Finding a particular 12ax7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a particular 12ax7

Quite some time ago (2 + years) I bought a Svetlana 12ax7 . It is labled with a large "S" then says Svetlana Electron Devices underneath- 12ax7, and made in russia (of course).

Long story short, I had stored it away thinking it had started to fail/go south in my old AD15 (the amp was the issue). I recently tried this in my VT15 amp on a whim, and there is a MASSIVE improvement in the tone & feel of this amp with this particular tube. It is clearer, more open, tighter, more sparkly and warmer all at the same time. I've had 5 other 12ax7/ECC83 tubes in this amp, and they produced alot of "mediocre" tone at best. Some were harsh, some muddy, some just bland & compressed. The Svet makes it sound like an entirely different amplifier-more realistic, enough to curb any amp GAS for awhile.

Where are some places (online) I can find some more of these tubes? I frankly have forgotten where I purchased it originally-may have been at a local shop that closed down.

I can take a pic if need be.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Re: Finding a particular 12ax7

I haven't seen a Svetlana with the big S on them in a while....my guess is they are old production from before the factory changed hands. You may try some of the NOS tube dealers.

I did find links for some current production Svetlana's, and some sites say they are better than the old ones. Even places like zzounds sell them, but here's a link to an actual tube dealer.

Purchase Svetlana 12AX7 preamp vacuum tubes in stock and ready to ship! Find reviews, data sheets and specs to upgrade your tube amplifier.

Edit....TAD says they have them with the S logo....I can't see it in the pic, but they say it has it.

Purchase Svetlana 12AX7 preamp vacuum tubes in stock and ready to ship! Find reviews, data sheets and specs to upgrade your tube amplifier.
    Last edited by Jeff_H; 09-05-2010, 09:31 AM.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

Thanks Bro I took a look at that link-and the supersized view- thats the EXACT tube I have. Time to order a couple or three.

Any other VT owners should give this one a try. Really opens the amp up, while making it sweeter/more realistic- and it works as well with ALL the models- some tubes will improve a few models, and make others sound horrible.
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Thats just a plain old run of the mill Svet 12AX7...any Svet dealer selling new Svet tubes will have them.
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

IDK whether it's plain 'ol, or not Christian, but it sure does a number on a Valvetronix

I've had a bunch of 12ax7s over the years in these things, some much more expensive than this Svet, and have never heard such a signficant improvement in one of these amps from a tube swap.

Comment

Glad that they still make them Jeff. If you want to try something different, but really good...the link below is to my current favorite NOS 12AX7. A little spendy, but nothing like old Mullards or Bugle Boys. Worked best in V1 of my JCM 800. It's a little darker sounding with really nice smooth crunch. Just a thought.

My Sound Clips

Comment

I gottcha...I'm just sayin you won't have to hunt hard for that tube, they are pretty common, easy to get and don't cost too much.
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
                Glad that they still make them Jeff. If you want to try something different, but really good...the link below is to my current favorite NOS 12AX7. A little spendy, but nothing like old Mullards or Bugle Boys. Worked best in V1 of my JCM 800. It's a little darker sounding with really nice smooth crunch. Just a thought.

http://www.kcanostubes.com/content/nos-rft-12ax7
                Yikes! That thing is worth more than my amp is Once me and the Mrs get out of this condo and into a house, and I get back to a real tube amp, I'll def hafta give one of those a try in a V1 spot- Thanks for the tip!

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                I gottcha...I'm just sayin you won't have to hunt hard for that tube, they are pretty common, easy to get and don't cost too much.
                I knew whatcha meant , just razzin ya a bit Thanks for the info though-good to know what sound best is easy to find, and economically priced. How's the consistency of them?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                  I knew whatcha meant , just razzin ya a bit Thanks for the info though-good to know what sound best is easy to find, and economically priced. How's the consistency of them?
                  Ya know, I'm not sure to be honest...I imagine pretty good as I haven't heard otherwise...inconsistency in tubes is usally common knowledge pretty quickly.

Comment

Working...
                  X