues later in the year to see if we can arrange a UK UGD. I'll keep you posted...
                        I read out the 1st line of your reply and my girlfriend said (and I quote): 'How sad is he?!'

Yep, it's gonna take some time to dial in, especially with my 1x12 cab. If it doesn't work out, I may have to see how feasible a Splawn 2x12 cab is

Comment

Cheers mate!

How you getting on with your MESA btw?
                          It's taking time, haven't really had time at home due to big DIY project but I think I'm getting the hang of it.

I'm finding I'm using my valve sporker OD unit quite allot to keep the bass tight.

Next gig is hopefully the burton beer festival so and I hope to have it nice and rockin for that one.
                          It's a valve sporker... it sporks valves

Comment

I'm always most impressed by gear acquisitions, when it's good American stuff that traveled the world into the hands of someone who really appreciates it. I'm sure these things are the envy of other players, when it's a piece of gear that's rare to come by.

Even out here in California, I don't see many Splawn amps. They're much bigger on the east coast.
                            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

It's taking time, haven't really had time at home due to big DIY project but I think I'm getting the hang of it.

I'm finding I'm using my valve sporker OD unit quite allot to keep the bass tight.

Next gig is hopefully the burton beer festival so and I hope to have it nice and rockin for that one.
                              Glad to hear it's going ok mate!

I'll be honest, MESAs (well, the 1s I've tried so far) are 1 amp I just can't get to work for me personally.

I still need to drag myself out the next time you're up this way

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                              I'm always most impressed by gear acquisitions, when it's good American stuff that traveled the world into the hands of someone who really appreciates it. I'm sure these things are the envy of other players, when it's a piece of gear that's rare to come by.

Even out here in California, I don't see many Splawn amps. They're much bigger on the east coast.
                              I don't really know how big/popular Splawn are over in the States, but they're pretty small and relatively unheard of over here.

I don't mind too much about the rare/exclusive thing tbh, as long as the gear will do the sound I want I'd use pretty much anything!

Comment

Working...
                              X