Favorite Clean Amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite Clean Amps

The 65 Deluxe Reverb RI's are really sweet with a speaker swap.

Comment

To me, a great clean tone has to have sparkle, but a smooth syruppy high end, not icepick-in-the-ear high end.
      A lot of Fender amps have that.
      Ones I own and can afford that I really like:
      Genz Benz El Diablo 60. Now that I'm not gigging much, I use it more for clean tones in the home studio than for its distorted tones. It has the ability to dial in a real tight, sparkly clean, or a fatter warmer clean. Both are smooth and pleasant sounding.
      Fender Super Sonic. Another amp I find I'm recording the clean channel more than the distortion channel. Both voicings of the clean channel are nice. The Vibrolux voicing is great for sparkly clean parts with tube smoothness.
      My old Yamaha G100 solid state head. Quite similar to the Fender clean sound actually. No harshness or shrillness.
      I think the best clean tone is my Hafler Triple Giant's clean channel. Sparkly, yet smooth and silky.
      A clean channel that I found I don't like that much is the Peavey 6505+'s. I just got mine a month or two ago. I'm sure I'd read somewhere that they'd improved the clean channel over the original 6505/5150, but the + sounds thin and plinkety.
      "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
      Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
      guitar pic site
      Original prog rock on soundcloud
      Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
      Original blues on soundcloud.com

Comment

I'm not going to read everyones' posts but am going to post instantly Silver face Fender Twin for great cleans.

My '65 Princeton comes in a close 2nd.

Verellen amps have some really beautiful cleans too although they are better known for their great gain tones.
        Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon
        Let's see if I have any worth the while to say....pedals are never better than the amps they are used on
        But my guess will probally slanting towards a positive outcome!
        www.goburnband.com
        www.myspace.com/goburnband
        www.reverbnation.com/theecricket

Comment

Originally posted by Kosh Naranek View Post
          A clean channel that I found I don't like that much is the Peavey 6505+'s. I just got mine a month or two ago. I'm sure I'd read somewhere that they'd improved the clean channel over the original 6505/5150, but the + sounds thin and plinkety.
          those ya gotta turn up and when you do the green channel with crunch on/off is just big and gorgeous -- and then you find the "great" sound you had on the red channel sounds thin and plinkety by comparison, so you turn that one up to get the same fat content -- and at that point yer as loud as an airport.

that's only one reason I opted to try an inexpensive ZT Lunchbox, and soon a 2nd one for stereo, as a clean platform to get my 6505+ sounds without having to be as loud as a 747.

I set the ZT clean, but close enough to the edge that I can get a lot of breakup by playing hard. Add pedals and/or cabs to taste.
          tele / wolfie
          pittbull 50cl
          greenbacks

Comment

While I have several Fender amps (Blackface and Silver), but my favorite "SUPER" clean amp is Holland 'Little Jimi", which was custom made using two GEC KT-66 tubes and two 12" Weber speakers, (1-Blue Bell and 1-Silver Dog), on top of a Sound Enchancer 'folder horn'.
            Last edited by Stratman; 09-24-2010, 02:32 AM.
            Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
            When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
            Red Devils - 1% all the way!
            Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
            Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by greatbob6 View Post
              I'm really liking this suggestion overall and its probably the direction I personally am going to focus on...I need to get out and play both of these some more. My only issue though is that I really like having an effects loop...and it seems like none of the lower wattage Vox or Fenders have one. The AC30C2 has a loop and the Hot Rod Deluxe has a loop, but none of the lower powered amps.

Do you guys just plug delays and everything straight into the front of the amp? I understand that's not a big deal when just playing completely clean, but how well does that work if you crank the amp to get some dirt from it? I'd hate to get something like an AC15 and not be able to crank it and have delay.
              Guitar players did fine with amps and amps w/o loops for several decades and many still do fine today.

I own several amps right now and not a one of them has a loop.
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Working...
              X