VHT Special 6 vs Marshall Class5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VHT Special 6 vs Marshall Class5

Should I trade in my VHT Special 6 to get a Marshall Class 5? They both have benefits - The VHT is handwired, but made in China and the cabinet is cheap. The Marshall is made in England but is PCB. I prefer handwired amps from a reliablity standpoint. The VHT is basically a modded silverface Champ, and I really prefer the way the Marshall sounds. I'm a big fan of Marshall and Hiwatt, never really cared for Fender amps. Anyway, input is appreciated.

Re: VHT Special 6 vs Marshall Class5

i would go for the marshall. i have played a class 5 a few times and liked it. i would not let handwired vs PCB play into it. if it is done right PCB is just as reliable.

Comment

those marshall class 5's are warm as hell (maybe I was just used to the Night Train last time I played one), but they sound good if that's your thing.
      VHTs don't seem to get mentioned a lot. Do they just suffer from poor marketing, or is it just another "budget" amp?

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
        those marshall class 5's are warm as hell (maybe I was just used to the Night Train last time I played one), but they sound good if that's your thing.
        VHTs don't seem to get mentioned a lot. Do they just suffer from poor marketing, or is it just another "budget" amp?
        Seems to me that people are shying away from VHT now that the name was bought/sold and they're not "real" VHT amps.
        After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

oh OK.
          In that case, yeah if you like the marshall sound more, get the marshall! I'm sure it'd be killer run with an external 1x12, maybe a greenback or something. It's plenty loud with the stock 10" but I'm no longer a fan of cramped combo amps, as tube rattling and "boxy" sounds both really bug me.
          So, go do it and report back with your NAD thread

Comment

I would say quality-wise they are comparable, the real advantage is that the VHT is easy to mod (but that may not be a factor).

Tone-wise the marshall seemed warmer/darker. It had less clean headroom, but it seemed like it was louder when cranked. What bothered me about both combos was the tube rattle at higher volumes.

Personaly, I liked the VHT a little more and it is on my GAS list because:

1) Head format
            2) More range of sounds (clean and dirty) via inputs and footswitchable boost (marshall had pretty much one sound although a good one)

Actually I think that they both are some of the best amps in that price/feature category.
            Ultimately, though if the sound of the Marshall appeals more to you, that is what you should get. Also do and AB comparison if you have not already.

P.S. : If you happen to have the head version of the vht and get rid of it I might be interested.

Comment

this whole thread became gay as soon as you said you really like the sound of one more than the other.

all the other specs just became meaningless. one sounds better. that's the one you want.
              green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

^ i'm generally right most of the time but nobody ever wants to admit it

however if i find out i'm wrong about something i'm usually the first to admit it.
                green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by empty pockets View Post
                  this whole thread became gay as soon as you said you really like the sound of one more than the other.

All the other specs just became meaningless. One sounds better. That's the one you want.
                  +1

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar Guy View Post
                    What bothered me about both combos was the tube rattle at higher volumes.
                    So, how do you guys notice this?

Comment

totally different flavors...
                      Vht has 6l6 tubes...
                      Marshall el84's...

Comment

have you ever heard a glassy/metallic ringing sound while playing a small combo amp? Take a power tube and hold it next to your hear, and then shake it. Now imagine that you can still hear it while your amp is loud as hell. it's a really annoying sound, and I'm sure it's not good for the tubes.
                        Microphonic tubes squeal too easily and sound like crap after a while. Tube rattle leads to that eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                          have you ever heard a glassy/metallic ringing sound while playing a small combo amp?
                          Interesting, but no. And I play a small combo amp.
                          I'll give it a try next time, maybe it's there and I don't notice it.
                          Anyway, now I know what to hear for. Tx.

Comment

Originally posted by cronnin View Post
                            So, how do you guys notice this?
                            It is a certain sound that seems to cut through the amp sound quite well. I don't hear on all small amps, and more so on the marshal than the VHT.

Although, it may be true that if one got a ways away from the amp that the sound of the rube rattle would not travel as far or it might get lost if you are playing in a band. However, my use of small amps is for practice where i am quite close or perhaps recording; in either case it is enough to bug me.

Comment

Having played both of thost I would still go with the Class 5. It's deafeningly loud for a 5w amp. With humbuckers the breakup is sweet even when it's cranked up all the way. At max volume the tone never craps out. It's so good with pedals too.

I have played several of the (new) VHT line. Their amps are quite good actually. Nice amp for sure but my preference is definitely for the Class 5. I wish Marshall would make a 40w combo with the Class 5 sound on one channel and a JCM800 sound on another. That would be the ultimate tube combo amp.

Comment

Working...
                              X