Edward the Compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edward the Compressor

Found one for a good used price. Does anyone like it?

I'm looking for clean sustain, but not that hissy compressor noise that often comes with compressor pedals. .

Re: Edward the Compressor

I have the Marshall ED-1. It is actually a very good compressor. I like the vibe, and the adjustable high and low it has as well.

Comment

I've also got one . . . it's a decent compressor that you can pick up for cheap, lots of gain if you want to use it to boost solos. The hi/lo adjustable thing takes a little while to get used to because it seems to do the opposite of what you think. The knobs are a bit of a pain to see if you're playing somewhere dark and want to make a few tweaks between songs.

If you get hissy compressor noise from this one it's due to your settings and gear, not because the pedal sucks.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
        I've also got one . . . it's a decent compressor that you can pick up for cheap, lots of gain if you want to use it to boost solos. The hi/lo adjustable thing takes a little while to get used to because it seems to do the opposite of what you think. The knobs are a bit of a pain to see if you're playing somewhere dark and want to make a few tweaks between songs.

If you get hissy compressor noise from this one it's due to your settings and gear, not because the pedal sucks.
        + 1 to this.

It also works very well on bass.

When I had mine I used it during recording to tame some of the 'boom' that my former bandmates Jazz bass used to have. He could never EQ it out for some reason, so he borrowed my ED1 to tame it and it really worked well.
        Last edited by Brow; 12-09-2010, 04:42 PM.

Comment

I have found that I have mine on a lot more than I thought I would. Very good compressor, especially for the price.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

The Compressors that interest me most right now are the Vox Snake Charmer, the Jacques Fat Burner, neither of which are available to try around here, and the Boss CS-1 and the ED-1, both of which are in stores locally.

I like the idea that there are some unique characteristics to each of these.

The CS-1 is said to provide a huge amount of compression, which might be nice sometimes, while the ED-1 has the high low feature, which sounds cool.

The Snake Charmer was described as gloopy and having an interesting effect on attack.

I would like to find a compressor that has a small amount of grit, like compression with overdrive, but just mild. . .like artifacts. Someone suggested running a Lo Fi pedal with the compressor, but I think i would like a compressor with something like that available from a knob.

Knobs are groovy, you know!

Comment

Working...
            X