Nad!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nad!!!!!!!

Got myself a Vypyr Tube 60. I'm using my old amp as an amp stand to get the best sound out of it.

Yes it's a modeler, but its the best one out there, period. I did my comparisons and this is the amp that will last me for a while.Once I get the foot switch, I'll have a gigging setup and a recording setup. It has an auxiliary in so I can play to my iPod, a headphone out, and a USB out. It has stomp-box modelers and rack modelers, and 12 amp models, 2 channels each. The layout is very self explanatory; the instructions are literally written on the front of the amp, without cluttering it up. My favorite amp models so far are the Plexi, the Recto, The Diezel, and the Twin.

The amp has an analog preamp with some epic digital FX modeler. The whole preamp runs into a 12AX7 as a kind of buffer, then that into a pair of 6L6's.

I did get to crank it... It was nice being able to boost the treble a bit and not hurt my ears. The 6L6's have more headroom, so there wasn't a lot of breakup, but it still sounded good. Anything really was an upgrade from a Bandit 112.

However, review or whatever aside, I have questions (this is my first tube/hybrid amp)

What preamp tube is good for warmth? (this isn't a gain stage tube, merely a buffer tube)

I did my research and the stock power tubes for this amp and they glow, but a tube swap 90 of the time fixes it. Are glowing tubes bad?
    Originally posted by jmh151
    I'd hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the King of England
    Originally posted by jeremy
    like if we were walking down the sidewalk and you said "hey check her out" chances are i already saw her and mentally sodomized her
    Originally posted by grumptruck
    Media only reports on what the sheeple wanna see/hear/read.
    Sometimes not read.
    dats hard

Re: Nad!!!!!!!

Sweet, man. I don't really know anything about those amps but it sounds like you're happy with it so it's all good. Congrats!

And yeah, tubes are supposed to glow and heat up. Just wait until after a long jam session and you can listen to them tick as they cool down while you're breathing in the beautiful aroma of warm glass. That smell is like nothing else, trust me.
    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

I am happy. I just need to get the footswitch and I'll be set for quite a while.

Now I just have to get that Epiphone 1984 Explorer!

I'm over that. I'll just swap the bridge on my guitar and grab a Gibson Explorer as a backup, but that's a story for a different section of the forum.
      I'd hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the King of England
      like if we were walking down the sidewalk and you said "hey check her out" chances are i already saw her and mentally sodomized her
      Sometimes not read.
      dats hard

Comment

Congratulations and Happy Birthday!!

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
          Congratulations and Happy Birthday!!
          I second Jolly's sentiment.

On the tube recommendation, we really need to know what is in the amp now for tubes and which way you want to go with the tubes. Also, what sound are you trying to achieve. The more descriptive the better.
          Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
          Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

Nice one.... happy birhtday too!

Comment

The sound I am looking for is a very warm and chunky sound. Very thunderous and warm. It needs a good amount of clarity. In a nutshell, James Hetfield's live tone is what I'm looking for. I don't need the exact tone, but the chunky warmth of it. For those who don't know the sound I refer to, it's something like this.

Sometimes not read.
              dats hard

Comment

Thanks, guys! This is the best birthday present I've had... This amp is amazing.
                Sometimes not read.
                dats hard

Comment

Originally posted by SamusChief View Post
                  The sound I am looking for is a very warm and chunky sound. Very thunderous and warm. It needs a good amount of clarity. In a nutshell, James Hetfield's live tone is what I'm looking for. I don't need the exact tone, but the chunky warmth of it.
                  Let me know when you find it. That's a rhythm tone I'm always trying to get close to myself.

Comment

I watched a video of his rig once. He runs a Mesa Triaxis preamp into a Diezel. I cried when I saw his rig. It was just absolutely amazing.
                    Sometimes not read.
                    dats hard

Comment

follow your own advice and stop buying ridiculous gear, then move.
                      tele / wolfie
                      pittbull 50cl
                      greenbacks

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
                        Sweet, man. I don't really know anything about those amps but it sounds like you're happy with it so it's all good. Congrats!

And yeah, tubes are supposed to glow and heat up. Just wait until after a long jam session and you can listen to them tick as they cool down while you're breathing in the beautiful aroma of warm glass. That smell is like nothing else, trust me.
                        Sniff sniff... AHHHHH I think Glade should make a Hot tube or new amp scent.. may sound kooky, but I love to smell my splawn when she is cookin

Congrats on the new amp!! PVs are great! I didnt know the Vyper had power tubes.. cool
                        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by PVFan View Post
                          follow your own advice and stop buying ridiculous gear, then move.
                          Last time I checked my amp is under $500... Pretty great value for the features... tubes... Explain how this is ridiculous. I'm 16. I can't even own a house or rent an apartment. Please make a logical argument.

On a lighter note, BloodRose, The Vypyr series has the SS Analog stuff, and a few amps that have a 12AX7 pre amp tube and 6L6 power tubes, in 60 and 120 watt combo, and a 120 watt head.
                          Sometimes not read.
                          dats hard

Comment

okay, so you don't like being told that either.
                            tele / wolfie
                            pittbull 50cl
                            greenbacks

Comment

No I just don't understand how that argument can be applied to me.
                              Sometimes not read.
                              dats hard

Comment

Working...
                              X