banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Testament PSA for the Block Phase 90 R28 mod.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Testament PSA for the Block Phase 90 R28 mod.

Do it if you own one. I just got a new Block and I really wanted to like the stock sound, but I just couldn't get over how the phase just takes over your sound. I read something, that may have been on this forum, and I'll paraphrase it by saying that the the phase tends to take it over your tone instead of become apart of it or complement it. That's the great thing about the classic Script. I'd love to have the EVH, so i can switch into both. But alas, it's $129 and I paid $56 for my Block on MF.

There is also much talk about how the new models cannot be modded like the old ones because the use SMT components. Erik Hansen has been advocating that on his site, but it is not so.

It's a really simple mod to do. It took me longer to take the PCB out than to snip the single connection with a pair of mustache trimmers.
    Gear:
    Fender '03 CIJ Antigua Strat
    Epi Dot Natural
    Partscaster blackie
    Breedlove Passport Mahogany
    VOX V845 -> MXR Blue Box -> Boss CS-3 -> MXR Phase 90 -> Paul C. Tim OD -> Fulltone Plimsoul -> Boss CE-3 -> EHX Memory Toy -> SD Deja Vu Delay >
    Marshall Artist 30 4202 or Bugera V5

I WORK FOR GC, IF YOU NEED A DEAL PM ME!!!

Re: A Testament PSA for the Block Phase 90 R28 mod.

I had a block-logo 90 a few years ago, and put in a mini-toggle to switch R28 in and out. I generally liked the modded sound better, but it was nice to have the stock sound available.

Then a buddy gave me a 74 RI as payment for doing some pedal mods for him. I added a 3PDT for true bypass, and then sold the block.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

in b4 super ska

I thought the mod also clipped a cap or 2 ?
      tele / wolfie
      pittbull 50cl
      greenbacks

Comment

Originally posted by PVFan View Post
        in b4 super ska

You can, but the R28 is usually the first to go. Some people clip two of the caps to take it even further, but I don't see a reason to now.
        Gear:
        Epi Dot Natural
        Partscaster blackie
        VOX V845 -> MXR Blue Box -> Boss CS-3 -> MXR Phase 90 -> Paul C. Tim OD -> Fulltone Plimsoul -> Boss CE-3 -> EHX Memory Toy -> SD Deja Vu Delay >

Comment

Originally posted by thespricket View Post
          There is also much talk about how the new models cannot be modded like the old ones because they use SMT components. Erik Hansen has been advocating that on his site, but it is not so.
          There are models of the current block logo model that are SMT and were for a while right after the EVH was released, at least a couple years. Same PCB and everything. At some point, they went back to the through-hole, I just don't know exactly when. My site just hasn't been updated with that info until today (thanks for the reminder) .
          Last edited by ErikH; 12-17-2010, 08:51 AM.

Comment

I got a block logo last week and did the mod too (although I desoldered it rather than clipped) and like it much more. As you say, as stock it just took over, but now it's a sweeter, smoother sounding effect and it seems to sound clearer to boot! Thanks to JoeLap for guiding me through the mod in the first place as I knew nothing about it.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
              There are models of the current block logo model that are SMT and were for a while right after the EVH was released, at least a couple years. Same PCB and everything. At some point, they went back to the through-hole, I just don't know exactly when. My site just hasn't been updated with that info until today (thanks for the reminder) .
              You're welcome dude, I didn't mean to bust your chops. I love your site BTW. A lot of people reference your site, I think I saw some big discrepency on The Gear Page or someplace about the SMT thing and your site.
              Gear:
              Epi Dot Natural
              Partscaster blackie

Comment

There's just about enough room in the Phase 90 box to switch a switch in there to make the mod switchable. I have yet to do it to mine, as I actually dig the stock sound. Maybe I'll do that sometime soon.
                7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

I've had this picture for quite a while. This sums up the mods on the modern production Phase 90s pretty well:

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                  I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                  Originally posted by Zerberus
                  Better is often the enemy of good
                  Originally posted by ginormous
                  Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by That90'sGuy View Post
                    I've had this picture for quite a while. This sums up the mods on the modern production Phase 90s pretty well:

Awesome. I gotta try this out. Knowing me, I'll **** something up, though.
                    -Mike-

Originally posted by rhymes with metalchurch79
                    I take peoples advice after i do some quick math to determine if the lie detector test determines they are full of sh**. Take their post count x 5minutes per post = how much time they didnt spend playing or working on their guitars. The Pros will be spotted right away.

Comment

Originally posted by PVFan View Post
                      in b4 super ska

lolwut
                      Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
                      ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

Originally posted by thespricket View Post
                        You're welcome dude, I didn't mean to bust your chops. I love your site BTW. A lot of people reference your site, I think I saw some big discrepency on The Gear Page or someplace about the SMT thing and your site.
                        It's no problem. I've seen the posting on TGP about it and the guy just simply didn't understand the disclaimer. The next poster is the same person who shared his info with me regarding SMT boards being in them.

Comment

Working...
                        X