JSX users: Which power tubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JSX users: Which power tubes?

Just curious what type of power tubes any JSX users here might be running, and why. EL34? 6L6? KT77? What are you using, what style of music do you play, and why do you prefer that particular power tube?
    After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Re: JSX users: Which power tubes?

I'm really interested in hearing more about the JSX. I really don't need a 120 watt head, but it sounds like a pretty decent amp, with a lot more useable tones than the XXX or the 6105....at least you can dial in some British tones it sounds like.

In my experience, the choice of tubes comes down to how much headroom you want, and how you want your breakup to sound. 6L6 will have the most headroom and a tighter breakup while the EL 34 will break up sooner and have a more spongy breakup, which I prefer. The KT77 falls right in the middle, I think, but no personal experience with that one.

I'll look forward to hearing some opinions from those who know and reading more about the amp.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

I have one landing tomorrow and am just curious how other people are using theirs. I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces.
      After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

I'm using EHX EL34's right now. They're spongy-feeling. Best way I can think of to describe the JJ 6L6's I was using was punchy, metallic, maybe sparkly. Plenty of bass too.

They both sounded great though. I've yet to try KT77 or 6CA7, but I'd like to someday. Supposedly KT77 are just a lot like the 6L6.
        Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
        Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
        Originally posted by Sosomething
        "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

I know it's not a JSX, but I run 2 Kt88s in the outside sockets of my Bugera 333XL

Comment

I'm in my fifth year owning a JSX and I've only used EL34's. Currently Svetlana's.
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

I'm in my fifth year owning a JSX and I've only used EL34's. Currently Svetlana's.
              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonrr View Post
                I know it's not a JSX, but I run 2 Kt88s in the outside sockets of my Bugera 333XL
                (it's pretty much a JSX...)

Comment

I play everything from classic rock to metal using my JSX. Also have a lot of time using different tubes in the beast.

My top choice is SED Winged C 6L6's followed by JJ 6L6's. They seem to have a fuller sound with a tighter bottom than the EL34's I've tried.
                  The JSX crunch and ultra channels have a slightly compressed tone when using the preamps higher up. I think the 6L6 compensate for this.

I said it before and I'll say it again. The JSX is a fantastic amp. Cleans are great, crunch channel can sound like a modded JCM 800, ultra channel can do high gain solos with sustain that will last for days.

Comment

el34 (stock)

Comment

Working...
                    X