Pedal for solos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedal for solos

I have been running my Jet City combo (which I love) with just my Timmy copy all summer.
    We did 2 songs Wednesday night that I played the solos in (Lift up Your Face by Third Day and To the Ends of the Earth by Hillsong)
    I wanted to add something for my solos, so I grabbed my digidelay, put it on mode 5 (which adds mod to the delay) gave it a little delay (about 200ms) about 1/4 on the repeats, about half on volume. I really liked the tone (especially for the solo on the Hillsong one)
    I have been thinking of adding a solo boost and delay/mod of some sort for solos, but with only acoustic I didnt really need the boost.
    What do you guys use for solos?
    Originally posted by MikeS
    a "career" of playing sold-out bedroom shows to the posters on my wall.
    Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
    whats becoming of this generation
    We want to listen to music while we mow the lawn.

Re: Pedal for solos

I usually add some compression and delay, and roll my guitar's volume knob up.
    After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

When I''m using an amp with an FX Loop, I run a clean boost to either step the volume up for solos, or if I'm running really loud, I use it to step the volume down for rhythm work. Tone stays the same, but volume changes.

With my 1959RR (No loop) I hit the front end with a mid-boosted EQ to give me a bit of a lift but mostly to change the tone enough to cut through.
      www.lockwireguitars.com

Comment

timmy. he stays off for just about everything except solos. i set the treble, bass, and volume at about 3 o'clock (tones are reductive remember) and gain at maybe 10 o'clock. im not trying to add much gain just a fat loud mid punch

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          timmy. he stays off for just about everything except solos. i set the treble, bass, and volume at about 3 o'clock (tones are reductive remember) and gain at maybe 10 o'clock. im not trying to add much gain just a fat loud mid punch
          I did this, put the amp where it was getting some drive, then used the timmy to boost it. I am now using the amp with a little less gain, where the cleans are just getting a little hair on them, and the timmy drives it over the top. So I might need something to boost that sound.
          Originally posted by MikeS
          a "career" of playing sold-out bedroom shows to the posters on my wall.
          Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
          whats becoming of this generation
          We want to listen to music while we mow the lawn.

Comment

Jeff Beck - Big Block (Performing this week...Live at Ronnie Scott's)Available Now: https://mercury-studios.lnk.to/JeffBeckRonnieScottsJeff Beck is a true ro...

Aside from actual gain boosts, I really like this effect when soloing or heavy riffs. Jeff Beck uses it all the time now. In this video he clicks it on at 2:13 for the rest of the song. I think he uses some kind of Ring Modulator now, but I know he did use a Boss Flanger for some time, I think to achieve the same effect. It's just a really cool fast and subtle warble that adds some cool depth. I use one of those crappy cheap Danelectro FAB flangers with the speed way up. You can do this with pretty much any modulation effect like a chorus or a phaser. Not as much with a phaser, because it's good to be able to control the intensity of the modulation, you don't want it too strong.
            Gear:
            Fender '03 CIJ Antigua Strat
            Epi Dot Natural
            Partscaster blackie
            Breedlove Passport Mahogany
            VOX V845 -> MXR Blue Box -> Boss CS-3 -> MXR Phase 90 -> Paul C. Tim OD -> Fulltone Plimsoul -> Boss CE-3 -> EHX Memory Toy -> SD Deja Vu Delay >
            Marshall Artist 30 4202 or Bugera V5

I WORK FOR GC, IF YOU NEED A DEAL PM ME!!!

Comment

I usually just step on my trusty boss blues driver.

Comment

I use a Keeley T.M.B into the front to push the front (it also adds something... sparkle? I don't know but it's awesome) and a CAE Line driver or mxr micro amp into the loop for volume boost.

Comment

Originally posted by Reload in 5 View Post
                  I did this, put the amp where it was getting some drive, then used the timmy to boost it. I am now using the amp with a little less gain, where the cleans are just getting a little hair on them, and the timmy drives it over the top. So I might need something to boost that sound.
                  i set the amp so it has a fat kinda dirty rhythm sound when the guitar is full up and roll it down to clean it up

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    i set the amp so it has a fat kinda dirty rhythm sound when the guitar is full up and roll it down to clean it up
                    I do the same. I usually don't use the knob to clean up because I have it set just clean enough where I can clean up if I switch to the middle and neck single coils on the strat or just play nice and soft. The I use a Boss SD-1 as my usual dirty sound and often use my cool cat fuzz as a boost. Sometimes I'll do the opposite because I keep the cool cat pretty clean, so if I want a slightly dirtier (like the Stones or something) clean sound I'll use it and boost with the overdrive. I may look into another OD and use it instead of the fuzz.
                    Gear:
                    Fender '03 CIJ Antigua Strat
                    Epi Dot Natural
                    Partscaster blackie
                    Breedlove Passport Mahogany
                    VOX V845 -> MXR Blue Box -> Boss CS-3 -> MXR Phase 90 -> Paul C. Tim OD -> Fulltone Plimsoul -> Boss CE-3 -> EHX Memory Toy -> SD Deja Vu Delay >
                    Marshall Artist 30 4202 or Bugera V5

I WORK FOR GC, IF YOU NEED A DEAL PM ME!!!

Comment

Not a pedal: I use the solo boost on my Stiletto. It boosts the volume at the power amp.
                      Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                      Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                      Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Working...
                      X