• Show
Clear All

• Help with order of these specific stomps please

I have :
    Boss NS2,
    BBE Sonic Stomp
    MXR 108 e.q.

I like all three of these but never really used them on the same rig before
    which order should they go in? and also the ns2 has input output send return which should go where

thanks
    THEY SAY A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS. UNLESS THIS IS THE PICTURE AND THE ONLY WORDS I CAN THINK OF ARE "WHAT THE FU@K HAPPENED TO YOU?"
    sigpic
    Bogner Uberschall Twin Jet
    Bogner UberKab
    Washburn Nuno N24 Vintage
    Seymour Duncan El Diablo
    Schecter 006 Elite
    Seymour Duncan AHB 2 Blackout Metal

Re: Help with order of these specific stomps please

If that is all you have, the Boss NS-2 is useless. I would put the MXR 108 in the fx loop because that way it shapes the distortion, although some people prefer it in front. The BBE Sonic Stomp should go last before the power amp.
    Last edited by crguti; 09-14-2010, 02:03 PM.

Comment

^^ what he said, only I'm guessing u want the ns2 to get that gated Dimebag style silence between mayhem chords,... That can also go in loop chain or signal path... I imagine between the eq and sonic gizmo... Rawk!

Comment

I thought that sonic maximizer type things were usually put near the end of your chain, so I'd try sticking that in your effects loop. EQ's will work either in front of the amp or in the loop, so placement is just down to what sounds nice to you (pre-gain EQ, or post gain). If your guitar is noisy, then stick the NS-2 between your guitar and amp. If your amp is noisy then stick it in the loop.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

is there a particular sound you're trying to get out of these pedals? If so, what sound?

What kind of amp and guitar are you using to achieve this sound?
          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
            is there a particular sound you're trying to get out of these pedals? If so, what sound?

What kind of amp and guitar are you using to achieve this sound?
            this

www.guardiancustoms.com

Comment

Well i have a bugera 333xl tube head. I use the ns2 because it can get a bit hissy on higher volumes and gain the mxr108 is used mainly to sweep some mids and boost the gain. the sonic stomp i use to fine tune the overall tone with a bit of a boost.

Think meshuggah in flames meets lamg of god.

i have been messing with it and this is what i came up with

guitar>ns2>amp then (amp) send>mxr108>sonic stomp>return

Head is set as follows gain-80% low-75% mid-25%
              MXR108 is as follows:
              31.25hz +12
              62.5Hz +12
              125Hz -03
              250Hz -12
              500Hz -12
              1Khz -12
              2Khz -03
              4Khz +03
              8Khz -0- flat
              16Khz +06
              GAIN +12

Sonic Stomp Lo Contour 75% Process (high contour) 90%

This gets me a ton of distortion with a bit of swept mids but still get a mid punch, lows are very tight and no mud flop tone the highs are nice and crisp

very distorted punchy and articulate
              THEY SAY A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS. UNLESS THIS IS THE PICTURE AND THE ONLY WORDS I CAN THINK OF ARE "WHAT THE FU@K HAPPENED TO YOU?"
              sigpic
              Bogner UberKab
              Seymour Duncan El Diablo
              Schecter 006 Elite

Comment

All right, it looks like the NS-2 senses pre-loop and gates post-loop. This is exactly what you want - with high gain if you gate before the gain stage it won't kill any noise generated by the distortion, if you gate after, the inherent compression raises the noise enough that you have to chop a lot of signal. The idea is to sense pre-distortion and chop post-distortion.

The signal flow would be: guitar->NS-2 input->NS-2 send->amp input->amp send->EQ->BBE->NS-2 return->NS-2 output->amp return.

This will result in a rig that's totally silent when you're not playing. If you add delay or reverb, they should go after the NS-2's output so their trails are not cut off. Any front-end stompboxes should go between the NS-2 and the amp.

Comment

cool thanks man
                  sigpic
                  Bogner UberKab
                  Seymour Duncan El Diablo
                  Schecter 006 Elite

Comment

Working...
                  X