banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

peavey rock master head ,should i park the tubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: peavey rock master head ,should i park the tubes?

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
    How do you slave amps together??
    Use the pre amp signal from one to drive just the power section of another, while bypassing it's pre amp.
    - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
      I can't think of one "rockmaster" who used a Peavey Rockmaster. It's a power that must be harnessed! LOL

But I can't help but think.....if I had a few amps and an old Peavey tube amp....use it as a slave amp, not a preamp!
      Actually, Kim Gordon from Sonic Youth used one from 2000 - 2006 in her stage setup. Check it out:

http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/eq/kim.html

You got it right, Gearjoneser, it's a helluva sweet sounding amp!

Comment

Thought I'd post the schematics, operation manual and some other noob goodies because it took me FOREVER to find these when my Rock Master died:

Peavey Rockmaster Schematic and PCB board layouts (7 knob):
        http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...head-enzo-.pdf

Peavey Rock Master Operation Manual: http://www.peavey.com/media/pdf/manuals/80300061.pdf

A tube pinout guide: http://www.bustedgear.com/res_Tube_pinouts.pdf

and a solid reference for amp repair by the master, J Darr: http://www.diyguitarist.com/Misc/J_Darr.htm

Hope that helps someone!

Comment

If the tubes heat up in a uniform manner...go for it.

I have a Peavey Classic VT series(50W, 212) that had 4 old RCA 6L6GC's when I bought it....they're still good, but swapped them out for a set of Sovteks that really brightened it up. However, a good friend of mine(that's also a member here) proved to me that for tubes, Peaveys LOVE Groove Tubes...may be something to consider.

Comment

Do you happen to know which exact Groove Tubes 6L6 type you tried Slap?
            Since almost all Groove Tubes are relabeled tubes from Russia, Slovakia and China.
            Would be nice to know what exact type of Groove Tube 6L6 you liked in your Peavey so I can find out what tube it actualy is.
            Thanks in advance for your reply!
            "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Well.....I know that they are the Gold series(middle breakup range). As far as the country of origin...

These tubes actually belong to my buddy "skynyrd" here on the forums....that may be a question better directed to him. He allowed me to try'em so I could see how they differed from the Sovteks that I still have in it, and the original USA-made RCA's(which I still have as well).

Comment

OK, hot from the presses...LOL

His GT Golds are of the Russian variety. Apparently the Chinese and Slovakian-sourced tubes are not as linear as the Russians, hence the better qualities....and I CAN speak of the"edge" these get when you really "lean" on the volume.

I was thinking this was still of the "hybrid" variety....then I noticed the preamp tubes under the wire mesh behind the power amp tubes. I may see if I can get him in here to comment first-hand on the best route to go on those....
                Last edited by Slap's RedLP; 01-09-2011, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Your preamp tube choices will give you the finetune on your tone, for V1 which is the preamp tube closest to the input jacks get a JJ Tesla ECC803-S, it is a hi gain spiral filament low noise preamp tube, then for the last tube next to the power tubes get a Sovtek ECC83 LPS that is your phase inverter tube, it has long plate and spiral filament to reduce noise also,, then any of the tubes in between swap them around with various makes to find your tone.
                  The Groove Tube Gold 6L6 R tubes are a touch less power wise ( not noticably ) but when you lean into the volume they will growl at you like 2 ton grizzly. When you keep the volume back to a normal range they retain a crisp clean air and don`t mud up on the amp. If you play heavy metal I would suggest a #4 breakup, or a #6 if you want decent drive and still keep a good clean tone.

Comment

thanks for all of the opinions and suggestions.......i am just a happy tube amp rookie with 2, 120 watt all 6L6 powered half stacks....i am so glad i finaly woke up to what i was missing with my ss crap.
                    play louder than the other guy.....

Comment

Didn't you just bring that amp to me? It sounded killer!!! You did have one tube that was out, but I had an original Peavey labeled RCA6L6 which we put in there.

Jeff Seal
                      Houston amp repair
                      ..lots and lots of toys!

"...swords and tequila, carry me through the fight!"

"I am Phil"....
                      www.houstonamprepair.com

Comment

RavenDouglas - You're lucky that you live close by to Jeff's place. When you get up the scratch, buy a Marshall JCM-800 or a silverface bassman and let Jeff work his magic on it. You won't be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Seal View Post
                          Didn't you just bring that amp to me? It sounded killer!!! You did have one tube that was out, but I had an original Peavey labeled RCA6L6 which we put in there.

Jeff Seal
                          Houston amp repair
                          hey jeff...i just had a repair done on my triple x ,not my rock master.....as far as i know my triple x went from g.c. to someone named morrow....not sure who actually did the work...i requested a copy of the invoice and work order from gc..since it was a warranty repair...but they were for what ever reason not able to do that...i have no idea what was wrong or what was fixed....but it is kicking much ass now.lol

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                            Besides thinking of tubes, think of this....

You've got some solid state amps with better pre sections than that amp has. The Rockmaster has a better power section.

You should sit a solid state amp next to this amp, both with speaker loads attached. Plug into the SS halfstack, run a DI out or Input out into the FX loop return of the Rockmaster. You can daisy chain the two, and either end up with the SS pre > Rockmaster power > speaker cab. Or, if it's DI out, you'll have the SS amp running and the Rockmaster running. Just make sure both amps see a speaker.
                            im a little slow sometimes,sorry about that...yeah gear jonser..i USED to have s.s. amps..i sold the last one i bought to help pay for my new peavey triple x....now i run the 2 peavey tube half stacks..in stereo,off of my effects unit....it is a brutal set up that i am still tinkering with.

Comment

... @VK - you must be talking about this ATA "incased" amp head ... -> Peavey MX... see atttachment...

... amp in pic's not mine but I owned one around '83/'84 - not a band amp per se but not all tube either - preamp was SS... power amp stage = 6L6 x4. Speakers also in ATA case were Scorpion... later to be fave speakers of one Nuno Bettencourt...
                              Originally posted by XSSIVE
                              2011 twittered, it wants the 80's guitar playing talent back.
                              Originally posted by formula73

@YHWH: she's not worn out, just broken IN.

Comment

Working...
                              X