Any Tophat fans/users/experts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Tophat fans/users/experts?

I've been offered the opportunity to trade my Dr. Z Maz 18 head+cab for a TopHat Club Royale 2x12. I know the Club Royale keeps me in the british side of things (though I had kinda wanted to go back American), it does put me more into the true AC-30 vibe with an open back 2x12 combo which I really like. This model is one of the newer ones with a solid state rectifier. If I can sell my Dr. Z head/cab I also have a line on an older Club Royale with a tube rectifier and flight case. Anyone have any information on these amps? Sound samples are sparse on youtube.

Any opinions on them? What they do well, what they don't do well, etc...
    Last edited by CapoFirstFret; 09-02-2010, 05:25 PM.
    Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
    It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Re: Any Tophat fans/users/experts?

I really boils down to personal preference...can you a/b them against one another? I would think those two amps are not entirely dissimilar. I had a 1x12 Club Royale (w/ ss rectifier) that I bought in 2006. For me personally, I like the Top Hat better than the Dr. Z when I demoed them against one another in the store...but that is me. I did feel like they were in the same ballpark, however.

The EQ on the Club Royale is very interactive and can benefit from some unconventional EQ settings (such as treble all the way down and bass and mid all the way up for a great crunch sound...settings that would be ridiculous on other amps sound good on this one). The mid control is key with the clean sounds...set it lower for a more fendery vibe, middle for voxy, and higher for marshally. The treble control is key for the cranked sounds...turning it down seems to not so much lose sparkle but make it fatter (the eq is interactive, as noted previously). For maximum chime, crank the amp and turn your guitar's volume down...chime city (Scott at Harbor Music in Redondo taught me this trick).

I also liked the bright-fat switch. It seemed tailor made to switch between my les paul (bright switch on) and tele (fat switch on).

I'm not trying to convince you here...just giving you my impression. You might also want to check out the new Vox AC15C1...it has a similar tonal palate to the Club Royale (of course, the Club Royale has superior components, is immaculately hand-wired, and made in the US, if that is important to you).

I sold it to fund another amp about two years ago (so I had it for about two years). I do miss it, and was one step away from getting a used one off craig's list last week, but finances got in the way.
    Last edited by FAC; 09-03-2010, 12:30 AM.
    Originally posted by Zhangliqun
    If I thought it would make it sound better, I'd dunk a Burst in the toilet.
    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
    But nowadays, everyone has to have a pedalboard that looks like the bridge of the starship enterprise to play Amazing Grace at church.

Comment

I played a Top Hat head back in ... about 2002. I thought it was great, but it's been too long, unfortunately, for me to remember with any clarity. I would love to try another one out, tho.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by CapoFirstFret View Post
        ... I know the Club Royale keeps me in the british side of things (though I had kinda wanted to go back American), it does put me more into the true AC-30 vibe with an open back 2x12 combo which I really like.
        I forgot to comment on this...I would not say the Club Royale gives you a true AC-30 vibe...I think it starts out voxy and gets more marshally as it is cranked up, at least the 2006 model that I had did. For a true AC-30 vibe, look at the King Royale...but these are much louder. For a true AC-15 vibe, check out the Top Hat Supreme 16...that one is based off the AC-15, and is an absolutely stellar amp...I know you're asking about trades, etc., and some of these other amps are potentially not in the cards, but I figured I would try to answer your tonal questions. I try not to bug amp builders if I am not buying new, but Brian at Top Hat is really responsive and would likely answer any tonal questions you might have.
        Originally posted by Zhangliqun
        If I thought it would make it sound better, I'd dunk a Burst in the toilet.
        Originally posted by ImmortalSix
        But nowadays, everyone has to have a pedalboard that looks like the bridge of the starship enterprise to play Amazing Grace at church.

Comment

Working...
        X