Can anybody ID this tube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anybody ID this tube?

I bought a Carvin Clubmaster that had a fresh set of these a few years back and one shorted right after I got it. This set has been in my spare tube box for a few years. I dropped a 2 of the 3 I have into my Marshall JCM 900 MK III Dual Master 50 last night and they KILL in this amp! What are these ? I have never seen this base and plate design before. I know Mesa doesn't build tubes so they are relabeled something else so--what are they??
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Re: Can anybody ID this tube?

Looks like the Sovtek 5881 flat-base version to me.

Last edited by crusty philtrum; 08-31-2010, 11:04 AM.
    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

That looks like it. I am surprised that it is a Sovetec tube as the tone is KILLER in my Marshall and normally Sovetecs are shall we say less than stellar tone wise.
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
        That looks like it. I am surprised that it is a Sovetec tube as the tone is KILLER in my Marshall and normally Sovetecs are shall we say less than stellar tone wise.
        Eh. I always use the Sovtek 5881's in place of 6L6s, except in Fender amps that use the claw to grip the base of the tube, but now the 5881 is available with both types of bases (5881 WXT has the full-sized base). They are a great-sounding tube, and of the many i have installed, all have been very reliable.

The Sovtek 5881 won a 6L6 tube shootout in an audio magazine a few years ago ... Glass Audio perhaps. Sovtek-bashing seems to be a bit of a sport with some people, but I think their 5881s are excellent and more people should give them a listen before they take a stance.
        Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Agreed as these things sound not just good but great!!
          Guitars

Comment

Yeah, I remember those. There was a period in the mid 90's, when they were very popular. All my Blues Pearl Amp Co. amps had them, and they sounded great....and when I went to change tubes, the amps didn't sound as good as those Sovtek 5881's. They should still be popular choices for 6L6...I wonder why they're not?
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
              Yeah, I remember those. There was a period in the mid 90's, when they were very popular. All my Blues Pearl Amp Co. amps had them, and they sounded great....and when I went to change tubes, the amps didn't sound as good as those Sovtek 5881's. They should still be popular choices for 6L6...I wonder why they're not?
              The Sovetec rep for sounding stiff and lifeless. Folks don't try these because of the bad rap Sovetec has. Most Sovetec tubes are tough as nails but sound like crap. Two exceptions I can think of are the LPS 12 AX7's and these short bottle 5881's.
              Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                The Sovetec rep for sounding stiff and lifeless. Folks don't try these because of the bad rap Sovetec has. Most Sovetec tubes are tough as nails but sound like crap. Two exceptions I can think of are the LPS 12 AX7's and these short bottle 5881's.
                That's the truth. If I had a Fender amp needing new tubes, I'd be inclined to go with those short bottle 5881's and 12AX7LPS pre's. I don't think you could do much better. I never hear anything about those power tubes anymore, but in the 90's, tube fans were freaking out about the Sovtek 5881's. Their breakup point is a bit lower than 6L6's, which is perfect.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                X