delima on choosing a amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• delima on choosing a amp

so i got my 5150 going and sounding great. i have been trying choose between the 2 amps now. i really don't want the up keep of two amps plus i would use the money towards a nicer cab than the 5150 straight cab i got. they both sound really good. the 515o is a bit more brutal and precise but the carvin has this awesome growl to it. i am not really worried about the versatility because both cover my needs. anyone got experience with he 2 heads. what would you do and why?

now for pros and cons
    peavey 5150
    pros
    plenty of volume
    tighter
    more precise
    lead channel is a bit more brutal
    more simplified layout

cons
    needs the bias mod
    a bit more fizzy (bias mod may fix that?)
    cleans not as good but usable for the amount i need them

Carvin v3

pros
    ability to use el34 or 6l6 tubes
    ability to tweek more
    more girth and warmth or mojo
    adjustable bias
    better cleans
    cons
    ability to tweek more
    doesnt sound like it would cut thru mix as well
    a bit less metal sounding

oh yea i am primarly a lead guitarist but i play i lot of rhythm being i play metal

now fire away
    66.67%
    v3
    33.33%

The poll is expired.

Re: delima on choosing a amp

Dilemma #2: Can't spell "dilemma" or "tweak"

lol

Opinion: If you can tweak the Carvin, then you can get a sound closer to the 5150.
    V3 wins.
    sigpic
    "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
    --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
    Originally posted by Lewguitar
    In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

i promise i play guitar better than i spell

Comment

8 people have voted but only one has posted. Comments please

Comment

I can't think of why that would be a hard choice.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

just by your description it sounds like you'd prefer the 5150
            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I would keep the V3. More to experiment with.

If you like the 5150 better, get some better pre amp tubes and you might get rid of the fizzyness.
              - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
              Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
              The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

5150 is my vote.

+1 on the bias mod...while your tech is in there, those early ones need to have the screen resistors updated if it hasn't already been done. This is absolutely necessary if you are going to bias it even a little hotter.

A NOS 12AY7 in V1 really changes these amps! It gives the distortion sound more attack and takes some of the compression out of it. The clean becomes more useable and crunch tones become MUCH more British. This really helps with the fizziness issue too.
                Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

Yea I think I do like the 5150 a bit better. Thanks for the tip on the preamp tube glassman

Comment

Here's a simple solution. In two columns list each amp's cost and weight. Divide. Buy the one that weighs less per dollar.

That's getting less pang for your buck!

Comment

my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Sounds like the 5150 brings it in real life, and the V3 brings it on paper.
                        my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Originally posted by lareplus View Post
                          Here's a simple solution. In two columns list each amp's cost and weight. Divide. Buy the one that weighs less per dollar.

That's getting less pang for your buck!
                          I own both already....... I am about 90% towrads the 5150 right now. So I think I will end selling the v3. If I played hard rock I think I would keep the v3 but in case you can't tell by now I play metal. At the enf the day the 5150 aint bad for hard rock either though.

Comment

Originally posted by metalmachine View Post
                            8 people have voted but only one has posted. Comments please

If you are looking at the V3 . . . the Traynor might be an option too !

They are very affordable too ! (...for what you get)

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products...uitar_Head.htm - 100W head

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products..._Tube_Head.htm - 50W head
                            Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

I love my V3.
                              Have you thought about a stereo setup with those amps?
                              I'd love to run a JSX/V3 duo just to see.

If you haven't already, get the V3 biased like here.
                              And I'd think about a new tube compliment.

MM
                              MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
                              Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

Working...
                              X