Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• narrowed down my speaker question - 150 watt 8 ohm 1x12

12" and/or 15" - what speaker

already know about g12k-100s and JBL 120s, but after load-testing my ZT I found it runs coolest with an 8 ohm 150 watt load. Not the most scientific, but I've tried a bunch of cabs. And, I want it to be as beefy and punchy as my Uberkab. So,

1. ) thinking about having somebody build me some pine, fingerjoined, well-carpentered boxes
    &
    2. ) thinking about just getting this, but having them put a different speaker:

1x12 CUBE CLOSED BACK DUAL PORTED

Our little Bogner 1x12 Cube has become the industry standard for stereo rig and tri-amp effects speaker use. Unlike the traditionally stiff 80's style units, Bogner cabs are rich with vintage sweetness, microphones think it's a 4x12. Closed back and dual front ported, the Bogner 1x12 Cube comes loaded with a Celestion Vintage 30 or Classic 80 , plenty of low-end with nice bell-like highs.
    tele / wolfie
    pittbull 50cl
    greenbacks

Re: narrowed down my speaker question - 150 watt 8 ohm 1x12

swamp thing
    I Build My own Guitars
    know duncan...know tone
    no duncan...no tone
    Originally posted by Warheart
    First problem right there! letting drummers write lyrics!

Comment

emi swamp thang is actually exactly-exactly for what I am looking

thank you. I mean exactly.

edit: and I hear it mentioned all the time.
      Last edited by PVFan; 09-06-2010, 07:30 PM.
      tele / wolfie
      pittbull 50cl
      greenbacks

Comment

the tonker is nice if you want a britisher sound
        I Build My own Guitars
        know duncan...know tone
        no duncan...no tone
        Originally posted by Warheart
        First problem right there! letting drummers write lyrics!

Comment

no thanks. Sold on the Swamp Thang because:

+ it gets mentioned everywhere
          + the description of it sounds perfect
          + it is called Swamp Thang
          + it is 150 watts, the perfect power handling I want
          + it's 8 ohms like my all other cabs (w/ 2 cabs, run my tube amps at 4 ohms)

the other one loses firstly but not primarily due to the fact that it's name is nowhere near as cool as "swamp thang"

if I get another 112 to have a couple in stereo I may look for high-powered alnico. may get a 115. Pretty sold on the whole swamp thang thing for now!
          tele / wolfie
          pittbull 50cl
          greenbacks

Comment

check out the peavey scorpin 12 . even peavey usto put them in thair old 120 watt amps

Comment

That Bogner 1x12 cabinet would be a great cabinet- but very expensive. I'd maybe look around for other cabinet makers who could make a decent cabinet a lot cheaper, .
              If you like "punchy", those ported cabinets are the absolute Punchiest and they sound Huge. I am loving my Ported 2x12 Lynch Cabinet. Thumps more than my Marshall 4x12's.
              The Open backed cabinets are going to give you a spongier, more Tweed Basmanesque tone though.
              I'm currently Planning a Marshall 4x12 cabinet with 2x10's on top and two twelves on bottom
              using Speaker size conversion adaptors sold by 'Vintage Amps'. Then I'm going to modify the back with 2 aperiodic "vents", which are different than ports, and that cabinet should really sound more like a full stack, and no, not of pancakes.!
              I just love talking about "aperiodic vents". It makes me sound smarter than I really am!
              "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

another option on the 1x12 cab. is go with the orange 1x12. i have not owned as much gear as some of the people on here. but the orange cab i had sounded better than any og the others. up until i got it my oversized bogner cab was my favorite. but the orange beat it in every way.

Comment

Working...
                X