banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JCM 900 MK III Dual masters how many fans here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: JCM 900 MK III Dual masters how many fans here?

If you don't like diode clipping, throw your distortion/od pedals away. It's not bad....just different. I happen to like the 2205/2210 better than the 2203/2204, but mainly because I like 2 channels for my playing style. There is not a ton of better sounds than a cranked 2204.....that's for sure.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

I've owned a 2501 for 16 years now, and I still love it!

Comment

I have a JCM900 4501 "modded" with EL34s as my gigging amp because it's small and usually makes enough noise for venues we play in.

I figured to post a soundclip of me messing around with my amp because I'm trying to get a good sound of my delay pedal.

Pardon the lousy ass playing. This not meant to showcase my playing at all -- rather just some "good" tone I do get with my JCM900 4501 with EL34s.

Here's the clip: JCM900 4501 Sound Clip

Here's the setting on this small amp:

I used a TS9 in front to get into Metal territory. Used my Ibby RG2550 with Steve's Special (b) and Air Norton (n). The only effects pedals in this set up is the TS9 and Boss RV3.

And can anyone tell me what's wrong with my RV3? There's that irritating "click" every time I hit the strings! I'm NOT a delay user and I'm still trying to figure this out.

And by the way, I took this soundclip using my cellphone's video camera (.3gp format), converted to .avi, cut the video so I can have a smaller file size (soundclick has a 10mb file size limit for mp3s), and then finally to mp3 format. NOT the best "recording gear" nor method. HAHA!
        Last edited by fretburner; 10-28-2010, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Yea the 2205/2210s have diode clipping but it don't sound it.
          The DR have only one tube gain stage the rest is SS,the 2210s have tube gain stages and use diodes(diode bounding??)to increase the gain along the way.A much better design IMO.I'm a big fan on the 2210s,yet hated the DR and borderline hated the Jubilees also.
          Maybe the DR was a further development of the 2210,but I think someone shoulda told Jim Marshall"if it ain't broke don't fix it".IMHO

Comment

The 45xx and 41xx are completely different amps from what we are talking about here. They're not bad with EL34's in them but still, completely different amps.

Unfortunately, the term JCM 900 automatically gets associated with the Dual Reverbs when there are 2 others in the family, the SL-X (or MkIV) and the MkIII, which we are discussing here.

The diode clipping in the DR's is a diode rectifier, same one that is used in the MkIII. It's actually a better way to clip than the typical diode arrangement as seen in distortion pedals such as the DS-1.
            Last edited by ErikH; 10-28-2010, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
              The 45xx and 41xx are completely different amps from what we are talking about here. They're not bad with EL34's in them but still, completely different amps.

Unfortunately, the term JCM 900 automatically gets associated with the Dual Reverbs when there are 2 others in the family, the SL-X (or MkIV) and the MkIII, which we are discussing here.
              I'm aware of that. My post was a reaction to people saying Dual Reverbs are all POS. I think I can get decent tone with it after I changed the tubes to EL34s. Anyway, carry on

Comment

Originally posted by metlking View Post
                I bought a 50 watt MKIII last year as a backup. Its fun to jam on once in a while. Very underratred and loaded with great Marshall tone. Mine has EL34's. I thought they all did?!?!?
                Actually 90 - 93 *early 93* all the 900s had EL34s late 93/94 all the 900s had switched to 5881s. I have played a couple of decent sounding DR amps, just not enough gain for my tastes. I had a 90 MK3 2100 that sounded great with a mxr 108 in the fx loop* and a modded boss ds1 in front of it, then it was a death/black metal machine *cannot complain I traded a marshall major which I paid $ 200 back in 97*. A buddy of mine wanted my mk3 since it was more suited to his hard rock band and he bought a mk4 sl-x 2100 which I paid $ 150 *total invested $ 350* but the sl-x sounded good but not great because it was originally had 5881s, and original marshall preamp tubes.. When I got it had el34s and still the original preamp tubes, I knew it did not sound perfect because it was lacking the balls that my mk3 had. So down to my amp tech, who did the bias mod, new jj e34L high gain tubes, jj high gain preamp tubes and bias. The sl-x is a beast and has its own roar that I love. In my opinion the sl-x just has a better tone versus an 800 2203 head.

I think the only other amp that could make me sell the sl-x is the 6100LM, talk about a versatile amp, that is a who other story but I dont think I would ever sell my sl-x though but I am looking at getting a 6100 LM though just to have an extra amp as well as if anything ever goes wrong with the sl-x, I will have a back up.

Cheers,
                Charlie

Comment

a 50W mkIII is on my GAS list.

Comment

is that a mkIII? how can you tell?

Comment

if its a MK III it will say JCM900 100w(or 50w) HiGain Master Volume MKIII on the front panel.
                      It will not say JCM900 hiGain Dual Reverb
                      pretty simple.
                      The dual channel dual reverbs are a different amp altogether to the master volume models.
                      if you are tryin to work out what that amp in the blurry picture is then its a dual reverb.
                      MkIIIs have 8 knobs. gain. sens. vol1.vol2. treb. mid. bass. presence.
                      duallys have 10. treb. mid. bass. presence. level ch1. gain ch1. level ch2, gain ch2. rev ch1. rev ch2.
                      Last edited by Chickenwings; 12-20-2010, 06:53 AM.
                      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

alright, thanks man, that ones for sale locally and I wanted to know if it was the amp seen in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                        X