DIY pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY pedals

Just wondering is ther a book or any lit anywhere that can teach me how to make my own pedals? I want to make a chorus delay and tube screamer type pedal and never have done it before.

What confuses me is what components do what? how and why?
    THEY SAY A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS. UNLESS THIS IS THE PICTURE AND THE ONLY WORDS I CAN THINK OF ARE "WHAT THE FU@K HAPPENED TO YOU?"
    sigpic
    Bogner Uberschall Twin Jet
    Bogner UberKab
    Washburn Nuno N24 Vintage
    Seymour Duncan El Diablo
    Schecter 006 Elite
    Seymour Duncan AHB 2 Blackout Metal

Re: DIY pedals

Go to Build Your own clone and find a couple build sets... they'll get you on the right track...
    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

cool thanks for the info
      THEY SAY A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS. UNLESS THIS IS THE PICTURE AND THE ONLY WORDS I CAN THINK OF ARE "WHAT THE FU@K HAPPENED TO YOU?"
      sigpic
      Bogner UberKab
      Seymour Duncan El Diablo
      Schecter 006 Elite

Comment

PM STRATDELUXER97 he likes to help tell him I sent you. He has done alot of work for a bunch of the forum bro's here.
        BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
        Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
        Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
        Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
        Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
        Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
        Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
        Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
        Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
        Gibson EBO

Comment

Start here and read all you can. And don't forget to check out the forum - it's full of knowledge and helpful people.

AL

Comment

Brian Wampler wrote a book on how to mod pedals that he used to sell online as a PDF, back when IndyGuitarist.com was his main bag. It had a lot of good basic info about what does what, plus a bunch of mods to perfrom on existing pedals, which is an excellent way to start. Now that his business has grown and morphed into Wampler Pedals, I don't know if he still sells the book. Still plenty of info at the IndyGuitarist forum, too.

Also, Monte Allums mod kits are a good way to start. The advantage is, you begin with a known-working pedal, and test after every mod step, so chances of it working when you're done are really good. Also, you get to see what the various parts look like, adn don't have to worry about what to buy, since you get a nice neat kit. Typical electronics distributors have millions of parts from which to choose, and narrowing it down to those appropriate for effects pedals can be confusing.

Once you progress a bit, I highly recommend MadBean Pedals as a supplier of ready-to-populate PC boards. The MadBean site is full of a whole list of cool projects: re-issues of out-of-production classics, DIY versions of pricey boutique stuff, and some original designs. I've used several of MadBean's boards, and have four more in the shop waiting for me. His site is still kind of new, so the forum hasn't developed a critical mass of information yet, but as far as qulaity and customer service go, he's first-rate.
            Last edited by Rich_S; 09-07-2010, 11:36 AM.
            Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
            Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

like others have suggested, I too agree that doing a few pedal kits will help build confidence. practice until you have a good consistant soldering technique.
              kits available from:

The best DIY guitar amplifier and effects pedal kits. The highest quality components and the most thorough and easy-to-follow instructions. Real customer and technical support.
              Beer me!
              Originally posted by Kam
              ...This machine runs on pr0n.

Comment

cool thanks guys i hit a few sites and its a bit intimidating but i believe im going to give it a try.
                sigpic
                Bogner UberKab
                Seymour Duncan El Diablo
                Schecter 006 Elite

Comment

www.generalguitargadgets.com - cool kits and good prices
                  Here's a link to Brian's books, http://www.indy-guitarist.com/books_

Comment

is there something missing from current pedal design keeping you from making the sounds you want to make?
                    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Got your PM but great info already offered on here..
                      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Genius.
                        Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                        Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                        Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Check out freestompboxes.org

Comment

Empty pockets : Not really to be truthful i just have always have been interested in putting one together myself. This is in part to help me understand what comp. does what and how mixing these comp. shapes the sound.
                            sigpic
                            Bogner UberKab
                            Seymour Duncan El Diablo
                            Schecter 006 Elite

Comment

Working...
                            X