starved plate tube design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starved plate tube design?

How well a starved plate tube design can simulated a 'real' tube design?

Is it true that a starved-plate designs are almost always solid-state preamps with a tube connected up in parallel so you can mix them to get a tooby sound?
    Last edited by crguti; 09-02-2010, 01:57 AM.

Re: starved plate tube design?

Most of the time a tube is used in stead of clipping diodes for a more tubey feel/sound.
    Some starved plate designs can sound really good, but it's mostly a gimmick. It won't work without the tube though so it definately has a function.
    I got one pedal where a LED is placed behind the tube to fake more tube glow . But it's definately a good sounding pedal.

I guess a marshall valvestate works the same way? Thats an awful sounding amp.
    So it's definately up to the design of the whole unit and not so much what the tube does for the circuit.

Nothing can substitute the real thing but in a few years digital modelers will come REALLY close.

Comment

As I understand it, a starved plate design is running a tube below the (roughly) linear operating range of the tube being used (usually a 12AX7). This should theoretically introduce some kind of tube distortion, but wouldn't be the same character as power tubes being driven beyond their operating range.

In my listening experience these designs often just sound like low-pass filters, letting a somewhat coloured darker sound through.
      Last edited by GuitarStv; 09-02-2010, 06:48 AM. Reason: too early in the morning
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
        In my listening experience these designs often just sound like high-pass filters, letting a somewhat coloured darker sound through.
        a darker sound would mean low-pass filter IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by crguti View Post
          a darker sound would mean low-pass filter IMO.
          I misspoke(wrote?) . . . gimme a break, it's still before my mid-morning coffee! :P
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Any starved-plate designs i've ever heard sounded horrible and definitely no better than a transistor version, in fact usually worse. I have no doubt it is usually done for economical reasons, and you get what you pay for. Also it is cashing in on being able to say an item has a tube in it, despite the fact that it has none of the magic that properly-operated tubes generate. Marketing BS and cr*p sound. Avoid at all costs unless you particularly like cr*p, in which case you'll be in heaven.
            Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Starved Plate = Gimmick.....It's not worth the effort to say any more.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

Working...
              X