Crate Vintage Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate Vintage Club

my Crate vintage Club has 1-12 inch speaker at 16 ohms.

it blew a fuse (i hope thatś all it is) early on and was set aside.

does anyone know what type of fuse it takes ?

does anyone know why they would use a 16 ohm speaker ?

any other info would be helpful.

thanks.

Re: Crate Vintage Club

Do you have the 20, 30 or 50 watt version?

The 30 and 50 watt versions take a .25 amp slo-burn. Usually blows due to a shorted tube.

If you are handy with a soldering iron I would check all of the 1/4 inch jacks where they mount on the circuit board. Also the jacks almost always corrode over time so a shot of contact cleaner wouldn't hurt.

Comment

i´m not sure which model i have. i looked all over the amp last week when i did my initial research, and all it says is Vintage Club. i didn´t know they made a 20 so i thought i have a 30 because i thought the 50 has 2 speakers, but now i don´t know.

i bought it almost new (i think it had been returned) around ´98 and it promptly blew a fuse which i never replaced because i have to open the back to get to the fuse (doy) and i pretty much quit playing for a while after that.

i will check on all that you suggest. thanks so much.

btw, do they have a habit of blowing fuses ?

Comment

Do you have pictures?

I was mistaken: 20 watt= .75A slo-burn, 30 watt= 1.5A slo-burn and 50 watt= 2A slo-burn. When you determine which you have I can link the schematics.

The 20 watt model does not have a standby switch, has a headphone jack and only 6 knobs (vs 10 knobs) so it is easy to identify. The 30 and 50 should be identified as part of the "Vintage Club" logo, but Crate may have changed the logo over time.

The only difference between the 30 watt and 50 watt is the size of the transformer and the way in which the tubes are biased. The 50 watt is fixed and the 30 watt is cathode biased. The only reason it matters is that you do not have to worry about biasing the 30 watt. The 50 watt version should be serviced by someone that knows what they are doing when changing power tubes.

FYI there is also a 60 watt Vintage Club, but that only came in 2x12 or head configuration.

Comment

It uses a 16ohm speaker because the output transformer is 16 ohms-
          My VC20 is 16 ohms.
          " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

Originally posted by RealtyViking View Post
            Do you have pictures?

I was mistaken: 20 watt= .75A slo-burn, 30 watt= 1.5A slo-burn and 50 watt= 2A slo-burn. When you determine which you have I can link the schematics.

The 20 watt model does not have a standby switch, has a headphone jack and only 6 knobs (vs 10 knobs) so it is easy to identify. The 30 and 50 should be identified as part of the "Vintage Club" logo, but Crate may have changed the logo over time.

The only difference between the 30 watt and 50 watt is the size of the transformer and the way in which the tubes are biased. The 50 watt is fixed and the 30 watt is cathode biased. The only reason it matters is that you do not have to worry about biasing the 30 watt. The 50 watt version should be serviced by someone that knows what they are doing when changing power tubes.

FYI there is also a 60 watt Vintage Club, but that only came in 2x12 or head configuration.
            in that case i will say it´s a 20 ćause it has a headphone jack and 6 knobs. please excuse the poor pics...iḿ not the best photographer...

wow... Tube Bias-ing...itś a whole new world for me. back in the day, i´d go to a local mom and pop electronics store and get the recommended tube and if they didn´t have it, i´d get the standard substitution whatever it might be. then Solid State amps took over. and i remember putting DiMarzios in a single coil guitar and wondering why it was so muddy...who knew about a .47 capacitor ?

all i can say is Thank God for the internet and the Forum Bros.

thanks, man...i´ĺl get inside it and see what´s going on.

Comment

Originally posted by marvar View Post
              It uses a 16ohm speaker because the output transformer is 16 ohms-
              My VC20 is 16 ohms.
              makes sense. i was just wondering why they built a 16 ohm system. i´ve seen 16 ohm speakers for sale, but i´d never knowingly seen a 16 ohm amp - yet lo and behold i own one .

thank you kind sir.

Comment

Originally posted by post toastie View Post
                in that case i will say it´s a 20 ćause it has a headphone jack and 6 knobs. please excuse the poor pics...iḿ not the best photographer...

wow... Tube Bias-ing...itś a whole new world for me. back in the day, i´d go to a local mom and pop electronics store and get the recommended tube and if they didn´t have it, i´d get the standard substitution whatever it might be. then Solid State amps took over. and i remember putting DiMarzios in a single coil guitar and wondering why it was so muddy...who knew about a .47 capacitor ?

all i can say is Thank God for the internet and the Forum Bros.

thanks, man...i´ĺl get inside it and see what´s going on.
                Here are the VC2110 schematics. Same amp as yours just a 10" speaker instead of the 12".

That is a killer practice/ studio/ live amp. You get a nice breakup at "reasonable" volumes.

Comment

Originally posted by RealtyViking View Post
                  Here are the VC2110 schematics. Same amp as yours just a 10" speaker instead of the 12".

That is a killer practice/ studio/ live amp. You get a nice breakup at "reasonable" volumes.
                  thank you much. if thereś a major problem as to why itś blowing fuses my tech will need this.

Comment

but i´d never knowingly seen a 16 ohm amp - yet lo and behold i own one
                    Most VOX's are 16 ohm albeit they have two 8 ohm speakers in series but they are 16 ohm transformers
                    Gondola Kid
                    Bandcamp
                    Facebook
                    JimijaymesGuitarist
                    Youtube

Comment

Working...
                    X