Help me choose some pedals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choose some pedals.

I need some help choosing a delay and a chorus pedal. For delay i was think either the digi tech DL-8 or the carbon copy. For the chorus i was thinking about the digi tech chorus factory. I want a pedals that have variety but also sound good. Just wanted to know what you guys think of those pedals or even reccomend me something else.

Re: Help me choose some pedals.

In terms of delay I've been quite happy with my TC Electronic Nova Repeater...it works really well and sounds quite good to me. I haven't used either of the ones you mention, but I know the Carbon Copy is pretty popular.

I was looking around for chorus a while back but ended up not getting anything yet. I was looking at getting the BYOC Analog Chorus because the clips I've seen sound pretty good and I thought it would be fun to put it together myself. I will say that I've played the EH Small Clone and I wasn't terribly impressed...great if you want to get that Nirvana sound but seemed to be a bit of a one trick pedal.

Comment

The Carbon Copy is a great sounding pedal, however, it is limited in what it can do. I have the Hardwire DL-8 and have found it to be fun, great tones, and very tweak'able. It would be my choice and was between the two you mentioned. I also own the Seymour Duncan Deja Vu. Now, that pedal is one of the best Delay pedals out there, however you have to really work the controls to get the sound you may be looking for. I have found the sounds I want pretty quick on the DL-8, but I am more satisfied with the tones from the Deja Vu. The Deja Vu also gives you the ability to loop other effects into the wet or delay signal and it is a true analog Bucket Brigade delay as well as a digital delay.

I only have one chorus pedal that I use consistently and it is also a Hardwire series. I really like it but I never really compared it or auditioned any other pedals. Really cannot help you there, only to tell you I like it, it does what I need. I do own one other chorus pedal, a Danelectro Wasabi Chorus/Tremolo Pedal, but I purchased it more for its history and as a collector piece. I own the whole series. I think the Digitech Chorus factory uses the same engine as the Hardwire series does and its cheaper.

Comment

what's your budget? that affects my answer

www.guardiancustoms.com

Comment

Honestly, I still really like the Echo Park for a versatile analog or digital voiced delay. I don't really use chorus, but I like the older analog type sounds, the Retrosonic is a clone of a Boss CE-2. Other than that I'd say try out all the chorus pedals at Guitar Center.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Delay: MXR Carbon Copy hands down.

Chorus is a toss up between Voodoo Labs Analog chorus, MXR Chorus, MXR Zakk Wylde Chorus or Boss CE20 is decent
            Originally posted by grumptruck
            No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
            Originally posted by Gear Used
            PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
            Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
            Mesa Stiletto Ace
            Gurus 5015
            Mesa Widebody 1X12
            Pedalboard

Comment

I dont really want to spend more than 150$ for the delay and 100$ for the chorus. Im pretty much decided on the dl-8 unless any of you change my mind.

Comment

The chorus factory rocks. It is a quite the bargain for getting the history of chorus effects in a single pedal. being that a chorus sound is kinda out of fashion, you should be able to find it pretty cheap. i love mine.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Why not the Chorus Factory and the Digidelay, that will keep you under budget. I had a chorus factory, it has some really nice sounds. Definitely worth the price for the quality of the models in it. I have a Digidelay and the quality is the same as CF, sure, it's not analog, but the analog models are really good and try to find an analog delay with 4 seconds of delay time and a looper...

Comment

I have now decided that I also want an EQ pedal. I was thinking the danelectro fish and chips. But i was wondering if any of you had experience with it because its so cheep im worried it may be bad. Is it worth buying it or should i go with something more expensive?

Comment

Check ebay for a used Boss GE-7 or MXR 6 band, nothing against the Dano except that it is plastic and looks like a toy... In fact, if you shop ebay for a used CF, Digidelay, and EQ you should be able to get all three under your original $250 budget for the chorus and delay.

Comment

I had the dano EQ and it broke after about 3 months.

You get what you pay for
                        Originally posted by gibson175
                        metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          The chorus factory rocks. It is a quite the bargain for getting the history of chorus effects in a single pedal. being that a chorus sound is kinda out of fashion, you should be able to find it pretty cheap. i love mine.
                          Surprisingly, no there are not a bunch of CF's out there. Mine is dead and I'm surfing for a replacement.

delay + chorus = visual sound H2O

or

CH-1 and DD-3

or

Line 6 DD-4 (?) and Digitech Chorus Factory (I think that is maximum flex in two pedals)

or

Carbon Copy and Voodoo chorus (for oldskool kool tone - but not terribly flexible)
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Thought I'd chime in on the hardwire digitech dl-8 since I have one. It has incredible tweaking options and true bypass. It has a great analog delay, that is my favorite. The looping feature is fantastic, you get over 20 secs I believe to loop many riffs over each other, just for fun and practice you can't save loops or anything like that. The hardwire pedals are absolutely top notch. I have the tuner and their reverb pedal is number one on my pedal wishlist. They even give you a cover for the knobs so that you don't accidentally mess up your perfect settings once you dialed them in. Also, their delay and reverb pedals have a switch to remove the true bypass and allow the effects to trail off after you turn off the pedal, they have really thought of everything.
                            Last edited by Franknfilms; 09-10-2010, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                              delay + chorus = visual sound H2O
                              Forgot about those, they sound great!

Comment

Working...
                              X