Volume Box/Attenuator...???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume Box/Attenuator...???

I love my Peavey Windsor, but gigging with it I never even get the master volume past 2 on it because it is SO LOUD and I don't get to really crank the head to get better tone. I was looking on ebay and some guys are making volume boxes that run through the effects loop on the amp so you can control your volume but still crank the head to get that awesome overdriven tube tone. It says they do pretty much the same thing as an attenuator or a power soak but at only a fraction of the price (only around $20-$30 or so...). Are they worth it, do they actually work, Or are they just junk?
    Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Re: Volume Box/Attenuator...???

check out the THD HotPlate

Comment

You need one that goes between the amp and the speaker (like the hotplate, or the dr. z airbrake, or any number of attenuators). There is a device advertised on the internet that goes in your effects loop...this is not the same as attenuation. It sort of acts more like a master volume. If you want to crank your amp to get the power tubes cooking, get one of the aforementioned attenuators.

If you have the lower wattage Windsor, I would try the Dr. Z airbrake lite...it is relatively inexpensive, and works for amps less than 45 W. If your amp has more watts, you'll need the Hotplate, full-sized Airbrake, or one of the other attenuators.
      Originally posted by Zhangliqun
      If I thought it would make it sound better, I'd dunk a Burst in the toilet.
      Originally posted by ImmortalSix
      But nowadays, everyone has to have a pedalboard that looks like the bridge of the starship enterprise to play Amazing Grace at church.

Comment

The volume box that you see on ebay is basically just a potentiometer and two plugs. You would get exactly the same effect by turning your preamp output down a bit. It's not the same as an attenuator at all. They're useful for amps with very touchy volume controls though (like many fenders).
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

you need a full blown attenuator. Cheaper than the hotplate are the Weber attenuators. Really great stuff.

The power plug 6/12 attenuator commonly found on ebay was recently given a good review by a forum member. If you don't have the scratch for a weber I'd either save or go for the power plug

yeah those "volume boxes"... you could just buy an EQ that has a volume control and stick that in the FX loop, it'd do the same thing but the EQ has obvious benefits.

Comment

Ok thanks for the information guys. I'll probably just play my amp the way it is then because I don't have much money to spend on an attenuator, thats why I was hoping one of those volume boxes would work. lol
            Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

The Power plug'' is a attenuator that someone here bought and did a thread on. It's like $85.00 and there are demos of it sounds great. I'm looking to pick one up after I get my Tim delivered later this month.

Comment

Get a Weber attenuator
                Originally posted by Lucid_Lunatic
                If you think an Epi is as good as a Gibson, you're probablly not old enough to find the clit yet.

Comment

Don’t get the Weber attenuator

Don’t get the TDH Hot plate

Get a Dr - Z Air Brake - it will work the best and not affect your tone as much as those other pieces of crap!

Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                  When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                  Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                  Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                  Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

does that amp have switchable impedance? If it does you could pay a tech to make you a load box & cut the volume in half. It's better than an attenuator in that it doesn't process your signal at all and is gonna be way cheaper, worse in that your options are half wattage or full, but yanno.
                    Originally posted by gibson175
                    metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty View Post
                      does that amp have switchable impedance? If it does you could pay a tech to make you a load box & cut the volume in half. It's better than an attenuator in that it doesn't process your signal at all and is gonna be way cheaper, worse in that your options are half wattage or full, but yanno.
                      Cut power in half, not volume. Half power would drop volume by about 3dB. That's almost never enough when an amp is too loud.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                      My Music

Comment

Working...
                      X