banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow and subtle vibrato/warble in a compact pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow and subtle vibrato/warble in a compact pedal?

The Yamaha DG-Stomp multi-effects unit I have does a really sweet sounding warble when you tweak the Rotary Speaker Sim to an extreme setting. Problem is that you kind of have to "trick" the unit into making it sound that way by moving the depth setting to zero everytime you recall the particular effect. Also, the entire unit seems to mess with with my amps dynamics and it's a whole lot of kit just for one effect.

I'm exploring ideas for a stand alone analogue pedal that will do a similar thing, preferably a simple and an affordable one. The "wow and flutter" sound of a slightly worn VHS, reel-to-reel or cassette tape is what I'm shooting for.

After looking through a lot of the videos on the Pro Guitar Shop website, there doesn't seem to be anything that specializes in this type of sound. All the vibrato and vibe pedals seem too be either too washy, fast, phasey, psychedelic, dramatic, or just a tremolo in disguise. The only one that seems to come close to a true pitch vibrato is the Malekko one but even then I think it may not be subtle enough.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Animal; 09-07-2010, 02:07 PM.

Re: Slow and subtle vibrato/warble in a compact pedal?

red witch moon is subtle and has trem/phase possibilities that you might like

but the first one I thought of while reading was the HBE Psilocybe, which is a phaser yes, but a very vibey one. It's a tweaker, and I got great slow, pulsing, detuned warbles that can be applied in a very small dose and will help you connect with The One if one wishes. Mine was Boss-priced new.
    tele / wolfie
    pittbull 50cl
    greenbacks

Comment

it depends on what you really want...most pedal demos show the crazy side of things...not at all subtle.

The new Fuchs trem/vibe pedal is cool...not sure if this si what you want or not.

The Diamond Vibrato pedal is nice and an be dialed in in a subtle fasion.

You could also try a chorus pedal set up differently...my fav subtle chorus pedals are either the CE-2 for mono or the DC-2 if I want to play stereo.

All that said, if you get a full on Univibe clone, one with both modes the mode called VIBRATO gets a really warbley, sort of sea sick tone and on light depth settings and slow rate settings can be very subtle but still have that character I think you are talking about.

Here is a demo of the Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe 2, the vibrato setting gets used starting around 3:25

If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

CE-3 I think it is? The earliest on with stereo output, and stick a dummy plug in the other output. You get the seasick vibrato instead of chorus. I assume something like the retrosonic will do it too.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

red witch moon is subtle and has trem/phase possibilities that you might like

but the first one I thought of while reading was the HBE Psilocybe, which is a phaser yes, but a very vibey one. It's a tweaker, and I got great slow, pulsing, detuned warbles that can be applied in a very small dose and will help you connect with The One if one wishes. Mine was Boss-priced new.
          The redwitch moon phaser seems very cool, but seems to be too "spacey" for what I'm after. The Psilocybe seems to be mostly phase modulation, though it's very hard to tell what it's capable of when it's not in my possession, same goes for all the other pedals mentioned.

The new Fuchs trem/vibe pedal is cool...not sure if this si what you want or not.
          Sounds more like a wah pedal being slowly rocked back and forth.

The Diamond Vibrato pedal is nice and an be dialed in in a subtle fasion.
          This is one of the few pedals I've heard that definitely is closer what I'm after. That sound at 1:55 on the video is very close except maybe the speed could be dialed back a bit. Also, the chorus sound alone is very tasty. The only problem is that this pedal about $360 in Australia! Though if I wanted to have a chorus and vibrato two replace two seperate pedals then it's not so expensive. Might have to be on the look out on the second hand market.

All that said, if you get a full on Univibe clone, one with both modes the mode called VIBRATO gets a really warbley, sort of sea sick tone and on light depth settings and slow rate settings can be very subtle but still have that character I think you are talking about.

Here is a demo of the Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe 2, the vibrato setting gets used starting around 3:25
          That pedal seems to be in the rough ballpark but maybe is a touch too dark and colours the sound a lot.

CE-3 I think it is? The earliest on with stereo output, and stick a dummy plug in the other output. You get the seasick vibrato instead of chorus. I assume something like the retrosonic will do it too.
          Are there any online demos of this? Would very much like to hear this.

Comment

I know, and use a sound similar to that description quite often, and I achieve it as a finger/hand effect rather than a pedal. Its a mix of horizontal vibrato (shaking your finger left and right rather than up and down) and pushing or pulling the neck of your guitar.

The player I stole this from is Bill Frisell, just sort of listen to when he plays chords in his solo (after 1:14 or so), and that wide warble he gets with just his fingers.

Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
            I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
            Andrew - None

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyPage View Post
              I know, and use a sound similar to that description quite often, and I achieve it as a finger/hand effect rather than a pedal. Its a mix of horizontal vibrato (shaking your finger left and right rather than up and down) and pushing or pulling the neck of your guitar.

The player I stole this from is Bill Frisell, just sort of listen to when he plays chords in his solo (after 1:14 or so), and that wide warble he gets with just his fingers.
              Cheater! Pedals are the solution to everything, go back to your Jazz playing you hippie . . .
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                Cheater! Pedals are the solution to everything, go back to your Jazz playing you hippie . . .
                A few weeks ago I was at a nearby Long and McQuades.. some poor guy was trying out a couple of expensive vibrato style pedals. After about 20 minutes he walked up to me, looked at my feet, and realised I wasn't using a pedal for any of that. After a brief conversation, and I showed the guy how I was doing it, he left quite happy, but the employee gave me a deathglare because that guy seemed to be a sure sale..
                Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
                I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
                Andrew - None

Comment

Never used one, but it's small. Price might be a little more than you want to spend.

Comment

The pickle vibe is a psychedelic vibe pedal through & through. Vibe pedals seem to do a whole lot of other things at once than just pitch vibrato.

Originally posted by TimmyPage View Post

Heh, one funny thing about this pedal search is that I can get a very similar effect by doing almost exactly that. Though I just bend the neck without the finger vibrato. I think I remember seeing some old footage of Townshend doing the same thing, getting warbles out of his SG.

Comment

I've recorded a sample clip of the vibrato effect my DG-stomp can generate. Used a MIM Telecaster into the DG-stomp straight into my computer using the coaxial out. Check it out here:

Effect created via tweaking the Rotary speaker effect on my DG-stomp. MIM Telecaster > DG-stomp > M-Audio Audiophile 2496.

Should hopefully give you guys a much clearer picture now of what I'm chasing. After listening to the clip which is was recorded in stereo straight from the unit, I think the effect sounds much cooler going into my guitar amp. This is probably because when it's in mono the volume and pitch modulation is much more apparent.
                      Last edited by Animal; 09-11-2010, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X