X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking at a new phaser????

Originally posted by PVFan View Post
    ^

I'm also interested in a Mojo Hand / Phase 45 or similar 2-stager ...
    the big red Whetstone on the previous page has a 2-stage mode ...

saw a yellow DOD 201 today, there's another one ... looked like someone had taken a ballpeen hammer to it and then they drove over it with a VW bus and then they threw it into a wood chipper so I passed
    Make sure to check them out.

Simply great pedals in my opinion. I am one who is not into too much of "ups and downs" when it comes to phasers. And 45's are great in that regard, a perfect match for my tastes.

B
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

I know it's not a traditional phaser, but the Pigtronix Envelope Phaser is the coolest thing I've seen recently.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Before I say anything....I need to try the Retro Sonic phaser because vintage phase with a level control is great. But, I had one before and thought it lacked some warmth. In all fairness I did not know about the internal trim pot to add thickness and warmth. Wish I knew. It might have helped with sitting in the mix.

Well I got the 1974.

I sold the HBE. I thought it was to thick and at times seemed a little lacking in organic qualities. I was always tweaking too! I don' t mind extra knobs on a delay, chorus, or flanged....but I never seem to find I need all the extras on a phaser.

The EVH MXR phaser was great but in the band setting I doubt anyone could hear the difference between the normal and script mod.
        Small Stone? Too spacey for me.

The 1974 just sounds right, warm and natural. A bit subtle so I will have to see how it sounds with the band. The closest I have gotten to hearing a real phase 90 in a local club is a friend who had a script modded block logo phase 90 and it sits in the mix and is heard fine.

If it works I will mod with power jack and maybe true bypass.....but the bypass as is seems fine! I wonder if adding truebypass would cause any volume drop when engaged???

Based on my experience with T-Rex pedals I might want to try the Tremonti phaser. I guess the benefit is T-Rex pedals sound 3D and lush.
        But what does the 8 stage phaser bring to the table? How many bands have I heard, use 8 stage Phasers? More lush?

Don't know but I go for Alex Lifeson phased clean tones. For phasered distorted tones I go for Lifeson, Van Halen and Lynch type tones.
        I know lynch used a 1974 phaser but it does not sound that subtle.
        Last edited by papersoul; 12-12-2010, 08:45 PM.

Comment

cool dude

out of those I'd grab a 74 too

I love trying them all though
          tele / wolfie
          pittbull 50cl
          greenbacks

Comment

I need to get another RetroSonic to compare.

Comment

Well, I got the MXR 1974, and it is really nice! Rather subtle and you have to listen sometimes to hear it in the mix. I will know more once I use it with the band live! Hard to decide at home!

I wonder if I should try the Retro-Sonic Phaser. Anyone try one?

Sometimes I wish I could make the 1974 stand out more.

If it works out I am going to find someone to mod it with a power jack and maybe true bypass and a an LED. Anyone know where? Analogman? Not sure they are necessary as I hear no tone loss but being it so subtle I wish it had the LED, LOL.

Comment

or just get the Whirlwind.
                tele / wolfie
                pittbull 50cl
                greenbacks

Comment

Originally posted by PVFan View Post
                  or just get the Whirlwind.
                  I have read that the Whirlwind is not as warm, musical and thick as the 1974.
                  Any truth to that? I know Bonomassa sounds good using the Whirlwind but having the level control of the Retro would be nice. I had the Retri andfound it too hi fi so I might skip.
                  Last edited by papersoul; 12-19-2010, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Well, been using my new 1974 MXR CSP026 reissue and it is THE phaser! It just sounds RIGHT! Musical, warm, perfect.

Comment

Working...
                    X